Brock Lesnar to compete in ADCC

Also what the fuck is up with people claiming Arona is a "wrestler"? A Ricardo Liborio black (or brown when he won his first) belt who attempted submissions is a wrestler because he had a powerful top game? There is alot more to BJJ than submissions people.

Also Kerr submitted Barnett in ADCC. Just stating because some people said he didnt submit anyone.

*Liborio black belt instead of Arona...oopsie

Last edited:
And on a final note the grappling standard at ADCC has more than doubled since the days of Kerr and Arona. Id hate to say it but it was pretty amateurish back in the day COMPARED to now. Only recently has it truly attained a super elite level, atleast in my opinion.

And on a final note the grappling standard at ADCC has more than doubled since the days of Kerr and Arona. Id hate to say it but it was pretty amateurish back in the day COMPARED to now. Only recently has it truly attained a super elite level, atleast in my opinion.

Nice postwhoring x4. lol

The level of grappling is getting deeper and deeper the longer the ADCC is running. I hate how people underestimate BJJ all the time.

I really don't get what people hate about Lesnar but I have no problem with him doing ADCC. It's good to see that he is taking BJJ that seriously. Maybe he'll get even more eyes to watch it.

ADCC is a Submission Wrestling tournament, not a BJJ one like most people here seem to think. 18 years of wrestling at a high level is going to be hard for anyone to overcome. regardless of how many black belts they have or who they trained under.

I'm more excited about what this means for Lesnar's develompent as an MMA fighter than for his chances at ADCC. If it happens, it shows a great dedication to improving his submission wrestling skills.

I agree 100%. The sport is evolving year after year, some comparings just doesn't make sense to me.

Kerr (and Arona, that as you point out is NOT a wrestler) did what he did a LOT of time ago, why nobody else done it in the meantime if it's so effective?

You messed up the quoting so i'll break them out.

well can you make your mind up, either Marcelo's absolute runs are significant or they are not - i have pointed out that whilst he has beaten bigger players, they were scarcely what one might call Elite. you said weight doesn't matter, well it does when skill is similar, it doesn't when you are fighting someone heavier you outclass. I would put Brock's grappling prowess coupled with his physicality above Ricco or Rolles or Van Arsdale.

In any case, one can win ADCC without attempting a single submission hold, so i think you are going down a rabbit hole to nowhere by trying to differentiate relatively between submission wrestling and wrestling. put world beaters like Taymazov or Makhov to one side, any world top 10/20 freestyle or greco wrestler would ruin at least 90% of their opposition just through dint of their greater physicality/athleticism regardless of their oppositions' sub grappling prowess.

*yes his kryptonite.
*I trained with Roger for 7 years, so i might have a slightly better insight into him than most. the fact i am not jumping all over the thread saying "omg omg Roger is the greatest, Roger FTW " but engaging in reasoned argument about where he might not fare so well should tell you something.
*Jacare beat him in the 2004 and 2005 Mundials Absolute finals (Roger beat him in the 2005 european absolute final and 2005 ADCC absolute final).
*Roger did not break his arm, he hyperextended his elbow resulting in ligament damage.
*Xande beat Roger at the 2006 and 2008 Mundials Absolute finals and the 2006 Pan Ams Super Heavy Final.
*Xande may play points against Roger, but he has his share of subs to, at the 2006 mundials, Roger and he subbed all their opponents barring each other in their final.
*Any match he has against xande or jacare would never be easy to call.
*Regardless of when he beat him (and they last fought in 2007), Jon Olav is perhaps the guy closest in style to my mind to Roger and probably his most dangerous opponent to date.
*again, i feel Roger struggles with shorter, powerful, explosive, top game players, the 5 defeats against Jacare and Xande go some way to bear this belief out - a prime Arona or Monson could well have beaten him, but since he never fought them, how he fared against other grapplers is rather irrelevant. equally how monson and arona have done at ADCC against other grapplers (rather well actually) is also rather irrelevant.

what exactly has Arona ever done to distinguish himself as a submission wrestler distinct from a wrestler in ADCC - he hasn't ever submitted anyone. you ignore my comparison with Ortiz, a smaller, less accomplished wrestler than Brock who took Arona to a refs decision when Arona was in his prime.
and again, you cannot say sub wrestling and wrestling are two totally different styles when people who are moderately good at the latter (kerr, arona, ortiz) have already had success in the former.

and it is total inaccurate to say that arona is 10x more technical or faster or whatever without providing any specific comparators.
based on his nfl combine stats alone ((at 6'4'', 296lbs - 40 Yard Dash: 4.65 seconds; Vertical Jump: 35 inches; Broad Jump: 10 foot; Bench Press: 43 reps of 225lbs) i'd say those indicate brock is a more explosive, faster athlete than arona. Absolutely no way would Arona put up those numbers any time in the last decade, even when he was chemically enhanced.

yes as i recall (i was sat by the mat so a couple of metres away from them) after 15 minutes of ragdolling galvao around (Galvao did have a good armbar attempt to be fair), with at least two strong sub attempts, galvao took his back for the 4pts to win 4-0. Weidman's physicality was too much for Galvao to mount any significant attack against for the majority of the match and Galvao is generally held to be one of the best conditioned athletes in BJJ.

Excellent points but I am afraid such things like training with the worlds best BJJ player, sitting matside at some of the matches in question and real stats hold no weight when compared to opinion and blind loyalty.

I respect that he wants to challenge himself, but Marcio Cruz, Werdum, Barral - pretty much any top tier heavyweight - is going to make very quick work of him.

Rinaldi took 2nd this past year.

No one who thinks Brock has a chance is knocking BJJ.

Brock is training BJJ with one of the best.

I look at Brocks athleticism and size and I think if he dedicates himself to Sub grappling like he appears to be doing that he will be elite in that sport.

I look at Brocks athleticism and size and I think if he dedicates himself to Sub grappling like he appears to be doing that he will be elite in that sport.

i can see him gravitating towards being a more submission oriented fighter in the future as it corresponds better with his background. imo, he's a lot more likely to develop into a submission ace than a knockout artist because of his age and time left to compete, he has a much shorter distance to go skillwise.

i can see him gravitating towards being a more submission oriented fighter in the future as it corresponds better with his background. imo, he's a lot more likely to develop into a submission ace than a knockout artist because of his age and time left to compete, he has a much shorter distance to go skillwise.

I don't think anyone expects Brock to become a knockout artist, given how bad his boxing is now. More like a football-tackle-and-hammerfist artist. I think it will be a while before we see him use submissions on Cain, Mir, or any Brazilian fighters though.

I don't think anyone expects Brock to become a knockout artist, given how bad his boxing is now. More like a football-tackle-and-hammerfist artist.

i agree, his hands are horrible and i just don't see him developing them at this stage of his life to a high level to be able to "bang" effectively. but he can polish the wrestling he's done his whole life, add the BJJ, and develop into a very scary(ier) ground guy.

I think it will be a while before we see him use submissions on Cain, Mir, or any Brazilian fighters though.

I think Cain will be a great test. he's younger, has great wrestling as well, but also has developed great hands in the time he has been fighting(imagine Brock if he had started training for MMA right after college?) plus the fact that he was always an undersized HWT in college, he has alot of experience in wrestling bigger guys. will be a great fight!

i agree, his hands are horrible and i just don't see him developing them at this stage of his life to a high level to be able to "bang" effectively. but he can polish the wrestling he's done his whole life, add the BJJ, and develop into a very scary(ier) ground guy.

I think Cain will be a great test. he's younger, has great wrestling as well, but also has developed great hands in the time he has been fighting(imagine Brock if he had started training for MMA right after college?) plus the fact that he was always an undersized HWT in college, he has alot of experience in wrestling bigger guys. will be a great fight!

Good post and I agree. It is funny you hear ALL the time, establish dominant position and position before submission and all the cliches you can think of.

Brock has demonstrated dominant positioning and he certainly has the position piece of the puzzle solved yet everyone who is knocking him is talking about his submission skills which he is CLEARLY working on.

While he may not be a sweep artist he more than likely will have top control anyway, at that point it is a matter or not getting sub'd, not getting swepts and being able to pass guard. After that any submission actually landed is just gravy.

he'll probably do better then most will give him credit for. but his huge frame will not benefit him as much in grappling as it does in mma.

While he may not be a sweep artist he more than likely will have top control anyway, at that point it is a matter or not getting sub'd, not getting swepts and being able to pass guard. After that any submission actually landed is just gravy.

i agree, he's going to be a top control guy and it's going to be really hard to stop him from getting there. his bottom game against Carwin, was pretty meh... granted, he was rocked and it was a fight not a grappling match, but he didn't really show much from his back but then again, Carwin really didn't force him to. who knows? he might be a triangle machine in the gym, but was just so rocked he couldn't do anything...

i agree, he's going to be a top control guy and it's going to be really hard to stop him from getting there. his bottom game against Carwin, was pretty meh... granted, he was rocked and it was a fight not a grappling match, but he didn't really show much from his back but then again, Carwin really didn't force him to. who knows? he might be a triangle machine in the gym, but was just so rocked he couldn't do anything...

I thought Brock did a pretty good job of keeping Carwin away with open guard and then standing back up from turtle. That's really all I expect Brock to be able to do from his back.

I thought Brock did a pretty good job of keeping Carwin away with open guard and then standing back up from turtle. That's really all I expect Brock to be able to do from his back.

i guess that's right, but imo he still took way too many punches from a guy with alot of power without really trying to control his posture or distance. but again, he was pretty rocked and Carwin wasn't really pushing to get to mount or side, he seemed content to stay there and throw punches.

yes, worth reflecting that apart from a few lucky points at the end, Galvao was getting owned from pillar to post by Weidman.

I have to agree. That was one of my 5 favorite matches from that event. I was very surprised. Weidman had some good throws, maybe 2 but especially 1 very tight Darce attempt, a Peruvian attempt, and in general he controlled the pace for the entire match. I have been on the lookout for Weidman both in MMA and grappling, but haven't found much since then.

Back