Brown Ties Matt Hughes for Most Finishes in UFC WW History

He couldn't even finish Dan Hardy while being in dominant position for 25 minutes, your point is invalid.

that's funny how the same fighters that he's faced got finished by other fighters shortly after he fought them? thought I'd mention that too.

Dominating Hardy and allowing him to do zero offensively in the fight is more impressive than a finish

Dominating Hardy and allowing him to do zero offensively in the fight is more impressive than a finish

that must explain why gsp apologized after that fight for giving a lackluster performance and not getting the easy finish. Then went ahead and had his coach explain to him how to apply the correct submission in the locker rooms immediately after the fight was over....you must live in a delusional fantasy world thinking that's more impressive than a finish.

that must explain why gsp apologized after that fight for giving a lackluster performance and not getting the easy finish. Then went ahead and had his coach explain to him how to apply the correct submission in the locker rooms immediately after the fight was over....you must live in a delusional fantasy world thinking that's more impressive than a finish.

You really, really, don't like GSP do you. I can understand not being a fan, I never was a fan of Fedor but I recognize his brilliance as a fighter. You go way beyond though, you go out of your way in every thread to talk shit about GSP.

Unfortunately for you he is one of the greatest mixed martial artists of all time.

There is a little difference when Matt Brown spent his UFC career fighting guys outside the top 15 and Matt Hughes who won 9 UFC title fights.

Strength of competition

Matt Hughes is a champion...one of the greatest UFC champions ever. No one will ever remember Matt Brown.

What is wrong with the kids on this forum?

Matt Hughes has 11 wins over top 10 ranked opponents. Matt Brown spent his UFC career on the junior varsity team.
Source:
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/documented-top-ten-wins-mma-fighters-pride-ufc-2166169/

Just stating facts, nowhere did I say his resume is anywhere near Hughes'. Almost nobody's is, regardless of division.

Nah, it aint.

13.gif

25f5zmc1.gif

he could definitely teach gsp a thing or two (or three) about getting finishes.

Except the whole part where Matt Brown would lose to the majority of GSP's wins, let alone worry about finishing them.

Have you actually ever made 1 good post, since you signed up here?

I like how you cry about everything GSP does. He beat all your heroes. DEAL WITH IT!

Mike Fridley scores the round 10-9 Hardy (round 2).

Hardy will never win a round vs GSP, and will never score a TD on GSP.

That punch Hardy throws against Condit, which is countered, will never come that close to GSP's face and may never be thrown in a fight vs GSP.

GSP is not a counter fighter, he is not a power puncher. GSP runs guys over and makes when wilt. It's easier to defend and prepare for. He's pressure and moves forward. Hardy knew he had zero options and fought like it. He stalled and made faces. He fought to survive, and he did. He was very proud of himself after the fight.

Finishes happen for a reason, it's not math.

That punch Hardy throws against Condit, which is countered, will never come that close to GSP's face and may never be thrown in a fight vs GSP.

GSP is not a counter fighter, he is not a power puncher. GSP runs guys over and makes when wilt. He's pressure and moves forward. Hardy knew he had zero options and fought like it. He stalled and made faces. He fought to survive, and he did. He was very proud of himself after the fight.

I like the compelling arguments of Lytle and Condit, though. One guy couldn't get a good enough win streak to ever earn a fight with GSP, while the other got dominated for 95% of his fight with GSP.

Too funny.

GSP is not a counter fighter, he is not a power puncher. GSP runs guys over and makes when wilt. It's easier to defend and prepare for. He's pressure and moves forward. Hardy knew he had zero options and fought like it. He stalled and made faces. He fought to survive, and he did. He was very proud of himself after the fight.

Georges really is a bit of an oddity. He is criticized to hell and back by alot of people but his form of dominance, and I'm sure I'll catch shit for this, is really just as impressive to me as other great champions that get alot of KO's. GSP won 33 consecutive rounds for the love of god. Its a record that may stand for the rest of my life and he gets criticized even for that. He beat every fighter he ever faced, how many champs can say that? Any? He retired as champion on his terms with the most wins in UFC history.

I honestly think the hate for him stems from the fact that he was too good.

I like the compelling arguments of Lytle and Condit, though. One guy couldn't get a good enough win streak to ever earn a fight with GSP, while the other got dominated for 95% of his fight with GSP.

Too funny.

I'm a big NBK fan, have been since his WEC days and also a GSP fan so that fight was a bit tough for me because one of them had to lose. I also attended the Dallas event recently where Condit got injured. Very dissapointing. The Hendricks/Lawler fight was bad ass though, the crowd was crazy loud for that fight.

The difference is Hughes fought the best of the best. Brown hasnt.

I honestly think the hate for him stems from the fact that he was too good.
Or, the fact that he would beat just about everyone without very much trouble, in such a way that essentially made them look like an amateur... all while employing a style which they personally did not find entertaining (this being in reference to post-Serra GSP, of course; he was an utter savage from like 03-06).

He has had maybe four legitimately competitive fights throughout his career (Karo, Penn I, Hendricks, Serra I). Looked great against Hughes the first time as well.

In reality, Georges St-Pierre was p4p #1 for years whether or not he was widely recognized as such, and is not only a legend but also one of the very best we have ever seen in the short history of this Sport.

really? really?

that's fucked and perhaps most warped nut sack clinging ive ever see..

really? really?

that's fucked and perhaps most warped nut sack clinging ive ever see..
Not sure if I'd go so far as to say it's more impressive than a finish, but what's not impressive about dominating a professional fighter so utterly that he pretty much didn't have a chance to get in the fight or even hurt you for 25 minutes?

It honestly seems like GSP toyed with him by attempting the armbar just because he could. He very may well have thought, "okay, the submission is right there, but why do I need to take it when I can do whatever I want to this guy?" Bear in mind, also, that legends have made impulsive decisions that harmed their legacy before, hence "no mas".

While it is impossible to say what his intention actually was because we can never truly know, we can say that he wasn't putting his hips in, which is a mistake you typically just don't see from non-white belts; it almost looked like pro wrestling because he definitely wasn't actually trying to hyperextend Hardy's elbow joint. So, does GSP make white belt mistakes in the Octagon, or is Cain Velasquez a liar for claiming that he could have armbarred JDS in their second fight, but didn't so as to keep beating on him?

Last edited:
Brown's a badass and he should be fighting someone ranked betwwen #8 and #5 next. The guys on a 7 fight win streak. What else does he have to do to get a big fight at WW?

people want to shit on his wins but he can only fight who they put in front of him and he has absolute destroyed the competition. I mean he has not even had a competitive match in years.

I don't think it is that at all. It is more that people shit on guys who are fighting way better comp and not finishing as if it does not matter.

You have guys like Condit, Diaz, Hendricks step up in comp and their finish rates plummet and yet guys ignore the level of comp difference and just think these guys are fighting different.

I will say it again and again. Brown should never step up in comp. Stay where he is and highlight and many will argue he is GOAT soon enough as they simply ignore level of comp.

Back