Broken Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsujayhawk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I have a question. I broke my hand training last night and I'm not sure what to do. I decided not to get a cast because I think ice and heat and taking it easy will allow me to maintain some semblance of my training routine. But what kinds of things should I do? I broke the fourth and fifth meta carpal.

Did you go to the ER? If not you should. Don't try to "tough" it out. Let it heal and then train. There's only one person here qualified to answer your question and he's on another continent. Go to the doctor.

I went to the emergency room to get it x-rayed after it happened. They were pretty adamant about putting it in a cast but that would mean 4-6 weeks. It feels a lot better today. My hand is really week and I have trouble moving my ring finger. I also can't make a tight fist.

It was really weird. It swelled up immediately and turned blue. But about an hour later the coloring was almost all gone and the swelling had gone down considerably. At the time it happened, I got really light headed. Have you ever heard of that?

I'm not a doctor.

I think you should have listened to the doctors and had a cast put on it. I don't imagine that anybody here is going to say that you're doing the right/smart thing by being tough...

Please listen to the doctor.

Last time I broke my hand I never got it looked at and couldnt make a tight fist for about 10 -11 months. Its gonna heal all fucked up and end up looking like you have a golf ball imbedded in the top of your hand. Not cool at all, do what the doctor tells you

jiujitsujayhawk said:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I have a question. I broke my hand training last night and I'm not sure what to do. I decided not to get a cast because I think ice and heat and taking it easy will allow me to maintain some semblance of my training routine. But what kinds of things should I do? I broke the fourth and fifth meta carpal.

a hand that heals improperly is usually easier to break again.

Broken Fist said:
Last time I broke my hand I never got it looked at and couldnt make a tight fist for about 10 -11 months. Its gonna heal all fucked up and end up looking like you have a golf ball imbedded in the top of your hand. Not cool at all, do what the doctor tells you

Agree, get it put in a cast. You can be down for 4-6 weeks or be in pain for months/years.

I trained through a fracture, and it's alright, didn't miss a day, but there's a difference between fracturing your hand (the bone along the knife edge of your hand) and breaking it in two places... put it in a cast.

Sorry dude, but I hope you are joking.

Get that shit in a cast ASAP. You can't train with a broken hand, you'll fuck yourself up for good.

You have two simples choices:
a. Have cast made for your hands and let it heal, then rehab. Total time of hand using activities: about two months. Make it a plastic cast and you can still run, bike and kick.
b. Gut it out and gain the nickname: stupid-clubhanded-badass-with-a-slight-handicap-for-the-rest-of-his-life. not to mention, a total time away from any hand using activity upwards of half a year.

It's your life.....cough*cripple*cough

Get the cast!! It is going to suck for a while but you have to think about your future.

i broke my hand a few years back playing football. 3rd metacarpal.

dont mess around get the cast, it'll probably be on 6-7 weeks. dont use you hand for 2-3 weeks but do everything else where you can. its gotta heal properly or you'll risk re-injury.

your forearm and hand will feel like jello for a day or two after its off but it will come back. not much you can do but improve your cardio and leg strength in the meantime.

get a cast, read the one dumbell workout article by dan john, and learn to drag a sled in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back