Brock vs Jones

tjerny

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
New York Ric mentioned the fight during the last episode of MMA Hour and it had me thinking...

I really think Jones could beat lesnar

Without doing to much MMA math I believe since jones out wrestled cormier and since cormier controled most heavyweights that jones could beat almost every heavyweight besides maybe jds, and cain...

Jones said he would would fight heavyweight if it was the right opponent and the right price. Brock is the right price for sure

Last edited:
I don't really know what to say but his next fight will be one of his most important

I can't remember seeing Cormier use a power double like Lesnar.

Cormier usually seems to just want to get deep on a single, pick you up and throw you down. Lesnar usually just shoots a power double on you and pulls you to the mat, doesn't try to pick you up in the air which IMO is more difficult than your traditional style power double or whatever.

Both Lesnar & Cormier are very different styles of wrestling in terms of their way of taking their opponent down.

Brock usually just tries to time his power double or he'll just overpower you with that insane drive. Cormier usually puts you against the fence and goes in on a single or clasps behind your back and wants to literally throw you like a rag doll. Their styles are very, very different. Personally, I think Lesnar's style of TD's has proven to be more effective in MMA over the years. The power double or single, IMO, is better than slamming your opponent. Odds are you're going to land a double or single before you get a slam like Cormier.

I know some people will disagree with that, but look at guys like GSP. He didn't want to slam you down, he used the power double and it gave him great results and he's arguably the best wrestler MMA has ever had because of it. There's more wrestlers in MMA that rely on doubles or singles instead of slams because slams are harder to get most of the time and you often use more energy because it's basically you just overpowering your opponent sometimes, because sometimes, you don't just use leverage, sometimes you literally do have to overpower your opponent to get those kinds of slams.

I have no idea how Lesnar/Jones would go. I wouldn't be surprised if Brock would take Jones down quicker/easier than Cormier did though, honestly. Brock's power double was fucking insane in terms of speed & power, also the timing was great, too.

If Jones can stop the TD's then it's going to be Jones all day. If Brock is able to take him down, I'm not sure what happens. I don't know if Brock would be able to hold him there but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he could.

I'm thinking some people will mention when Jones got back to his feet really quick after Cormier threw him down but Jones didn't land on his back, he landed on his knees, so it was much, much easier to stand up immediately. Brock goes for TD's that will always end up with his opponent on their back, not their knees. That's a big difference.

Cormier is the much better, more skilled fighter though, clearly. But Brock was no joke and his wrestling was absolutely fucking insane. The speed, the drive, the timing, man, that power double from Brock was unbelievable and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was able to take Jones down and control him. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised.

Brock gets a lot of hate but he really was a beast. He wasn't the greatest fighter around but for him to come in with no MMA experience/much time of training and all and to win a title in the UFC, that's impressive.

If only Brock got into MMA when he was in his early to mid 20's, imagine how great he could've been.

the size difference alone makes it a completely different fight than DC. Jones would not be able to control Brock the same way. Brock has a decent chance in any MMA fight period but Jones would be a huge favorite and his unorthodox striking would probably finish the fight.

Had Lesnar had the time to develop like Jones it would be a difficult fight for Jones.

At this point I think Jones takes it.

But at the same time Jones doesn't have the heavy hands that has troubled Lesnar in the past, but he does have a far more diverse and dynamic striking game so it's still trouble for Lesnar.

But Jones never faced a physical specimen like Lesnar either.. so at worst it's a toss up.

If Couture was able to resist prime Lesnar, Im 100% sure that Jones could put a hell of a fight.

Brock is 37, doesnt have a big heart for fighting, and hasnt fought in years. Jon Via Cardio death

Prime Brock vs no-weight-cut Jones:

To win Brock would either have to take Bones down, hold him there, and pound him out early in the fight, or else get multiple takedowns in each of at least three rounds of a five round fight without gassing so badly that Jones finishes him. The latter is pretty freaking unlikely. The former could happen, but I wouldn't count on it.

Bones wins if he keeps Brock at enough distance that his double leg TD is ineffective. Brock cannot strike with Jones. Jones also probably wins if the fight spends a lot of time standing in the clinch. There is also an outside chance of Bones getting Brock down and hurting him.

Jones has a lot more ways to win this fight than Brock does. He's never been close to being taken down by a shot from the outside - his range makes it too easy for him to avoid. And guys that step in on Jones wind up in the clinch more or less whenever Jones wants it, where I also can't see Brock winning. And even if Brock could get Jones down, there's no guaranty he could hold him there.

Lesnar would slaughter him. Jones has never been in there with anyone even remotely the size or with anywhere near the power Lesnar has. I also don't think Jones has the power to hurt him. Lesnar gets him down and Jones is in BIG trouble.

Lesnar's mma wrestling is slightly above average. So overrated. He would never get Jones down.

I can't remember seeing Cormier use a power double like Lesnar.

Cormier usually seems to just want to get deep on a single, pick you up and throw you down. Lesnar usually just shoots a power double on you and pulls you to the mat, doesn't try to pick you up in the air which IMO is more difficult than your traditional style power double or whatever.

Both Lesnar & Cormier are very different styles of wrestling in terms of their way of taking their opponent down.

Brock usually just tries to time his power double or he'll just overpower you with that insane drive. Cormier usually puts you against the fence and goes in on a single or clasps behind your back and wants to literally throw you like a rag doll. Their styles are very, very different. Personally, I think Lesnar's style of TD's has proven to be more effective in MMA over the years. The power double or single, IMO, is better than slamming your opponent. Odds are you're going to land a double or single before you get a slam like Cormier.

I know some people will disagree with that, but look at guys like GSP. He didn't want to slam you down, he used the power double and it gave him great results and he's arguably the best wrestler MMA has ever had because of it. There's more wrestlers in MMA that rely on doubles or singles instead of slams because slams are harder to get most of the time and you often use more energy because it's basically you just overpowering your opponent sometimes, because sometimes, you don't just use leverage, sometimes you literally do have to overpower your opponent to get those kinds of slams.

I have no idea how Lesnar/Jones would go. I wouldn't be surprised if Brock would take Jones down quicker/easier than Cormier did though, honestly. Brock's power double was fucking insane in terms of speed & power, also the timing was great, too.

If Jones can stop the TD's then it's going to be Jones all day. If Brock is able to take him down, I'm not sure what happens. I don't know if Brock would be able to hold him there but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he could.

I'm thinking some people will mention when Jones got back to his feet really quick after Cormier threw him down but Jones didn't land on his back, he landed on his knees, so it was much, much easier to stand up immediately. Brock goes for TD's that will always end up with his opponent on their back, not their knees. That's a big difference.

Cormier is the much better, more skilled fighter though, clearly. But Brock was no joke and his wrestling was absolutely fucking insane. The speed, the drive, the timing, man, that power double from Brock was unbelievable and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was able to take Jones down and control him. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised.

Brock gets a lot of hate but he really was a beast. He wasn't the greatest fighter around but for him to come in with no MMA experience/much time of training and all and to win a title in the UFC, that's impressive.

If only Brock got into MMA when he was in his early to mid 20's, imagine how great he could've been.

The big problem with a power double on Jones is that everyone is forced to shoot from another area code due to Jones' striking range. Granted, Jones has never faced anyone as big as Lesnar or with as much power behind his double, but no one's been close to making it an effective tactic against him. That leaves Lesnar the bullrush to push Jones against the fence and then work on the TD. And I just don't see that being effective either. Jones has had pretty good TDD from that position historically, and he also has a lot more ways he can hurt you from the clinch than Lesnar has, and probably better cardio as the fight wears on too.

I agree that Brock probably doesn't get as much credit as he's due nowadays, but I still see this as a pretty bad matchup for him. Not many fighters are as good as Jones at stopping or preventing the exact techniques that Lesnar absolutely needed to win his fights.

ar rhis point im not sure jones will fight again in the ufc

There's a reason why Jones won't fight in the HW.

Forget lesnar, JDS would kill Jones. Lesnar would retire Jones man

Rehab Jones is literally -LITERALLY- one T/E point away from being abandoned in a fucking Bang Bus video, and you want him to fight BROCK?

You people are SICK

Back