Broken Nose! Important questions!!!!

tommboy

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys I broke my nose a long long time ago (prob 6 years ago when I was little kid) got deviated septum surgery cause I couldn't breath out of one nostril and they did a crap ass job and it is just as bad. Now I've gotten into Martial arts and we are full contact sparring with helmet gloves pads etc. etc. and I'm REALLY worried about 2 things. One being my nose is rather large and i really don't want to break it/ make it look worse cause im a deascent looking kid and rather not change that. I mean I got bumped on the nose today and it scared the crap outta me. The other is I can't breath outta my nose espcially since I got allergies year round (well I can just not heavy) Is there a mouth guard or something I can buy/do so that I can easily breath outta my mouth without getting hurt. Thank you guys

tommboy said:
Hey guys I broke my nose a long long time ago (prob 6 years ago when I was little kid) got deviated septum surgery cause I couldn't breath out of one nostril and they did a crap ass job and it is just as bad. Now I've gotten into Martial arts and we are full contact sparring with helmet gloves pads etc. etc. and I'm REALLY worried about 2 things. One being my nose is rather large and i really don't want to break it/ make it look worse cause im a deascent looking kid and rather not change that. I mean I got bumped on the nose today and it scared the crap outta me. The other is I can't breath outta my nose espcially since I got allergies year round (well I can just not heavy) Is there a mouth guard or something I can buy/do so that I can easily breath outta my mouth without getting hurt. Thank you guys

No worries man. I am in a similiar situation. Try these guys http://www.opro.com/. The mouth piece fits excellent and snug (just like the pros have) so you can breath through your mouth if necessary(not advised at all times though). Also, your nose should be fully healed(as is mine), but you should realize accidents can a do happen in boxing etc.

If I think I rebroke it should I just go to the emergency room immediatly? Just want to be prepared

If your really worried about your looks then just dont fight................I dont mean to be an ass but shit happends and your bound to get hit in your nose and what not.

well yea I know shit happens, but I just want to be prepared. You don't care at all how you look?

tommboy said:
well yea I know shit happens, but I just want to be prepared. You don't care at all how you look?

I think Lebanner looks pretty bad ass with his crooked nose.

tommboy said:
If I think I rebroke it should I just go to the emergency room immediatly? Just want to be prepared

You should do that, regardless if you are worried about your looks or not, because you want a doctor to check you for anything else that could be wrong(a bad hematoma etc.)

Towsonwrestling said:
If your really worried about your looks then just dont fight................I dont mean to be an ass but shit happends and your bound to get hit in your nose and what not.

what he said

brainpad mouthguards. You could breathe out your mouth the whole time and have your jaw clenched. Get one.

I can't breathe out my nose as its been broken 4 times now and I expect it to happen again and again. I too have a deviated septum and have just learnt to live with it until I stop fighting at which time I will get an op to sort it. Goes with the terrority I am afraid!
I can't breathe thru my nose most days anyhow so just get a good fitting mouthguard and you'll be fine. One that fits great (custom made) and doesn't obstruct you're breathing.

I can't breathe through one side of my nose anymore after getting it repeatedly smashed in boxing -- oddly enough, I can now breathe better through the other side (cartilage inside is smashed over to one side ....)

Basically, here's the story: If you get your nose fixed, it will always be more fragile afterwards. It just gets weaker and weaker. Basically once you get a full op to fix the nose, you have to stop fighting.

I looked into getting mine fixed, but I was told that I'd have to give up any combat sports forever, including BJJ, after I got surgery. So I'm just gonna wait.

Oh, re mouthpieces, the brainpad ones are the best, they have a big hole you can breathe through. You can be spraying blood all over and still breathe fine ;D

wow!! are you serious no contact sports ever again??? wtf!!! They only told me I couldnt play hockey for a couple months..... And no lifting for a month

tommboy said:
wow!! are you serious no contact sports ever again??? wtf!!! They only told me I couldnt play hockey for a couple months..... And no lifting for a month

I said combat sports, not contact sports. Striking is definitely out, but wrestling was strongly advised against as well. Basketball soccer etc. is all good.

Same deal here as most ppl are posting. Can breath through my left nostril b/c nose busted.

I am Greek and have a Larger nose then most.

Not worth getting an op due to fact i will break it again (have borken it afew times scince i was 14 and now am 26) so it will be a waste of time and money.

I use a Shock Doctor Mouth Gaurd and its ok for breathing but not the best.

Towsonwrestling said:

Actualy i disagree. If your decent looking its all the more reason to learn to fight so u dont get that face messed up even worse on the street hehe :)

I was born witha deviated septum which makes it damn tough to breathe through my nose. Like trying to breathe through a coffee straw. Anyway I have however never gotten a bloody nose which is quite a feat when considering I have been involved in contact martial arts for 8 years. I guess I gotta trade one fo rthe other. I have thought about getting it fixed but I know someday it will be busted again and i dont wanna waste my money. PS if you dont want to get a broken nose you gotta only do light sparring and no more.

Back