1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Broken foot.

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by KnightTemplar, Oct 20, 2010.

1. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Ebony Belt Platinum Member

Just back from the X Ray Department; I've got a broken metarsal(sp?). Bottom line; no Sparring, no Jogging, no impact at all on my left foot.:mad:

I figure Squats, Deads etc will still be OK, since there is no real impact on the foot. And I can work my Hands, Knees and Elbows at Thai, as well as Round Kicks with my right leg. I can also still train Kali.

My question is regarding Cardio. Swimming is out, since I could only use the pool once a week due to opening hours.:icon_sad: So it boils down to Stationary Bike or one of those Cross Trainer-type machines. Which would be better?

2. BigSmile

BigSmile Guest

Doing squats with a broken food? or dead lifts? doesn't sound smart man, you use your food with both to engage the excersise?

3. KnightTemplar

Yeah, but there's no impact on the foot. Stress, yes, but the foot is stationary throughout the lift.

4. BigSmile

BigSmile Guest

with the bike you mostly use your legs, with the crosstrainer you use your whole body, so if thats your concern i would say the crosstrainer is better

I am not sure what's better for your foot. I have been a pretty fanatic mountainbiker, and i can tell you if you go hard on the bike it can be that your foot gets loose from the pedal.. that might hurt your food amazingly hard.. if it happens

I hope you heal quick man, good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2010
  5. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

Do you have access to a C2 rower? They are the tits. If not, there's not much difference between the bike and cross-trainer so just go with your personal preference.

Have you tried squatting and deadlifting yet? Did your doctor give you any advice about this?

6. KnightTemplar

We've got Rowers; never tried them so I don't know what type they are.

Squatted today. Slight pain in my foot, but nothing major. Really don't want to have to give up Squats and Deadlifts unless absolutely necessary; last thing I want to be is a Bench and Curl Monkey! :icon_sad:

My Doc did'nt give me any advice on Squats and DL's, but he's a GP, not a Sports Doctor. It probably would'nt occur to him.

7. KnightTemplar

Thanks, man. Days like this, I wish I was Wolverine!(or even Sabertooth...:icon_twis)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  8. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

Give the rowers a try, hopefully they are C2's. They are way better than bikes, cross-trainers or treadmills IMHO. It's full-body and you get a full range of motion.

If I were you I'd rest the foot for a while longer. A week or two off won't cause a big hit to your strength but it could make a big difference to how long it takes for your foot to heal.

9. BigSmile

BigSmile Guest

Most people have trouble rowing for a longer period of time, but that might not be a problem for somebody that does combat sports

why do you prefer rowing above running?
    and why is it important that its an C2? Wouldn't you row if it wasn't an C2?

10. KnightTemplar

I might suspend Squats and Deadlifts until next week, when I can talk to the Doc and get his opinion. If he's not sure, there's a Sports Doc at my Gym; expensive but he knows his stuff.

11. yocan

yocan Orange Belt

If anyonen says they don't, they are lying.

swimmingn properly on a broken metatarcel is actually very bad. That cost me going to NCAAs my senior year, assuming swimming was fine. it wasn't

get plastic bodied rollerblades and if you don't snap it doesn't involve your toes its just a shove shove shove all day long (annoying to not move fast) but it worked for me.I would say no to squats and deadlifts.

I'd also wear boots all the time right now after you get out of that moon boot (walkingn cast) stiff bottom encourages you not to bend your foot.

You do not want to go from 3 breaks to 15% of the bone is still intact like I did at OCS quantico. I did the 20k with 3 breaks...... it got a lot worse. 3 weeks to +6 months.

12. BigSmile

BigSmile Guest

I think this is smart. If you do something that is really bad for your foot your recovery might take longer, its only a week, you won't lose all your strength that quickly

13. KnightTemplar

Ouch! And I thought I had problems!:eek:

I'm seriously considering towards dropping Squats and Deadlifts, 'though I'll fucking hate to do it. After I heal, I can always run SS again to build my strength back up.

14. KnightTemplar

Doc reckon 2 -3 weeks but yeah, better that than more damage and even longer recovery time.:mad:

15. yocan

yocan Orange Belt

seriously for a month or two after that, wear boots, it helps. especially when lifting. and for squats don't go up on your toes obviously for a while.

16. KnightTemplar

Thanks for the tip. I've got a good pair of Lowa Magnum boots. Wear them a lot during the winter, when we get regular heavy snowfall.

17. PWR1982

PWR1982 Green Belt

Is your foot fine,stable if you keep the weight on heels, no pain? Then you can do some squats and deadlifts, but be careful I guess.

18. Searcher

Searcher Yellow Belt

Dude, you have a broken foot. Let it heal right. At least stay off of it for 2-4 weeks. Do upperbody stuff 2x a week or something; I guess some combat training is fine if you're careful.

You do want it to heal right?

19. KnightTemplar

Absolutely, mate. This has to be my #1 Priority.

20. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

I prefer rowing to running because rowing is full body and goes through a full range of motion. I find it easier to get a good full-body warm-up on a rower. I also like that on a rower you set the pace while on a treadmill you have to adjust your pace to the speed of the treadmill. Treadmills have always felt unnatural to me.

C2's are generally considered the best rowing machines and they best approximate real rowing (though that doesn't matter to me as I don't row outside the gym). I've used other rowers, some were good, some not so good, but I've never used a bad C2. That said, if I didn't have access to a C2 I'd use another rower.