British comedy

SingerAuto

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Am I the only person who is not a fan of non-Simon Pegg British humor at all?

I thoroughly enjoyed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, but I found the American Office TV series to be exponentially better than the British version, and Gervais not as funny as everyone else.

I was reading the thread about An Idiot Abroad, the show that Gervais and Steven Merchant created with the Karl guy who travels around the world, its humorous at times, but did not knock my socks off.

The timing, the subject matter, the overall impression of humor is wildly different than it is here in the States. I understand humor is subjective, I love some stuff people find corny like Modern Family but also loved Louis CK's show, but HATE anything Natasha Leggwhatever does.

Do a lot of Americans like British humor, or do more view it like I do, occasionally humourous but mostly annoying? Ricky Gervais' laugh is enough to turn me off that whole island really.

Northern sparrow.. or southern Sparrow?

I love British comedy (I'm British tbf). Try out some of these shows:

Brasseye
The Day Today
Bottom
Blackadder
Darkplace
I'm Alan Partridge
League of Gentlemen

Do you realise how much comedy the UK has produced?

What British Comedy have you seen? 1995-2005 was a really strong period.

I'm Alan Partridge
Black Books
League of Gentleman
Gart Marenghi's Dark Place
Spaced
Coupling
The Mighty Boosh
Brass Eye

What British Comedy have you seen? 1995-2005 was a really strong period.

I'm Alan Partridge
Black Books
League of Gentleman
Gart Marenghi's Dark Place
Spaced
Coupling
The Mighty Boosh
Brass Eye

I have not seen any of those films/TV shows you mentioned.

I am very unfamiliar with the genre, having only really seen The Office, a couple movies, and the TV show about the family, fuck I forget its name, Neighbors maybe?

Fair enough TS. Sometimes we forget the differences in our cultures, we expect things in the US to be identical and vice versa.

I also loved Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, but shows like Monty Python were pretty lame.

America has the best comedy.

Watched a lot of Mr. Bean as a kid.
Shaun of the Dead was hilarious.
Snatch is too.
And booyakasha...
118350401_ali-g_365244c.jpg

Um, no? I'm not a fan, why would I go to extensive lengths to view programs that I do not find funny?
Yet you make a thread named "British comedy". You name some things created by Gervais and Merchant and two movies and think that is actually representative of British comedy. It's not.

dude before you or anyone gives up on british comedy watch THE WHOLE EPISODE I am posting here. The Young Ones rules!!!
[YT]m0GHgdG7EEw[/YT]

Um, no? I'm not a fan, why would I go to extensive lengths to view programs that I do not find funny?

I am very unfamiliar with the genre, having only really seen The Office, a couple movies, and the TV show about the family, fuck I forget its name, Neighbors maybe?

You're basically saying you've barely watched any British Comedy....you've liked some of it. At the same time generalising you don't like British Comedy.

Yet you make a thread named "British comedy". You name some things created by Gervais and Merchant and two movies and think that is actually representative of British comedy. It's not.

Its arguably the most famous British comedian here in the States (Gervais) and his show idea that we stole and made better.

How the hell is a British comedian not indicative of British comedy? That makes no sense.

I'm not saying its bad you asshole, I'm saying I don't enjoy what I have seen, and I was seeing if most Americans felt the same way or if they enjoyed English humor.

FWIW, I did not hate the original Ali G show, but the American version was lame, Borat gave some cheap laughs but the other Baron Cohen movies were garbage.

I don't hate English dramas or serious work, Trainspotting and A Clockwork Orange are brilliant, I just don't find British humor, my exposure to it, funny.

You're basically saying you've barely watched any British Comedy....you've liked some of it. At the same time generalising you don't like British Comedy.

How is this so hard to grasp as a concept?

I saw a little British humor, found it to be more different than I expected as compared to American humor, and did not go about trying to find more of something I do not enjoy.

If you tried eating some Chinese food, but generally disliked all of it while only enjoying maybe one dish, would you continue to eat Chinese food?

You wanna check out spaced then mate, its the guys from Hot fuzz and Shaun of the dead.

Its arguably the most famous British comedian here in the States (Gervais) and his show idea that we stole and made better.

How the hell is a British comedian not indicative of British comedy? That makes no sense.

I'm not saying its bad you asshole, I'm saying I don't enjoy what I have seen, and I was seeing if most Americans felt the same way or if they enjoyed English humor.

FWIW, I did not hate the original Ali G show, but the American version was lame, Borat gave some cheap laughs but the other Baron Cohen movies were garbage.

I don't hate English dramas or serious work, Trainspotting and A Clockwork Orange are brilliant, I just don't find British humor, my exposure to it, funny.
British comedy covers a wide spectrum of humour and one comedian does not represent that whole spectrum. You thinking he does makes no sense. Why you think Gervais' show was better when it was adapted for a US audience is something I hope you can understand by yourself without any further explanation.

Anyway, if you think that British comedy sucks, that's fine, but it doesn't seem that you actually know what you're talking about especially because Zer named a couple of shows and you didn't actually know any of them.

MV5BMjkwNzYzMTE4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjE2MjYyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the goldest shows of all time. Definitely a top 5 sitcom for me.

Back