Broken or sprained ankle

OPM

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So New Years was awesome.

I woke up with a fucked up ankle though.

I can walk on it, it's extremely black and purple. Some people think its fractured.

I think it's fine cause I can walk on it without too much pain. I have a limp.

I've always heard a sprain is much worse then a break or facture.

Should I see a doc?

My boss gave the day off to recuperate, I fought him and we had a argument.

P.S.

Im a pussy apparently.

Just wanted to hear some peoples stories with a broke or sprained ankle.

Sucks in the morning but once I'm on it for awhile I'm somewhat ok.

I broke my ankle. It was 100x worse than a sprain. It required major surgery and 4mo in a cast. If you can walk I doubt its broken. A sprain will swell and pain may last up to 4 weeks.

Get a doctors not even if its a sprain, you'll get an air-cast and time off work. Probably a week or two.

You should've bought a cast-boot today since you got off from work. It would've got you through the weekend you drunk fuck.

Cast+Boot.jpg

50 bucks

I had a severely sprained ankle from playing soccer. I managed to roll my ankle on the follow through of a power shot, so my full shot power and weight came down on my ankle. Hurt like hell. Doctor said I was lucky I didn't break anything.

Get a doctor to check it out. It could still be a small fracture. Even if it isn't, you need to see a doctor to make sure you didn't do any major damage.

was in mexico in july of 07 for a bachelor party. Got jumped by 3 dudes cause i said whats up to one of their girls. Broke my ankle and popped it out of joint during the scrum. Thought it was just a sprain so limped around on it for almost a year before getting the 55k$ surgery done. And to answer your question, sprains are not always more painful then breaks. I have had numerous sprains and one break and the break hurt way fucking more then any of the sprains.

Ok. I think I've established my credentials on here as someone who has broken most everything from a life of skateboarding/snowboarding/soccer/martial etc

1)Soft Tissue injuries are a much worse recovery than broken bones. Trust me. If you tore a ligament or tendon -it will be a much longer and painful recovery. broken bones are easy in comparison

2)If it swelled up immediately and is black and blue -It could likley be broken -feel around for a specific point of pain -if there is not a localized point of pan -then it likely is not broken.

3) ice it religiously either way.

I would suggest a trip to the Doc because a soft tissue joint injury might be a life long problem if left untreated/

Ok. I think I've established my credentials on here as someone who has broken most everything from a life of skateboarding/snowboarding/soccer/martial etc

1)Soft Tissue injuries are a much worse recovery than broken bones. Trust me. If you tore a ligament or tendon -it will be a much longer and painful recovery.

Huh, that explains why recovering from popped ankle tendons in judo sucked so much.

I fell from a ledge when trying to get my friends tennis ball, I fractured my ankle.

Huh, that explains why recovering from popped ankle tendons in judo sucked so much.

yep. it's counter to most intuition, but breaking a bone is almost lucky if no ligament, tendon, and muscle damage comes with it -because broken bones can heal completely without any future problems (except maybe rainy day stiffness)

soft tissue damage is the an uncertain future... so difficult to gauge

1)Soft Tissue injuries are a much worse recovery than broken bones. Trust me. If you tore a ligament or tendon -it will be a much longer and painful recovery. broken bones are easy in comparison

2)If it swelled up immediately and is black and blue -It could likley be broken -feel around for a specific point of pain -if there is not a localized point of pan -then it likely is not broken.

3) ice it religiously either way.

I would suggest a trip to the Doc because a soft tissue joint injury might be a life long problem if left untreated/

There is much wisdom in this post. I have seriously injured my knee, shoulder, collar bone and hand, and one thing is the same with all of them. You HAVE to go to the doctor. The last thing you want is for something to heal wrong and end up plaguing you the rest of your life. A problem with your foot/ankle could lead to a problem in your knee which could lead to a problem with your hip, which would most likely lead to back problems.....etc you see where I'm going with this.

yep. it's counter to most intuition, but breaking a bone is almost lucky if no ligament, tendon, and muscle damage comes with it -because broken bones can heal completely without any future problems (except maybe rainy day stiffness)

soft tissue damage is the an uncertain future... so difficult to gauge

I broke my talus, ankle joint, and it required two permanant screws to be inserted in order to heal. It hurts with every step and I'm still in my 20's and have a slight build. Range of motion is awful and my lower leg never fully recovered from atrophy. My ACL repair was nothing in comparison. Though results do vary from person to person.

Ive broken my ankle. Was really drunk and etc and broke it. Somehow I slept with a broken ankle. I woke up the next day, still with a broken ankle (surprisingly) and went to the doctor.

Go to the doctor. They will give you drugs.

So you've been asleep for 4 days?

I take xrays for a living.

I've seen people with ankles that are very swollen and bruised
not have a fracture.

I've seen ankles that really dont look that bad have fractures.

The point is you wont know until you have it x-rays taken. Even if
no fracture is found you will see a doctor that will tell what you need to
do next, whether it be to just rest it, or follow up with an orthpedic doctor.

Either way get some xrays , ask for a disc with them on it and post that shit on
Sherdog, along with pictures of your girlfriend.

I take xrays for a living.

I've seen people with ankles that are very swollen and bruised
not have a fracture.

I've seen ankles that really dont look that bad have fractures.

The point is you wont know until you have it x-rays taken. Even if
no fracture is found you will see a doctor that will tell what you need to
do next, whether it be to just rest it, or follow up with an orthpedic doctor.

Either way get some xrays , ask for a disc with them on it and post that shit on
Sherdog, along with pictures of your girlfriend.

Lmao at the last part.

If it hurts to walk on you should be on crutches. I've 3rd degree sprained both ankles at different points. Running from the cops and skateboarding. From what I've been told once the swelling is down you need to slowly stretch the ankle (if it's sprained) in circles every so often to keep it from healing with a diminished range of motion. Once it's on it's way to getting better you should be doing things like drawing out each letter of the alphabet in the air with you toes to keep the ankle strong and pliable.

Actually had the cops cut my hi-top sneaker cut off when I sprained my right one bc the top of my foot swelled so much and they couldn't get it off to search me or something ghey. It looked like someone stuffed a half a sub under the skin around my ankle, i was legit worried if it could swell anymore without bursting a vein or something. I don't have insurance so couldn't swing x rays just a few days off work.

Each one took about 2 months before I would jog on it again. Around 4 months and I was back at sports. Both ankles pop and crackle when I move them about, and they're at least 2x as susceptible to getting jacked again.

Hardest part is when I go skating I'll spot a decent ledge or stair set and just shake my head and roll by bc I know if I land wrong from the slightest of heights I'm blowing tendons. Still trying to get back to being able to do pistol squats.

Back