Bros form Tokyo: Need Advice!

SoSexy

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm a 25 yr old homie from the Philippines looking to travel to Tokyo for the IBJJF Asian Open. Going there well in advance (arriving Sept 7, comp days are Sept 12-13), to hopefully get a chance to go around and explore the city. Given my terrible trip-planning skills, I once again humbly ask my Sherdog brothers and sisters for advice on the following:

1. Comp Location is at Tokyo Budokan. Do you guys have any suggestions on which hostel I can stay at? Preferably where I can meet fellow travellers as I'll be alone for a significant part of the trip. I'm very open to moving around a few times and staying at different districts :)

2. Would you recommend academies I can visit for light pre-comp training? Preferably those without ridiculously high drop-in fees (my friend dropped by and had to pay $50 for a class). Any Sherdoggers there looking to hang out and train?

3. Any must-see places you guys can recommend? I've only begun research and already I'm very interested in hiking up Mt Fuji and seeing some of the old towns and getting lost in the city. Obviously, can't go out drinking or anything like that 'til after the comp.

4. Is there an affordable way to get mobile data plans in Japan with a cheap local SIM? I've found in my travels that having Google Maps readily available is extremely useful. Also, a lot of other Filipinos will be there to compete so I'd like to be able to have the ability to maybe text them to meet up.

Once again, I thank all of you in advance for what's sure to be solid advice.

Thanks!

Step 1: Track down Hassy and party with him. Post pictures on Sherdog.

Everyone wants to climb Mt. Fuji until they start to climb Mt. Fuji. LOL. I climbed it back in 2008 in July and holy shit was it painful. Only took us about 4 hours going up if you start from station 5, but coming down is hell.

If you stay in the Tokyo area, there really isn't a train stop that isn't worth it. Yokohama is incredible. If you go to Isshikawacho, there is a Chinatown there that is sweet. Roppongi if you want to party all night, Akihabara if you like electronics, and Shibuya is just plain awesome. I spent most of my free time exploring Shibuya.

Tons of sights to see everywhere. I lived there for 3 1/2 years and found something new to do every weekend.

I wish I could help you on the other stuff, but I moved away in 2011, so things have changed.

Training fees will typically be high. Japan is expensive but I am sure more people can give you advise on how to make it cheaper.

Paraestra
Axis
Tri Force
Carpe Diem

That is what comes to mind right for Tokyo. There are many others so I will try to post some more.

Everyone wants to climb Mt. Fuji until they start to climb Mt. Fuji. LOL. I climbed it back in 2008 in July and holy shit was it painful. Only took us about 4 hours going up if you start from station 5, but coming down is hell.

If you stay in the Tokyo area, there really isn't a train stop that isn't worth it. Yokohama is incredible. If you go to Isshikawacho, there is a Chinatown there that is sweet. Roppongi if you want to party all night, Akihabara if you like electronics, and Shibuya is just plain awesome. I spent most of my free time exploring Shibuya.

Tons of sights to see everywhere. I lived there for 3 1/2 years and found something new to do every weekend.

I wish I could help you on the other stuff, but I moved away in 2011, so things have changed.

For the days that I'm alone, would you recommend looking for a hostel around Shibuya/Shinjuku? Basically looking for an area where nightly lodging rates are reasonably priced and where a lot of cool places are accessible.

Thank you guys for the help :)

For the days that I'm alone, would you recommend looking for a hostel around Shibuya/Shinjuku? Basically looking for an area where nightly lodging rates are reasonably priced and where a lot of cool places are accessible.

Definitely get a hostel in Shibuya. You will not regret it. Reasonably priced is kind of subjective. Japan is an expensive place to live, but if worse comes to worse, you can get a 'love hotel' for like $90 a night. Lol.

Get one near a subway station. Shinjuku is not a bad area yeah. Toyoko Inns are always a safe bet.

Definitely get a hostel in Shibuya. You will not regret it. Reasonably priced is kind of subjective. Japan is an expensive place to live, but if worse comes to worse, you can get a 'love hotel' for like $90 a night. Lol.

You actually need a girl with you to do that. Two men or single men or a no go.

Besides, you can get decent business hotels with actual house keeping for 60 bucks a day.

You actually need a girl with you to do that. Two men or single men or a no go.

Besides, you can get decent business hotels with actual house keeping for 60 bucks a day.

I was thinking of getting in a hostel setup, where you just pay for your bed in a shared room, 'cos from my experience in Europe and other countries, it's usually the cheaper option and a good way to meet other travellers.

After a quick search, I found a few that cost +-$30 a night for a bed, around the Shinjuku area (Ace Inn, etc.). Do you guys have a specific one to recommend? Otherwise I'll just base it off of online reviews.

Anyone here train around the area? :)

If you plan on staying in Shinjuku than you may want to visit Tri Force BJJ Shinjuku.

Thank you all for the advice! Leaving in a day and a half. Booked a hostel in Shinjuku for 2 nights and will see if I want to move around as well. Looking to train in either TriForce Shinjuku or MAX BJJ (since one of my coaches knows Mr. Max).

Exciting days ahead!

Back