British mma

deadscou5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
How much do you think we would improve if wrestling was taught like in usa from high school ?

Because i think tha is are major floor we just cant cope with the ground game u know when i was young all i was ever taught was boxing its the same all over the uk im currently taking my nephew to wresling classes because i think its even better self defence wise than boxing

A whole shitload, it's the biggest flaw in British MMA right now.
More gyms for everything else is needed as well, but the lack of wrestling is a huge thing.

It would have helped a lot in the early days but not so much anymore. High school and college wrestling is a lot different than mma wrestling. We are seeing Americans who did not wrestle in college do very well in mma wrestling, especially defensively, because they just learn it the mma way from the beginning. Brits can do the same.

Not much. There is a massive wrestling culture in the USA, making kids want to do it. We see a lot of them in MMA, because they are scared to stop competing, and its the only logical next step to continuing that. I am a wrestling coach for a rowdy team of 17 boys aged 12-18 and about half of them were born in the US. Most of the other kids don't even know what wrestling is, they think it looks gay and mock it at every chance.

they would have to change the gear first, if you told a british kid to wear this he would tell you to fuck right off.....

12028206-large.jpg

No one cares about mma in the UK, wrestling isn't going to help

And just to add some more bad news in

ANDERSON VS BISPING IS ONLY FIGHT PASS EXCLUSIVE!

So you wont be able to watch it on BT Sports, which is quite pathetic since the fight is in England, shows they don't give a shit about making the sport grow here or anywhere else in Europe.

MMA seems to have almost died off entirely in the UK from what I can see. 5 years ago there were 4 MMA gyms near to where I live including one owned by James Mcsweeney. None of them survive today, my closest gym is now in London which is far too far to get to. I don't think the Brits are going to get much better.

The political scheme of things in the UK won't adopt wrestling in the curriculum. I asked my sons headteacher why he couldn't follow my steps and play Rugby with/for the school and they tell me it is too physical and now the boy embarrassingly plays basketball. The UK is not about work ethic and discipline the UK sadly is now about "the nanny state". However there are mma schools which encorporate wrestling techniques.

It would help. But here in the U.S. wrestlers do it there whole lives. From elementary school all the way up to the college level. That's experience that you can't just teach in a few years. Sure there are some who pick it up and can have a functional wrestling such as Gus and Kongo. But those are few and far between.

Brazilians don't do it in school either and it was never a problem for them in MMA. Any kids now in the UK or anywhere else in the world will be training everything from day one once they join an MMA gym. So maybe doing something in school that was a little bit similar to MMA was an advantage back when the sport was unknown but not so much anymore.

Not enough interest, as in MMA on a whole in the UK. Boxing will always be the first choice in the UK for contact sport. Britain has some strong roots with boxing, I don't think MMA can ever grow over here, plus shitty weather lol

No one cares about mma in the UK, wrestling isn't going to help

And just to add some more bad news in

ANDERSON VS BISPING IS ONLY FIGHT PASS EXCLUSIVE!

So you wont be able to watch it on BT Sports, which is quite pathetic since the fight is in England, shows they don't give a shit about making the sport grow here or anywhere else in Europe.
It will be shown on tale delay or live on pick tv. Also the reason bt sport do not show fight pass events live is becasue fight pass events were not on the origional broadcasting deal the UFC signed with Bt sport.

MMA seems to have almost died off entirely in the UK from what I can see. 5 years ago there were 4 MMA gyms near to where I live including one owned by James Mcsweeney. None of them survive today, my closest gym is now in London which is far too far to get to. I don't think the Brits are going to get much better.
I think this new generation (Breese, Till, Edwards, Allen, Roberts, etc.) look pretty good.

Back