Brock's striking.

He isnt made to be a good striker. He should train wrestling only and be the hw jake shields.

He isnt made to be a good striker. He should train wrestling only and be the hw jake shields.

Don't be surprised if Brock becomes a madman in regards to his Boxing. He's a perfectionist and will likely do everything it takes to improve his striking skills.

Whether or not it works...we'll see. But I seriously expect a different Lesnar in his next fight.

brock needs to actual spar standup not just wrestle with his sparring partners

This is my analysis, too. He runs like a little girl every time he gets hit, usually the sign of not enough sparring.

He does seem to be getting better with each fight, but not being comfortable with getting hit is going to hold him back a lot until he fixes it.

Brock's striking us non existint. I saw it in his fight with Couture that he tends to shy away from punches. If Couture forced Brock against the cage and dirty boxed him Brock would have been a foot note in modern MMA. Brock needs to work the basics in his striking, those flying knees? Why? He dropped his hands way to much in the fight against Cain, he should have the old adage of 'hands up, chin down' drilled into his head. He also needs some descent footwork, he has a bulls-eye on his fore head while he works to set up the shoot.

Lesnar needs a real striking coach and not Erik Paulson holding the pads and giving him feedback.
Yep. He needs a boxing coach.

brock needs to actual spar standup not just wrestle with his sparring partners

exactly the prob isn't landing punches its a)avoiding them (slipping. etc) b) countering them and c) taking them.

he hasn't learned to effectively do those things against a guy he can't control, or takedown; his offense is functional, but his def is terrible he has no idea what to do. That is a sure sign of a lack of STANDUP sparring; but as we all know, most mma guys don't like to spar standup straight up.

i thought brock would really focus on that; but he hasn't and he paid for that, his wrestling is fine...gnp fine...but def and counter striking is terrible. As is his ability to act appropriately under fire.

Has Brock ever even sparred once? From his training camp footage it looks like he only does pad work.

Brock has no standup defense period. He doen't check kicks, he doesnt slip, he doesn't block, or counter. He is a walking punching bag, and when you swarm him, he turtles up, Similar to Tito. That's why his fight with Carwin didn't impress me. Sure he showed heart, but he never should've been in that situation to begin with.

He tagged Randy ONLY because Randy is not an aggressive striker. You can't sit back and bob and weave. You've gotta press the action. Swarm him.

your right, randy is a stick and move judicious w/his offense type guy; he doesn't really open up on the feet unless he has to. Not just that but randy don't really crack that hard; he landed some big shots on lesnar, but they were one at a time and randy lacks the power to get away w/that. To really hurt lesnar, you got land bombs (carwin/schaub) or you gotta swarm (dos santos/velasquez).

i still think brock could land in an exchange; but not if you don't know how to a)take a punch or b)avoid one.

this is just as bad as standup guys who only work on getting back up or tying up or defending takedowns; work on your grappling overall...not just elements of it.

brock needs tech dev; but more than that he need to get used to getting hit, he need to spar alot. Even if it isn't tech sharp; the comfort he will get and the knowledge of how to act appropriately when hit will dev.

I like to see Brock use peek a boo style

Actually I'd rather that he didn't.

Peek a Boo is more for a person like Cain (shorter, faster, swarmer).
Brock is bigger, taller, and has a 81inch reach. He needs to develop a stiff jab and learn to pick his opponent's apart from a distance. After wearing them down a bit, he needs to go into wrestling mode and GnP them to victory.

It's been said repeatedly. He needs more experience getting hit and defending himself from shots. There are no shortcuts there.

Brock best option is to turn into a XXL version of GSP..

A few jabs to takedown.. and thats all the striking he should ever do if he want to become a good mma-fighter. striking is not for him.

Brock best option is to turn into a XXL version of GSP..

A few jabs to takedown.. and thats all the striking he should ever do if he want to become a good mma-fighter. striking is not for him.

I don't quite agree. The reason being is that he will get hit, and if he gets hit and starts tucking tail like he has done, then it just turns into a more drawn out type of affair similar to what happened with Velasquez or Carwin.

Brock needs to train in some dedicated stand up. Not "MMA striking," where he can go for a Takedown once things get difficult. He needs someone to make him box. He needs to get used to being on the receiving end and learn how to work through it. Otherwise, he's never going to get rid of any of the bad "newbie striker" habits that he's exhibited. He's only going to get that by dedicating a lot of time to strict training in a dedicated striking environment. Not only that, but he needs to be taken through his paces from the very basics on up.

I already know that he's physically talented enough to find some success with that, and he's also a young enough fighter to be able to learn enough to actually make a huge difference in his future fights. He just needs to pack his bags, camp out at a reputable striking gym and get to it like a hungry newbie. Not as the champ who can call the shots, but just like a newbie fighter who is willing to get his shit checked.

"He needs someone to make him box".
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Get him into a boxing gym where he has no choice but
to box his way out of trouble.

Ironicly enough I think one of the best camps for Brock to go to would be AKA, they seem to do well transitioning the Wrestlers to at least moderatly tech strikers.

He needs to get on the pone to Juanita Ibarra.

Ironicly enough I think one of the best camps for Brock to go to would be AKA, they seem to do well transitioning the Wrestlers to at least moderatly tech strikers.

I could also see him doing well at the Wolfslair with Rampage.

Yes, call me crazy but they have a great boxing regimen and Quinton could actually teach Brock a thing or two on how to take hits.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a place with other champion MMA fighters. He simply has to dedicate some time to working on his striking all on its own. If all he does is "MMA striking" he can simply shoot a double when he feels he's getting in trouble.

Fuck that... Put him in a place where he has no choice but to work through getting hit, and he'll start getting rid of those bad habits real quick. Even if it's on an amateur level. He has to start working on his striking from the ground up.

Brock is certainly not alone in being a horrible striker as an MMA fighter. Most MMA fighters suck a huge one in pure stand-up. I have a friend who kept getting annihilated on his feet and then locked himself in a MT/Boxing gym for like 6 mos and then came out killing people. Brock can do the same.

I'd like to see him Semmy mode. Work people over with his jab and and then punish them in the clinch in close...

Am I the only one who thought Brock looked a hell of a lot better than he did in the past? He stopped using his retarded shoulder roll and was actually using a decent jab to find his range. He didn't look as stiff as he has in the past and was actually moving his, jumping in and out. His striking still sucks, but he looked way better than he did in the past.

Back