Brown Belt

Here is my gauntlet (WARNING..partial male buttcrack nudity)

Didnt know they give belts in Zumba. :icon_lol:

Congrats!

Congratulations man, great achievement.

Running the gauntlet with no Gi top is hardcore, no doubt!

Stellar accomplishment. Congrats.

Can you describe the transformation of your game from one belt to the next?

Awesome! That looks like a brutal gauntlet. I think I was apart of the last gauntlet in my school.

had respect when you said you earned your brownbelt, then i watched your gauntlet video and was i awe..until the zumba video. lol. congrats

Stellar accomplishment. Congrats.

Can you describe the transformation of your game from one belt to the next?

FRAT warning...

At white belt I was obsessed with BJJ (well I still am...). Like many beginners, I felt I needed to learn EVERY move to get good. I trained 6 days per week, watched videos, read forums, and tried to learn every fancy move, thinking if I just got all the puzzle pieces, I would have this whole BJJ thing figured out. I didn't really have my own game at all.

At blue belt, I began throwing out a lot of the "junk" moves that didn't really work for me. As I spent my time at white belt trying to learn every fancy move possible, I spent my time at blue belt narrowing down my game to what worked best for me, and then trying to expand upon those parts. From top, I worked on getting good at passing guard standing, and working chokes and armlocks set up from side control. From bottom, I became a half guard player almost exclusively. By the end of blue belt I was pretty comfortable with half and deep half guards. I could waiter sweep or homer simpson sweep most any blue/purple belt.

For purple belt, I expanded upon my strengths to make my game more varied. I prefer passing guard standing, but greatly improved my toreando and knee slice passing. I learned to chain together a few different guard passes in a relentless fashion to pass most peoples guards. My half guard remained solid, but got better at deep half and learned to transition to x-guard and single leg x-guard to vary my attacks. I found people got better at defending my basic stuff, so had to stay one step ahead of them.

Going on brown belt now, I am working on imposing my will. I play around a lot, and certainly don't mind "losing" in practice; but I want to work on establishing dominant positions and punishing my opponent for getting there. I need to work on finishing submissions, as I specifically worked more on positions and sweeps for the last couple years. I know a lot of submissions, but my finish rate isn't where I would expect a brown belt to be.

PS I am a black belt in Zumba under Ari Bolden

FRAT warning...

At white belt I was obsessed with BJJ (well I still am...). Like many beginners, I felt I needed to learn EVERY move to get good. I trained 6 days per week, watched videos, read forums, and tried to learn every fancy move, thinking if I just got all the puzzle pieces, I would have this whole BJJ thing figured out. I didn't really have my own game at all.

At blue belt, I began throwing out a lot of the "junk" moves that didn't really work for me. As I spent my time at white belt trying to learn every fancy move possible, I spent my time at blue belt narrowing down my game to what worked best for me, and then trying to expand upon those parts. From top, I worked on getting good at passing guard standing, and working chokes and armlocks set up from side control. From bottom, I became a half guard player almost exclusively. By the end of blue belt I was pretty comfortable with half and deep half guards. I could waiter sweep or homer simpson sweep most any blue/purple belt.

For purple belt, I expanded upon my strengths to make my game more varied. I prefer passing guard standing, but greatly improved my toreando and knee slice passing. I learned to chain together a few different guard passes in a relentless fashion to pass most peoples guards. My half guard remained solid, but got better at deep half and learned to transition to x-guard and single leg x-guard to vary my attacks. I found people got better at defending my basic stuff, so had to stay one step ahead of them.

Going on brown belt now, I am working on imposing my will. I play around a lot, and certainly don't mind "losing" in practice; but I want to work on establishing dominant positions and punishing my opponent for getting there. I need to work on finishing submissions, as I specifically worked more on positions and sweeps for the last couple years. I know a lot of submissions, but my finish rate isn't where I would expect a brown belt to be.

PS I am a black belt in Zumba under Ari Bolden

Thanks for the response. I've been training since '04 but am just a blue belt and now trying to narrow my game. I think it's a common progression. A common falacy of the beginner is equating quantity with quality but this over-exposure to techniques makes it easier to see later on in the journey what will work (for you) and what won't (for you). I'm 6'5'', 240 lbs. I'm never going to play like Cobrinha.

Congrats man! That will be a priceless video for you many years from now.

I've been training since '04 but am just a blue belt and now trying to narrow my game.

If you've been training for 9 years and you're still just a Bluebelt then it might be time to find a new hobby/sport.

If you've been training for 9 years and you're still just a Bluebelt then it might be time to find a new hobby/sport.

You are either joking or the biggest fucking idiot/asshole on the forum, which would be a pretty incredible achievement.

That's cool. If you're ever in STL, shoot me a PM. I'd love to roll.

You just can't say something like this to somebody without knowing his path.

I'm training from almost 9 years too and I'm still blue belt, I had every kind of injury possible and some other major life problems that kept me away from training as much as I wanted to.

And even if it was 9 straight years of good training and you are still blue belt level who fucking cares if you are still enjoying it.

Back