Brock Lesnar begged Dana White to make Pat Barry retire after latest KO

surgeyou1

Welcome to the Machida Era...Part Deux
@Steel
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...r-latest-ko-051114?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:ufconfox

Dana White spoke to the media after UFC Fight Night in Cincinnati and covered off on several things, from Brock Lesnar to how Fabio Maldonado got the chance to stand in for the injured Junior Dos Santos versus heavy hitter Stipe Miocic

The Brock Lesnar Phone Call

Pat Barry may no longer be a UFC fighter, but he still remains a popular figure in the realm of combat sports. Following his semi-retirement from mixed martial arts, Barry went back to the sport of kickboxing, where he first made his start before transitioning to the UFC.
Unfortunately, Barry was brutalized in a fight in Denver, CO last weekend, which marked the fourth time he's been knocked out in less than two years time. The violent nature with which Barry gets knocked out might be the most concerning factor in potential head trauma that he's suffered over the last few years.

His latest knockout loss was so hard to watch that a former training partner and friend of Barry's called UFC president Dana White asking him to beg the Louisiana native to call it a career.

"Brock Lesnar called me and begged me to make him retire," White revealed to FOX Sports. "He said 'I don't consider too many people my friend, and I consider Pat Barry a friend, Dana you've got to get this guy to retire'. I said listen he's a grown man, Brock. What am I going to do, there's only so much I can do."

White said the decision to retire doesn't come lightly for any athlete, but it's not as difficult a call when it's not the only way the person is currently making a living. Past UFC fighters who needed a bit of convincing from White were financially secure, and not competing anymore wouldn't leave them in any kind of peril.

He's not sure where Barry would sit on that list, but at the end of the day with the kind of knockouts he's suffering, the choice may be taken out of his hands regardless of whether or not he wants to retire.
"It's different with guys like Forrest (Griffin) and Chuck (Liddell) guys that I have relationships with for a long time and guys who have made a lot of money. That's the difference. It's easy to make them quit. Lot tougher to make a guy quit that has to make a living," White said.
"I don't want to hurt Pat Barry or throw a monkey wrench in his life or anything, but at the end of the day, state athletic commissions that need to step in and help a guy like Pat Barry retire or people that care about him."

Too bad Barry still thinks he can fight.
"I don't want to do all that wrestling anymore!"
He should retire and save what's left of his brain.

390x270xPat-Barry-KO-Glory-16.png.speedilic.ic.1f0VLfgMBx.jpg

Sad reality is if Pat Barry continues on the path he is on now, the guy will be brain dead in later years

Brock is a good dude. I fear for Pat post retirement.

I feel really bad for Pat. Hopefully his family can convince him to retire.

FOUR times in less than two years????? jesus christ retire

Overeem's friends are conspicuously absent...

I feel bad for him. He seems like a genuinely nice guy and hopefully he'll consider retirement and save himself more damage but he isn't that rich and maybe he doesn't have any choice but to keep on fighting.

You can't help but like the guy, but he has a deathwish.

I actually can't stand the guy and his awkward attempts at being funny. Nonetheless, this breaks my heart to see a guy getting completely knocked unconscious on multiple occasions but then be all about continuing his career.

Surely Pat can retire and stay active on the backside of MMA via coaching and such. He seems like a good guy and his story coming into the UFC is a good one. All the best to him.

I think he would be good as a colour commentator.

Doesn't have the chin to bang with the heavyweights. Same as Overeem & most other humans.

Brock is a good dude, he doesn't get the respect he deserves on these boards and its a damn shame.

That's cool of Brock. He's the reason I got into MMA back in 2009.

Brock is a good dude, he doesn't get the respect he deserves on these boards and its a damn shame.

I'll bet he's a good dude but his MMA deserves only a bare minimum of respect, and certainly a lot less than more experienced, more prepared fighters, of which there are thousands.

Nice of Brock to care about his former training partner. Barry needs to call it a day.

Back