Broken, dislocated toe in BJJ class tonight

Hannah's Dad

White Belt
Reaction score
So I finally got off my butt and joined a local MMA gym about a month ago. Working on BJJ mostly to be my base. Today I caught my right pinkie toe on the side of the mat. Hurt like a be-atch. Then I looked down. I am not exaggarating when I say that sucker was pointing 90 degrees to the right. Looked like this: ||ii_ :icon_lol: Set it (heard it snap when I did), taped it up and was able to roll, albeit carefully. Went to Urgent Care to get xrays after class. Dislocated and broken. Clean diagonal break right at the joint closest to the foot. Doc said I set it perfectly, lol, I just couldn't stand looking at that thing pointing sideways anymore. I pulled forward when I set it, remembered that from my broken finger years ago. Said just buddy tape and wear open toed shoes for awhile.

So my question is: This can't be a terribly uncommon injury for bjj, how long till you guys with similar injuries were back at class? Doc says 4 to 6 weeks to heal, but surely you can train a little sooner? I was able to roll right after, but it does hurt more now.

What about wrestling shoes?

keep them taped and youll be ok .. forgot to post this in the last post lol

I have lost count of the amount of times I broke my pinky toes. Just tape them and forget them. Basically, once the pain is bearable have at 'er but make sure you tape them good.

Two weeks ago my instructor dislocated his middle toe. It was point straight up in the air. It looked disgusting. Because it was late at night, he had to go to Emerg. Two doctors tried to put it back in and failed. They called an Orthopedic surgeon because they figured he may have to have surgery. The surgeon was able to set it with out surgery which is good because if he had to have toe surgery he would have been made fun of mercilessly.

i wear wrestling shoes, but im worried about my hand.. today i almost broke it when someone was practicing sweeps on me, couldnt move it from the position i was in so they would land on it.

wearing a wrestling shoe is your best bet. to me, a toe shouldnt keep you from training. just keeping training on it until you hurt something more important, then when you're forced to sit out for a few weeks the toe will fully heal.

Toes and fingers suck. I wear wrestling shoes as much as I can, but many places don't permit on the tatami. Go figure.

welcome to the club, now you just need a cauliflower ear.

I've roleed back on my big toe before, grappling barefooted. I could barely put pressure on that side for a week, until as mentioned in other posts, I procured some shoes, wrestling shoes, to train in. I do not use them all of the time, but I have them in case a situation arises like before and I might need them.

try two cauliflower ears , a couple jammed/dislocated/broken fingers, and mat burn that after it heals leaves you with what looks to be a birthmark on your feet.

LOL! That was the first thing my wife said when I told her I'd signed up, "MMA?! Like in the UFC? But I like your ears and nose like they are!" Heh, I told her thanks for the vote of confidence. :) She's still freaked out about Rick Franklin's nose.

I bought some wrestling shoes today. I think I could roll ok in these. It'll be about 2 weeks before I can go back anyway, since the gym is shutting down to move locations. So what's the protocol for grappling in wrestling shoes? Pretty much the same as without? I looked for shoes with minimal sole and no rubber on the side, thinking that would suck to drag across someone's face when trying a submission. Are there certain things you just don't do if you're wearing shoes?

61214.jpg

I broke my little toe during warm ups a couple of years ago. I took 2-3 weeks off and taped it when I was back.

try two cauliflower ears , a couple jammed/dislocated/broken fingers, and mat burn that after it heals leaves you with what looks to be a birthmark on your feet.

I've got those on my ankle bones, I think mine protrude more than most people because sometimes I'll catch the outer part of my foot and feels like a belt sander on my ankle.

Back