Broken foot.

Rowing is also low impact as opposed to running.

Yeah, Jogging - I don't move fast enough to call it Running:redface: - is out for the next month or so.

I hate Cardio machines, but any port in a storm...

Squatted today. Slight pain in my foot, but nothing major. Really don't want to have to give up Squats and Deadlifts unless absolutely necessary; last thing I want to be is a Bench and Curl Monkey! :icon_sad:

Having a desire to deadlift and squat, but not doing so because of injury does not make you a "bench and curl monkey." It makes you an injured powerlifter. There are still a lot of compound exercises that you can do that won't carry risk of damaging your foot further, although I understand what you're trying to say about pressure and impact. As most others said already, just try not to put too much stress on your foot. A short break from squats and deads probably won't hurt your strength too much, but an aggravated foot injury that even further restricts your exercise options most certainly will.

Yeah, but there's no impact on the foot. Stress, yes, but the foot is stationary throughout the lift.

Agreed. I just had two screws inserted into my medial malleolus (knobby ankle bone on the inside of the leg) 12 weeks ago. When I first started training again, I could barely run at all...and that was heal to toe. I've always been a toe-striker when i run, and that hurt like hell. But i was suprised at how comfortable i felt squatting---save for the obvious strength loss due to inactivity, i felt fine. anyhow, good luck w/ the recovery!

Having a desire to deadlift and squat, but not doing so because of injury does not make you a "bench and curl monkey." It makes you an injured powerlifter. There are still a lot of compound exercises that you can do that won't carry risk of damaging your foot further, although I understand what you're trying to say about pressure and impact. As most others said already, just try not to put too much stress on your foot. A short break from squats and deads probably won't hurt your strength too much, but an aggravated foot injury that even further restricts your exercise options most certainly will.

Thanks for that, man. Cheered me up.:D

Agreed. I just had two screws inserted into my medial malleolus (knobby ankle bone on the inside of the leg) 12 weeks ago. When I first started training again, I could barely run at all...and that was heal to toe. I've always been a toe-striker when i run, and that hurt like hell. But i was suprised at how comfortable i felt squatting---save for the obvious strength loss due to inactivity, i felt fine. anyhow, good luck w/ the recovery!

Thank you!:icon_chee

I just wish the US Military would hurry up and perfect Wolverine DNA so I could buy myself a Healing Factor on the Black Market...:icon_twis

It was confirmed today: Stress Fracture of the Third Metatarsal. Doc has told me that Squats and DL's are out for the next two months.

Sucks to be me.:icon_cry2

I'll just have to do some upper body work(can't even Bench heavy because using leg drive will put stress on the foot)lots of leg extensions and leg curls.

you can bench, just don't get an arch, try putting your feet on the bench. You'll be fine. Take out leg extensions forever, do your pistols and GHRs. Screw leg curls.

I've been toying with the idea of switching to Dumbbell Bench Press for the next 6 - 8 weeks; after I'm healed, it's straight onto SS. I figure using DB's for a couple of months will give me a real hunger to Bench with a Barbell again when I run Starting Strength in January.

It was confirmed today: Stress Fracture of the Third Metatarsal. Doc has told me that Squats and DL's are out for the next two months.

Sucks to be me.:icon_cry2

I'll just have to do some upper body work(can't even Bench heavy because using leg drive will put stress on the foot)lots of leg extensions and leg curls.

Stress fractures can be a pain in the arse if not let to heal properly. Try to be patient about them.

Can you do GHRs? Get huge lats and traps - seated shrugs, pullups, pulldowns, rows, back extensions, Roman Chair work. Become a monster seated OH press guy.

2 months in the long term known as life is nothing. Don't worry about it. I've had broken ankles/feet and it sucks, but you'll be fine.

Thanks for the encouragement, mate.:icon_chee

Stress fractures can be a pain in the arse if not let to heal properly. Try to be patient about them.

Words to live by. The Doc has changed his prognosis, slightly; 4 - 6 weeks recovery instead of 6 - 8. But I'm going to give it to the New Year just to be on the safe side.

My Gym closes down in the third week of December anyway, and does'nt re-open until the end of the first week of January.

OK, so I'm injured - that does'nt mean I have to be a total pussy.

I'm going to run the upper body section of Starting Strength until my foot heals and I can start Squatting and Deadlifting again.

Workout A: Bench Press 3X5
Pull Ups 3

OK, so I'm injured - that does'nt mean I have to be a total pussy.

I'm going to run the upper body section of Starting Strength until my foot heals and I can start Squatting and Deadlifting again.

Workout A: Bench Press 3X5
Pull Ups 3 X Max
Leg Extension 5 X 10
Leg Curl 5 X 10

Workout B: Overhead Press 3X5
Bent Over Rows 3X5
Pull-Ups 3 X Max
Leg Extensions 5 X 10
Leg Curl 5 X 10

My only real concern is that my Bench and SOHP will have a 6 week head start on my Squat and Deadlift, so they will stall much sooner. Can't be helped.

If I was you I'd get bored with such a short workout and throw in a bunch of assistance work.

Not saying it's the best option but I would.

Or, maybe finally get caught up with grip training.

I see your point, but one of the common traits shared by the best strength training programs - SS, 5/3/1 etc - is the short and "sweet" workouts. Go to the Gym, hit the major lifts, go home.

Yes, there are some assistance lifts in 5/3/1, but Wendler advises no more than two for every major lift.

I suppose another option would be to run a version of 5/3/1.

Sunday: Bench Press 5/3/1 + Assistance Exercises.

Wednesday: Military Press + Assistance Exercises.

Friday: Bent Over Rows + Assistance Exercises.

I would be interested in other SD's opinion; since I obviously can't do a full SS or 5/3/1 Program, which would be the better "Diet Coke" version?

kick your feet up and get on the whoppers, give you something to burn off when you're healed lol

Back