Brown Belt Instructor?

My instructor is a purple belt and twice a year he brings in Gracie Black Belts for testing, or belt progression, or whatever you want to call it.

I don't remember who he had slotted in this year. He told me and I forgot.

My instructor is awesome and I assume he will get his brown this year as well.

it does not matter if you are a brown belt- it is who the brown belt is from.

someone with a brown belt from a legit black belt means a lot more than someone who has a brown belt from some generic 'we have black belts' kind of gyms. i am mainly thinking of branded gyms, etc.

I'm a brownbelt running my own school. www.valkobjj.com

I don't give out belts. I've heard that you can and that you can't, so I don't. Until I get my blackbelt I will bring in a blackbelt t o promote students if needed.

I teach the omoplate to whitebelts all the time. In my style omoplata is one of the more important moves. Foot locks not so much. I don't ignore them like many schools do, but I teach them cautiously and mostly for defensive reasons to white belts.

Great post.. this is how it should be done

It's just bad instruction. In this case, the belt has less to do with it than you think. I've seen brown belts that teach better than some black belts, but it isn't always the case. Knowing the stuff is one thing, but knowing how to convey it and what to convey is the difficult part about teaching.

I train under a brown as well. As many others have noted, for white belts it's mostly about instruction more than rank. As a beginner, I feel like I am receiving outstanding instruction - every class, I learn at least one new technique AND get enough opportunity to roll that I get a rudimentary idea of how to apply it in an open roll. I don't think I could ask for much better then that...I'm hard pressed to think of ways that a black belt might make a difference at my level.

An important part of making this work that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread is the way the instructor's attitude influences the whole gym. Our instructor is a very relaxed, articulate guy who puts a high priority on instruction, and as a direct result all of the purples and blues share that attitude. The benefit to me as a white is that I get thoughtful instruction as a part of every roll with every higher belt, and that makes a huge difference.

Our instructor has awarded a blue since I have been there, but the guy who was promoted had just wrecked his division in a state-level tournament, so it's pretty hard to argue with that.

WAR Brown belts who are good instructors!!!!!

I think many brown belts are reluctant to give out blue belts, although many do give out stripes. Theres nothing wrong from learning from a brown belt. One of my instructors is a brown belt and he is awesome both as a teacher and his bjj is excellent. I think its also fine for purple belts to be instructors but I don't shouldn't really be able to give out belts.

Theres nothing wrong with learning omoplatas at the white belt stage, its not a dangerous technique and it doesn't lead to loss of position like many leglocks would do. Most bjj clubs that teach gi won't normally teach leglocks to white belts and definantly wouldn't allow them in sparring. At the blue belt stage, people will learn leglocks but will generally only be allowed to use an achilles anckle lock in sparring. Knee bars are generally used at purple belt and any leg lock is allowed at brown/black.

Although there are some techniques that you aren't allowed to do even at black belt level, such as grapevining the other persons leg whilst they are standing and you are sitting.

To be honest, I don't think I would put much trust in an instructor who got subbed or controlled by a white belt with only one months experience. Are you sure that your instructor wasn't just allowing your brother to do those techniques. I don't personally put 100% into sparring with white belts. I just let them do what they please and maybe I will go light and not use my hands (not boasting, its easier than you would imagine).

To be honest, I don't think I would put much trust in an instructor who got subbed or controlled by a white belt with only one months experience. Are you sure that your instructor wasn't just allowing your brother to do those techniques. I don't personally put 100% into sparring with white belts. I just let them do what they please and maybe I will go light and not use my hands (not boasting, its easier than you would imagine).

He didnt say a whote belt controlled the instructor. He said the WB controlled the new Blue. But I would agree a white belt should have nothing for a Brown. I dont think he is saying one did. He was talking about the blue I am pretty sure.

My bro goes to a gym where a brown belt is the BJJ instructor. I haven't been doing BJJ for very long but I know a good instructor when I see one. I went for a free class and he was showing white belts armbar transition to triangle to omoplata to foot lock. Most of the white belts were A) doing the subs incorrectly and B) and the instructor had a student practicing with him so he had no time to correct any of the students; myself included. Is this too much for white belts to be learning?

Second of all, he awarded a blue belt that day to a kid with a wrestling background. (It was the guys 2nd month practicing BJJ, mind you.) We all rolled with the new blue belt and he just mounted all the white belts but could not finish them. One white belt actually controlled him during the 4 min. spar. because he was just as strong as this wrestler kid.

My question is:

Can a brown belt award belts? And is he just giving belts away? Should brown belts not be instructors for the reason that they haven't really taken any instructor courses? (Or do BJJ instructors not do instructor courses)

Thanks all.

At the moment, what can you learn from a BB that you can't learn from a brown?
The answer is nothing.

At the moment, what can you learn from a BB that you can't learn from a brown?
The answer is nothing.

I think that depends on who the BB and who the brown is. A higher level BB will generally known a few things that a brown may not.

I do understand what you mean, I have had excellent instruction from both my BB and brown belt instructor and I am very thankfull to both of them for what they have taught me.

lets put it this way... this is my instructor and he's a brown belt. you tell me if you think he's worthy enough to hand out belts.

m_1cb9a59eebcaf52eaaa42bff7733e3b9.jpg

Belt level means nothing. It's all about quality of instruction.

My bro goes to a gym where a brown belt is the BJJ instructor. I haven't been doing BJJ for very long but I know a good instructor when I see one. I went for a free class and he was showing white belts armbar transition to triangle to omoplata to foot lock. Most of the white belts were A) doing the subs incorrectly and B) and the instructor had a student practicing with him so he had no time to correct any of the students; myself included. Is this too much for white belts to be learning?

Second of all, he awarded a blue belt that day to a kid with a wrestling background. (It was the guys 2nd month practicing BJJ, mind you.) We all rolled with the new blue belt and he just mounted all the white belts but could not finish them. One white belt actually controlled him during the 4 min. spar. because he was just as strong as this wrestler kid.

My question is:

Can a brown belt award belts? And is he just giving belts away? Should brown belts not be instructors for the reason that they haven't really taken any instructor courses? (Or do BJJ instructors not do instructor courses)

Thanks all.

White belt is not too soon to be transitioning from armbar to triangle to omaplata. In fact, I think it's often a requirement (and should be) to reach blue.

Sounds like a crappy instructor though. Who awards a wrestler a blue belt after only 2 months. Thats just absurd.

It really comes down to the individual. Some of the major academys (even in Brazil) have browns and purples teaching, and as teachers they are better than some of the Black belts. In the late 90s I took privates with a purple belt at the Machados in Torrance and til this day I use the stuff he showed me, was better than any Black belt instruction I ever had.

Good teachers can be hard to find.

We have white belts that train with us that have 20 years wrestling experience. They can give a harder match than some purples. Throw in the guys that wrestled in College and white belt has a new meaning. Just because a guy is a white belt doesnt mean he isnt good on the mat.

Hard to judge rankings based on a single match or single night.

www.abhaya.ca

Rowan Cunningham is currently a brown belt and is regarded as a fantastic instructor.

The other instructors at the school are both blue belts currently, but both are a wealth of experience and knowledge.

my instructor is a brown belt and hes been training for a very long time and used to wrestle. He is a great instructor too.

brown belts can award up to purple ---or is it blue-- they can give stripes also

blue belt doesnt mean tht much-imo --its a good grasp of the basics-- purple and above u gots some real skillls

Back