Brock Lesnar to compete in ADCC

Much as I would like to see if Lesnar could emulate Kerr (I think he could do very wll within the ADCC ruleset) I'll believe this when I see it. Many big names have been promised at ADCC in the past.

I think Werdum, Braulio and Roger could definitely take Brock and maybe some others. But as we all know crazy stuff can happen and NCAA credentials of Brock's calibre are not to be sniffed at.

NCAA division II champ = no grappling experience whatsoever? :icon_neut

be real with yourself man....

And btw, I didn't make any proclamations regarding his success or lack thereof in ADCC. You did.

If you're so confident about your prediction, then AV bet. He's going to ruin alot of guys who's nuts you all swing from.

NCAA wrestling does not equal sub grappling. Even MMA does not equal sub grappling. They are three different sports. Brock has never competed in sub grappling and has not done enough specific training for it to convince me that he would be successful in ADCC. I swing from the nuts of no man, I just think that there's no way Brock could take a whole bracket full of the world's best heavyweight professional submission grapplers, playing under their rules.

And yeah, I think that someone like Cyborg Abreu or Fabricio Werdum would break his shit off. But can we wait until it's actually confirmed to bother with a sig bet?

No fucking way. At least it will be nice to see his jiujitsu exposed without having the benefit of smashing people's face in from half guard.

Much as I would like to see if Lesnar could emulate Kerr (I think he could do very wll within the ADCC ruleset) I'll believe this when I see it. Many big names have been promised at ADCC in the past.

I think Werdum, Braulio and Roger could definitely take Brock and maybe some others. But as we all know crazy stuff can happen and NCAA credentials of Brock's calibre are not to be sniffed at.

I'd love to see him compete, but it's hard to see where the motivation to do this is. He's got another superfight coming up with Cain that's going to pay him millions. Where's he going to get the time to train pure no-gi grappling?

I'm sure he has a pretty dominating top game, though. He really controlled Mir, who isn't the greatest BJJ blackbelt (but who IS a legit bb for mma) and pretty large himself. I would think it would be hard to sweep someone that strong who is close to 300 pounds with an elite wrestling background? Then again Lesnar is used to deterring guys from going for subs by punching them in the face and he wouldn't have that advantage in ADCC :icon_chee

I dont like Lesnar at all, but its cool to see him go out and try to improve his game.

I'm not going to be an idiot and even remotely try and judge brock's grappling abilities when punches and kicks are disallowed. I think he would possibly do well in the adcc. I don't see him getting scored on at will. I think he will do well. Win it? Lol probably not. But he won't be getting raped in someone's guard like people think.

I'd love to see him compete, but it's hard to see where the motivation to do this is. He's got another superfight coming up with Cain that's going to pay him millions. Where's he going to get the time to train pure no-gi grappling?

I'm sure he has a pretty dominating top game, though. He really controlled Mir, who isn't the greatest BJJ blackbelt (but who IS a legit bb for mma) and pretty large himself. I would think it would be hard to sweep someone that strong who is close to 300 pounds with an elite wrestling background? Then again Lesnar is used to deterring guys from going for subs by punching them in the face and he wouldn't have that advantage in ADCC :icon_chee

when did he ever train in a gi????

I wonder how brock goes against comprido, that would give him an indicator as to how he might go at adcc.

Roger does -99kg generally. i think he could beat brock, i think someone like jon olav einemo would also be an interesting match up - if brock ended up in the guard of either of those two he'd be in trouble.

The +99kg category (and pesadissimo at the mundials) tend to be one of the weaker divisions talent wise. let's look at 2009: Kouji Kanechika, Antoine Jaoude, Tomasz Janiszewski, Janne-Pekka Pietil

NCAA wrestling does not equal sub grappling. Even MMA does not equal sub grappling. They are three different sports. I just think that there's no way Brock could take a whole bracket full of the world's best heavyweight professional submission grapplers, playing under their rules.

But regardless of its title (world sub wrestling championships) success in ADCC isn;t necessarily predicated on sub grappling expertise, 2 of the three most accomplished guys in ADCC History Kerr and Arona (Sperry is the third) are hardly what you would call "submission grapplers", they either totally or almost totally won their matches through wrestling and positional control (ironically iirc Kerr had at least 1 sub compared to Arona's none?).

And don't forget Tito Ortiz (an MMA fighter with a wrestling background) at ADCC 2000, he won won 4 matches and took 3rd and with regard to the Ortiz/Arona semifinal, Ortiz should probably have won that match with some observers thinking the refs decision to Arona was bs.

And that is just an average wrestler, good lord, if you put guys like Artur Taymazov or Beylal Makhov in that field, the guys with a BJJ background would be screaming for the Sheikh/their mothers/the ghost of Conde Koma to come and save them, it would be an horrific beatdown.

I just think that there's no way Brock could take a whole bracket full of the world's best heavyweight professional submission grapplers, playing under their rules.

i think you flatter the field, of the 16 there are generally only 4 or 5 genuine world class sub grapplers in there, some former greats and there is always plenty of european and asian 'cannon fodder' in there.

isn't braulio fighting jacare in the superfight in 2011?

braulio couldn't beat a fairly prime monson at the 2007 10K Challenge, i don't think he matches up well against powerful top game players (see his matches with jacare as well).

I would love to see elite active greco, freestyle, judoka and samboists in there, but unsurprisingly i guess those athletes would rather focus on their own sports whilst they are in their prime.

If he competes, much respect to him for trying and stepping out of his comfort zone.

SOme of you guys are just fucking haters.

Look at what Gerry Rinaldi did tthis year without a weight advantage and with less creds than Brock.

If anyone serioulsy thinks that an athlete of Brocks calibre with Comprido as his coach can't win ADCC you are a pure hater.

I'm not saying he will win but he has the coaching and the ability to be on top of the grappling world.

HWT is a weak division in ADCC compared to going against Marcelo, Jacare and Popovitch with no weight advatage.

Brock has very quick movement on the ground, great hips and knows how to keep somes hip pinned down.

It wouldn't be a sub clinic but he is capable of winning.

Some of you guys put to much emphasis on the art and not the competitor.

Yeah Brock comes from wrestling but he is a worldclass athlete who is training witha worldclass BJJ coach.

didn't jacare beat the shit out of matt lindland and sub him?

Wasn't lindland and olympic wrestler?

you post some stupid shit on here.

if jacare was the same weight as randy, jacare would maul him in mma or ADCC.

I'd much rather see shogun beat the shit out of randy. Shogun probably has the best bjj of any lhw in the ufc.

using your retarded logic lets put BJ penn against Brock.

It is like the more you hang out in heavies the more of an idiot you become

Lindland was a 167lber in wrestler. Just bringing it up since we are talking about size

nice breakdown, but you are failing at something, you are giving too much credit to weight... does weight matters, hell yeah, is it going to be THE decisive factor in adcc? hell no... marcelo garcia has proved time and time again that weight isnt that big of a deal at ADCC (at least not that big as is in MMA)... now, when you have weight and the skill of roger gracie, thats something different...
Marcelo is one of the greats of BJJ, but if you put his absolute runs in the gi to one side in ADCC i think you flatter his ADCC absolute record a little too much. For sure he has been involved in some very enjoyable matches against huge guys, but when you look at who they are, they are all broadly speaking big guys of modest sub grappling talent (Latifi, Van Arsdale, Rolles) or good guys who were out of shape (Ricco) certainly not what you might deem the elite.
With the exception of Xande in 2005 and maybe Cacareco in 2007, when he fights bigger people of similar talent he generally loses (Braulio, Jacare, Pe de Pano, Drysdale).

now, when you have weight and the skill of roger gracie, thats something different...
Roger only weighs around 220 though and his kryptonite is poweful top game players with good standup (Jacare, Xande) or people like Jon Olav (who is broadly speaking a Norwegian Roger with similar game and physical attributes). A winner from Prime Roger vs Prime Monson or Prime Arona would by no means be easy to call.

Arona might be a way smaller version of lesnar, but he is also 10x more techinical and faster, and he was fucking huge when he compited at adcc back then...
How do you figure? 10x more technical than Brock at a sport (wrestling) he has no credentials in? Faster? in what way? And effing huge? define huge, he competed at -99kg in 2000 and 2001 when he won his two weight categories and his absolute, how does that equate to effing huge? Even if he cut weight to make -99kg he still would probably be ~40 to 50lbs smaller than Brock's usual weight.

Another thing is that the level of competition right now is much better than what it was back on aronas time...
i'm not sure that holds true when you compare the relative fields. 1998 and to an extent 1999 were quite weak but still had elite grapplers in.
In any case it isn;t comparing apples with apples, Arona fought at -99kg so the strength of his competition isn't relevant, Lesnar would be fighting at +99kg and those early fields had Kerr, Ricco, Pe de Pano, Rigan, Monson etc back when they were all in their prime.

Marcelo is one of the greats of BJJ, but if you put his absolute runs in the gi to one side in ADCC i think you flatter his ADCC absolute record a little too much. For sure he has been involved in some very enjoyable matches against huge guys, but when you look at who they are, they are all broadly speaking big guys of modest sub grappling talent (Latifi, Van Arsdale, Rolles) or good guys who were out of shape (Ricco) certainly not what you might deem the elite.
With the exception of Xande in 2005 and maybe Cacareco in 2007, when he fights bigger people of similar talent he generally loses (Braulio, Jacare, Pe de Pano, Drysdale).

Roger only weighs around 220 though and his kryptonite is poweful top game players with good standup (Jacare, Xande) or people like Jon Olav (who is broadly speaking a Norwegian Roger with similar game and physical attributes). A winner from Prime Roger vs Prime Monson or Prime Arona would by no means be easy to call.

How do you figure? 10x more technical than Brock at a sport (wrestling) he has no credentials in? Faster? in what way? And effing huge? define huge, he competed at -99kg in 2000 and 2001 when he won his two weight categories and his absolute, how does that equate to effing huge? Even if he cut weight to make -99kg he still would probably be ~40 to 50lbs smaller than Brock's usual weight.

i'm not sure that holds true when you compare the relative fields. 1998 and to an extent 1999 were quite weak but still had elite grapplers in.
In any case it isn;t comparing apples with apples, Arona fought at -99kg so the strength of his competition isn't relevant, Lesnar would be fighting at +99kg and those early fields had Kerr, Ricco, Pe de Pano, Rigan, Monson etc back when they were all in their prime.

This man is right.

BJJ/Grappling/MMA are just now starting to get Big world class athletes not blown up 190-200lbers or big out of shape guys.

SO I guess we all know better than Rodrigo Medeiros who said
"A 18 year wrestling background help him tremendously when training in Jiu Jitsu. He is rolling with my black belts and winning. The Jiu Jitsu from Brock is phenomenal. His ability to control and defend submissions is now in a whole new level. I recommend the ADCC to him and he will enter in the coming future. I will be with him and I don't think he will lose. No one will tap him and no one will outpoint him."
it's funny when a respected top level competetive BJJ trainer says something appealing to the fan boys the word is gold. When it is something contrary to the same, obviously he knows not what he speaks of.

SO I guess we all know better than Rodrigo Medeiros who said it's funny when a respected top level competetive BJJ trainer says something appealing to the fan boys the word is gold. When it is something contrary to the same, obviously he knows not what he speaks of.

I hoped that Brock hate would not reach this board.

This past year we had Ben Askren, Chris Wiedman and Gerry Rinaldi all compete in ADCC, but they do not have a WWE background.

Comprido would not say this if he did not beleive it and would not puch him to compete in this tourney if he did not think he could compete with the best in the world.

You know, I would hate for him to win, but he's such a big powerful guy. If he gets top position and is able to smother his opponents, he has a great chance. Betting on him against anyone can be considered smart money.

Hmm... well, you just named some of the best Bjj of the world, of course he will struggle against those guys, but Brock is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from the level of those guys.... for cry out load, HE HAD TO LOOK AT HIS CORNER IN ORDERT TO MAKE A FUCKING ARM TRIANGLE RIGHT!!!!!

his kriptonite??? jacare beat him ONCE (I could be wrong though, but I dont rememer another time) at the mundials, and roger broke his arm, he refused to engage for 5 minutes, then he subbed jacares ass at ADCC... xande has always played point and I dont even remember the last time he beat roger... and regarding to jon olav, im sorry for my ignorace, but when was the last time he beat Roger? like 7 years ago right?

How can you even compare the runs that Roger, monson and arona has had, mosnon vs arona I could give to you, but Roger tapped every fucking one, thats something NO ONE has ever done... im sorry, but you are just wrong comparing roger to either one of them.

Im not talking about wrestling, im talking about submission wrestling, and of course is 10x faster than brock, since is probably 50 pounds lighert than him, physics... And he was a huge roid up beast (probably not as heavy, but still pretty big)... And im not saying he was bigger than lesnar, just saying he was pretty big....

agree...

I hoped that Brock hate would not reach this board.

This past year we had Ben Askren, Chris Wiedman and Gerry Rinaldi all compete in ADCC, but they do not have a WWE background.

yes, worth reflecting that apart from a few lucky points at the end, Galvao was getting owned from pillar to post by Weidman.

Back