British police's attempts to criminalize people's opinions.

What's the end game with policing speech? You're clearly not going to change people's minds by arresting them, and will in fact make people more resentful of groups they can't even criticize, so social cohesion isn't the reason.

UK never actually had freedom of speech, but they were able to speak pretty freely a few years ago, and now they have well over 3500 people/year arrested for "offensive" online comments, knife crime rose 22%, gun crime up 11%, rape gangs, the NHS has decreased in quality and its cost, both in total and as percentage of GDP, has been on a steep incline for the last 20 years. What direction do they think they're taking the country?
Things will swing back in the other direction, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Things will swing back in the other direction, hopefully sooner rather than later.
I'll have to beg everyone's pardon in advance, but my gf's grandfather had communists come to his house in the middle of the night, confiscate his farm, kidnap him and send him to a labor camp in Siberia, so i'd like some assurance that we aren't moving towards that, because every indicator seems like we are.

Bro it’s the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. I have family who were killed in the holocaust, and was raised with grandparents who were orphaned in it.

Don’t even attempt that stupid comparison please.

I strongly disagree with the law also. But these people aren’t being killed simply for who they are. They can follow the law and seek legal methods to have it repealed.

British police need to remember that the public's goodwill is vastly more important than that of the politicians. Or, indeed, their senior officers, who will be safely behind the lines when excrement meets rotational air cooling device. There was a case about a year ago when the head of the Met's Federation - UK coppers version of a union - complained that unless the public were willing to step up and physically help his officers restrain violent criminals, coppers wouldn't attempt to arrest them for fear of being injured.

The British model is Policing by Consent of the Public. Piss off enough of the public by following stupid laws slavishly and that consent will eventually be withdrawn. And then you get situations like the Poll Tax Riots, when coppers found out the hard way the limits of their ability to enforce the law.

You guys do realize that cops don’t make the laws, right?

That’s like blaming soldiers for a war you don’t agree with.

It’s the politicians in either case.
That's true, but surely a cop can let go of a car going 10 mph over the limit? Or even 15, no? Or let a jaywalker walk?

Haha back to whatever hole you came from bitch

TxC6zpGTeb2AmOdCGo0dvkInVsEUH6xxfmLURlza4W0rN7aXYTX_kRRSWKGlCg75dn36p0_nbZW6BAmjvELfDf8eEtBMFbEp573h2kth7UVK=w425-h284
Your mothers?

You guys do realize that cops don’t make the laws, right?

That’s like blaming soldiers for a war you don’t agree with.

It’s the politicians in either case.
"I was just following orders" wasnt good enough for the Nazi soldiers though, bud ;)

That's true, but surely a cop can let go of a car going 10 mph over the limit? Or even 15, no? Or let a jaywalker walk?
Sure can. It’s tricker when something is posted on social media for posterity though

Speaking as an American, once we solve the extra-judicial executions problem I will start worrying about cops potentially violating my free speech rights.
How are you planning on making sure enough people know about and understand a problem if you can't talk about it? How will you organize? Whatcha gonna do if the courts aren't sympathetic to your issue? What if voting is two or four years away?

Cops over there can turn a blind eye to rape gangs, ignoring social media posts should be a breeze...
Good point. I’m not too familiar with UK law enforcement specifically, and for whatever reason they have some serious issues to deal with.

But it comes from the top down.

Bro it’s the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. I have family who were killed in the holocaust, and was raised with grandparents who were orphaned in it.

Don’t even attempt that stupid comparison please.

I strongly disagree with the law also. But these people aren’t being killed simply for who they are. They can follow the law and seek legal methods to have it repealed.
The biggest difference is that these cops today won’t be executed for disobeying.

I have far more understanding and sympathy for Nazi soldiers.

The biggest difference is that these cops today won’t be executed for disobeying.

I have far more understanding and sympathy for Nazi soldiers.
I’m assuming you’re just ignorant.

No one had to join the SS or SA to work at the concentration camps. People had to aspire to those positions.

The rank and file infantry weren’t charged at Nuremberg so idk what you’re equating here.

Good point. I’m not too familiar with UK law enforcement specifically, and for whatever reason they have some serious issues to deal with.

But it comes from the top down.

I do agree the problems are rom the top. In an ideal world the British public would hang those responsible for he cover up, it would likely have the benefit of fixing shit like this too

Sure can. It’s tricker when something is posted on social media for posterity though
That's a very good point. What do you think of certain sheriffs (or cops?) saying they won't follow orders to confiscate guns because it goes against the constitution?

That's a very good point. What do you think of certain sheriffs (or cops?) saying they won't follow orders to confiscate guns because it goes against the constitution?
I agree with it. I took an oath to uphold the constitution and I expect law enforcement to take that seriously.

That gets into trickier ground as far as what is or isn’t a lawful order, and it’s up to the individuals involved to make those decisions.

But as I said in another post (not this thread) I do support states having a degree of autonomy from the federal laws; whether I agree with the dissent (like I do with states ignoring drug laws) or disagree (like I do with states flaunting immigration laws) I still think it should be up to the states in most cases as long it’s not human rights abuses involved.

Obviously they haven't learned anything from their mass rapes scandals. Nuts.

En, it’s becoming something different for sure, I’ve been based here for 17 years.

There's a lot to like about China, especially Shanghai. But the negatives far outweigh the positives in the long run.

What always killed me about China was how in a country of over a billion people, the number of attractive women was disproportionately low. They have some stunners, for sure (My wife is Chinese, for example), but overall it was a massive disappointment.

When I was in Japan it felt like I was in a sea beauties. China was like a fucking drought. The worst thing would be every time you thought you saw a girl with an ass, you'd speed up to get a look at her from the front, only for it to be some āyí out shopping for vegetables.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back