British comedy

How is this so hard to grasp as a concept?

I saw a little British humor, found it to be more different than I expected as compared to American humor, and did not go about trying to find more of something I do not enjoy.

If you tried eating some Chinese food, but generally disliked all of it while only enjoying maybe one dish, would you continue to eat Chinese food?

If I tried 3 Chinese dishes, liked 1 disliked 2, I wouldn't start a thread stating I disliked Chinese food.

I'd also realise there were literally 1000s of other dishes out there as well.

British comedy covers a wide spectrum of humour and one comedian does not represent that whole spectrum. You thinking he does makes no sense. Why you think Gervais' show was better when it was adapted for a US audience is something I hope you can understand by yourself without any further explanation.

Anyway, if you think that British comedy sucks, that's fine, but it doesn't seem that you actually know what you're talking about especially because Zer named a couple of shows and you didn't actually know any of them.

I NEVER CLAIMED TO KNOW SHIT ABOUT IT.

I said from the get go my experience is very limited and have seen very little British comedy. Ergo, I did not seek out more British humor, because what I saw, I did not enjoy.

You totally missed my whole point. I thought the US version of the Office was better, because it was geared to an American audience and had more American humor, especially after season one. They are two vastly different shows with the same core concept, except Steve Carell comes off as likable yet aloof and stupid while Gervais comes off as a creep. That's the whole point, and I enjoyed the American version better. I was simply stating what I know, and seeing if most Americans shared the same view of British humor that I have.

If I tried 3 Chinese dishes, liked 1 disliked 2, I wouldn't start a thread stating I disliked Chinese food.

I'd also realise there were literally 1000s of other dishes out there as well.

What if you tried 20 Chinese dishes, and only enjoyed one? Would you continue exploring the cultural food?

And until Russell Brand takes a shower, he has no relevance to me whatsoever. Not funny, gross, just insufferable. He is the 21st century Tom Green, except Green just did nasty stuff, Brand actually looks nasty. (I understand completely that Green does WAY different humor than Brand, I'm not a moron)

Even extends to books

Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams and even Wodehouse just "weren't my thing"

What if you tried 20 Chinese dishes, and only enjoyed one? Would you continue exploring the cultural food?

And until Russell Brand takes a shower, he has no relevance to me whatsoever. Not funny, gross, just insufferable. He is the 21st century Tom Green, except Green just did nasty stuff, Brand actually looks nasty. (I understand completely that Green does WAY different humor than Brand, I'm not a moron)

If you watched 20 British shows, and only liked 1, your assertion that you disliked British Comedy would hold more weight.

I really like Louis CK. Hated the 2 Adam Sandler movies I watched......saw this show about a load of science geeks and a blonde, which I also didn't care for.

Anyone else agree American comedy is poor.

Are you being served? is one of my favorite shows along with Allo Allo

I like a variety of UK comedians. I am a fan of the panel show format (which I know has grown stale in the UK with so very many of them being shoved out because they're cheap to produce) and I do enjoy QI, Would I Lie to You, Nevermind the Buzzcocks(RIP), the Mitchell & Webb series (didn't like Peep Show, but I'm not a sitcom person), and some others.

Am I the only person who is not a fan of non-Simon Pegg British humor at all?

I thoroughly enjoyed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, but I found the American Office TV series to be exponentially better than the British version, and Gervais not as funny as everyone else.

I was reading the thread about An Idiot Abroad, the show that Gervais and Steven Merchant created with the Karl guy who travels around the world, its humorous at times, but did not knock my socks off.

The timing, the subject matter, the overall impression of humor is wildly different than it is here in the States. I understand humor is subjective, I love some stuff people find corny like Modern Family but also loved Louis CK's show, but HATE anything Natasha Leggwhatever does.

Do a lot of Americans like British humor, or do more view it like I do, occasionally humourous but mostly annoying? Ricky Gervais' laugh is enough to turn me off that whole island really.

Fawlty Towers is the greatest sitcom ever created. Check out one or two episodes from the first season to get a taste for the characters, then watch the second season. That's where all the magic happens.

For the most part I dislike most of the British humour I've seen, but then I tend to hate American sitcoms as well.

Other Brit humour I've seen that I could recommend: Little Britain, Wallace and Grommet, the new Shaun the Sheep movie is actually brilliant (and it's a kids cartoon), Monty Python, the last season of Blackadder.

I love the fact that British sitcoms only last for about 6 episodes for one or two seasons. I wish American sitcoms did that.

If you're a fan of Naked Gun / Airplane movies you'll want to check out a British show called A Touch of Cloth. They do the best imitation of that kind of humour that anyone has done.

Examples:

"I haven't laughed since my wife died."
"Why did you laugh when your wife died?"

"You're a lesbian?"
"Bi, Jack."
"No, don't go! It's none of my business."

But definitely try Fawlty Towers.

Last edited:
I love British comedy (I'm British tbf). Try out some of these shows:

Brasseye
The Day Today
Bottom
Blackadder
Darkplace
I'm Alan Partridge
League of Gentlemen

You forgot IT Crowd.

I don't love all of it, but stuff like Brasseye, The Office, The Day Today, I'm Alan Partridge, Big Train, Jam, are fucking class.

I've just remembered - has anyone seen Human Remains with Rob Brydon?! That was my all-time favourite DVD I owned, I'm gonna download that shizzle right NOW!

I'm not keen on Simon Pegg's work either. I don't mind him as a bloke, he comes across well in interviews but I don't like his work.

You should check out things like Psychoville and The League of Gentleman.

[YT]_E-7A5DiquI[/YT]

If you don't like Peep Show we can't be friends.

Back