Broken Tibia Fibula, need experienced advice please

BioniC JacK

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this site. So if I've posted to the wrong area forgive me. :)
The story goes, about 4 weeks ago I broke my Tibia and Fibula in much the same fashion as Corey Hill ( left on the ground with an angle in my leg that shouldn't have been there.) The Docs put a Rod, Nail, whatever other names there may be for it in my shin. The question is, has anyone else here had this? If so did you manage a comeback to fighting or even training? & if so did you get the Rod removed.
I'm still about 8 weeks off full healing and want to know what I will/won't be able to do.....my training is MMA/KICKBOXING.

Any advice on this will be much appreciated....

don't rush a comeback. And opt out of permanent metal implanted in your leg, go for whatever other surgery / recover options there are. If you heal right and are dedicated to coming back you'll come back.

I have had this injury but a little worse. I had a compund fracture of my tib/fib and shattered my ankle, I also broke my other ankle at the same time and spent 9 months in a wheelchair. About a year and a half after my injury I started BJJ, that was 4 years ago

Walk it off

lol

This is what I'm talking about. Why doesn't this guy stay in contact with his Doctor & Instructor. I assume they will have the best advice with these kind of things.

@BioniC JacK
Man, you've already had surgery, just keep doing what your Doctor tells you to do & what your instructor tells you to do. I'm not trying to sound like a dick by any means but that is a pretty serious injury & why not listen to a man that went to college for years to handle those situations rather than asking us randoms on sherdog? And keep in communication with your instructor, he may have some advice.

since it's such a large bone/s to fracture and because it's far away from your heart and doesn't get great circulation it's going to take quite a while to heal. my one professor had the same injury this past november while running in a marathon. he didn't starting jogging and running again until july. also, i'm pretty sure he still has the rod down the center of his tibia.

Back