International Brittney Griner WNBA-/Russia

296608059_671515344340060_549723454770473392_n.jpg

getting arrested has gotten her more fame and notoriety than she would have ever gotten. She is only know in the US for being really tall and being a domestic abuser.
Character assassination aside, It is NOT common place for Americans to be arrested for small amounts of drugs in foreign countries and given a harsh prison sentence. This also recently happened to a white teacher who brought more cartridges to Russia and was given 14 years. This is a political imprisonment and the US has an obligation to rescue their citizens who are caught up in a war. When you hear about people getting these prison sentences or death penalty they are drug traffickers moving large amounts of dangerous narcotics.
She wasn't ever wanting notoriety or fame and her career is over whichever way this sways.
I'm liking that while she's shown photos of her loved ones and her team she hasn't broken down. If I were in her very long shoes I can't say I would be as brave.

The overriding issue is the collision of norms from two groups of people separated by half a planet.

You can say that there's no way on earth she should be held that long for some weed, and you'd be 100% correct, at least in my eyes.
You can also say that she really should have taken proper inventory, and be aware that Russia is not really 420 friendly like America, and you'd also be correct.

My thoughts, not particularly organized---
Nine years for weed is exceedingly harsh in my opinion. I only say "my opinion" because again, we're talking about differences in mores between two continents. In the context of the states or really anywhere on the NA continent we could call this a universal belief. But this is Russia, and I think it's safe to say they don't care what we think.

I'm noticing that people are accepting or rejecting each other based not on what they think the appropriate reaction to this incident should be, but rather based on how angry someone is over it. It's like everyone realizes that 1) 9 years for weed is absurd, and 2) we can't start a major skirmish because someone broke the laws of the soil on which they tread. But whether you're right or wrong depends entirely on how upset this makes you.

I agree that she was probably targeted for political reasons. But I also think the widespread attention the US is giving this, is also possibly politically motivated. I hope I'm not breaking news to anyone here, but many Americans have been arrested and are serving sentences in Russia for similar things, and nobody gives a shit about them.

I take no pleasure in the irony of someone who demonstrated such vicious hatred of her country who now pleads for it to expedite her. But it's a very noticeable glare. The more tragic irony is that it is probably the fact that she took her country for granted that she is in this situation. Nobody in the states would dream of imprisoning, or being imprisoned, for nine years over weed. The thought probably never occurred to her, and why would it?
I agree with 99% of your post, a very realistic and sober take on the situation.

That said, I can’t help but take pleasure in the irony of a person who shits on western values now getting a taste of reality in a non western society. The system that imprisoned her is literally the kind of system leftist lunatics are trying to create here, so poetic.

Yes if you believe in karma, celebrating this is the correct thing lmao

Not celebrating it... but the irony is thick. It was mildly amusing at first, but fuck Russia for dumping a 9 year sentence on her.

I do wonder how her feelings towards the US will change if Biden (or someone else) is able to get her home. Maybe she'll appreciate what she has here? I'm definitely curious.

Either way, I do feel for her. She's caught in the middle of this mess and Russia is using her as a pawn.

Not the same thing at all but I haven’t heard of any American left behind that wasn’t given a chance to get out. Pretty sure they all chose that course of action

Not the same thing at all but I haven’t heard of any American left behind that wasn’t given a chance to get out. Pretty sure they all chose that course of action
Private contractors rescued many of them, so no. The Taliban had lists of people to let out. If you weren't on a list, too bad. We also left billions in weapons there. The women of Afghanistan are especially fucked. Biden's just a dimwitted fucking asshole.

She’s literally under contract through 2023 and was ranked the 13th best player in the WNBA by ESPN last year.

By what metric are you suggesting “her career is over”? I’m pretty sure that would be news to even her.
I concede. Totally. I don't know enough to argue.

She makes 1.5 mil in russia that shit sounds like a money laundering front she only makes 221k in the wnba I find it hard to believe russians love female basketball that much the arenas she plays at look like it barely holds 8000 people.

Back