1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Brock's striking.

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Lionidas, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

Ok let's have a real discussion about Brock's striking.
    Coming as a Brock fan, I'll be the first to admit that it's severly lacking.

So here's my question to you all....
    How can he improve his striking?

Change camps?
    Hire an additional boxing coach?
    Bring in more strikers to his DC camp?
    Spar more?
    Lose some muscle mass to improve his speed?

What are your thoughts, please discuss.

2. thirteen

thirteen Brown Belt

Less time lifting weights - more time working the basics
    (boxing).

3. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

I think he needs to just focus on striking for the next 6 months, get some real top level strikers to train with. He just doesn't look comfortable on the feet.

Hell, even go off with freddie roach for a while and get some boxing work done.

4. Goonerz

Goonerz White Belt

Brock flying knees looked good though lol

5. Goonerz

Goonerz White Belt

Jokes aside his striking defense looks awful

6. JaJim

JaJim Yellow Belt

Why Freddie Roach?

7. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

I guess any top level trainer could work, but Roach came to mind first because he's had that background with working with MMA fighters before.

8. Jae102

Jae102 Purple Belt

Brock Lesnar needs some boxing coaches, and probably should get some more Muay Thai coaches maybe spend some time in Thailand for a bit. But yeah he should just work on his striking for the next few months.

9. nip102

nip102 Purple Belt

brock needs to actual spar standup not just wrestle with his sparring partners

10. Murmillo

Murmillo White Belt

Brock's striking is piss poor, and it'd be in his best interest not to go head hunting. He should go the Gray Maynard route and work the hell out of his defensive boxing.

11. JaJim

JaJim Yellow Belt

Even a good amature coach would help.

Brock doesn't know how to box, Freddie's job is training champions not coaching beginners.

12. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

yup. it looks like he's not taking punches during camp.... everytime someone touches him in the face, he prances around like a little school girl. its pretty embarrassing.

13. maDKient

maDKient Blue Belt

Sadly I must admit I was like that when first time sparring and for a while after that.

14. surfer dude

surfer dude Blue Belt

That is the real problem; every time he gets on his bike and back pedals, I can almost hear him saying "Not in the face! Not in the face!".

Maybe he needs to learn the MT clinch game, where he can still somewhat make use of his strength?

And I keep reading posts indicating Brock is a bad match up for JDS, but I think it is the exact opposite. Good hands are Brock's kryptonite. Hell, Carwin had him, based on power punching, if he just didn't spaz.

As I write this, I begin to think we may see a bit of hot potato with the HW belt, much like the lthw. Why? Brock hit Cain solid a few times, if that had been Carwin he might have been pulling some Zzzz.

15. ArchAngelos

ArchAngelos Blue Belt

Lesnar needs a real striking coach and not Erik Paulson holding the pads and giving him feedback. No disrespect to Paulson, I'm sure that Paulson has some mit chops but Lesnar can afford to bring in anybody. Why would he choose Paulson over the likes of Freddy Roach, Rob Kaman or Emanuel Steward who is arguably the greatest heavyweight boxing trainer in the history of boxing.

So, him choosing Paulson confuses me.

16. MisterT

MisterT Brown Belt

Brock needs to re-structure the way he runs his camps.

Right now, he pays top level coaches/sparring partners to come out to Minnesota and help him train. Unfortunately, this forces his instructors and sparring partners to be more submissive to him (the dude is paying them after all). Hence, they might refrain from going hard on his ass.

Instead, Lesnar needs to go to a striking instructor so that the relationship dynamics is the other way around. That way, he'll be able to learn more and be more efficient.

On the primetime show, I was surprised to see clips of Lesnar taking down Pat Barry every time Barry tried to strike. Taking down Barry didn't help him overcome his fear of getting punched and that showed last night. And considering that Barry was getting paid a shitload of cash to be there, I don't think he was going to tell Brock off.

In short, Lesnar needs to pack his bags and go to the gym of a reputed striking camp (one with good sparring partners and good coaches) for his next fight.

17. SoProGent628

SoProGent628 White Belt

I just had a guy tell me this on facebook!

"His striking is ridiculous, his gameplan just backfired...he tried to go out and make a statement and knock him out in the first 30 seconds and he got tired and gave up his back and got hit-alot- and it was over from that point.."
    :icon_chee

18. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

Look at the primetime shows.. Then you know what kind of people his coaches and traning partners are.. Looks like hammer house 2.0. You know what kind of type i am talking about.

Yes he did bring in Pat Barry. But i doubt that i was doing some real hard sparring against Brock.

Call me a idiot, but i DONT hope Brock goes to a new (real) camp.. I dont want him anywhere near the belt ever again..

19. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

I was thinking the same thing, Brock would have a killer Thai clinch if he learned it properly. Also, I see JDS out-striking Cain and being the next champ. After that....Carwin will probably make another run at the title and be successfull.

20. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

100% agreed. I think his biggest mistake was secluding himself at his DC gym. Changing camps with hard strikers would definitely help him with his "NOT in the FAce!!" mentality.