Bring back the nuances of MMA

I might be wrong, but here is what I see. Most people clamoring for head kicks and soccer stomps figure this would stop the domination of wrestlers, who they find to be boring. No doubt that some wrestlers would fail on TDs and get laid out, but I think most of the time, it would be wrestlers doing the kicking and stomping.

If you really want to do it right, you have to fully go back to the early rules. NO ROUNDS AND NO STANDUPS. This would favor wrestlers as well, but you have to do it to be truly neutral in setting the rules. In the end, there's not a way to get what some people seem to be wanting. Elite wrestlers will always be successful in combat, because they can control where the fight takes place.

we seem to be doing the same thing im just enjoying it more

No. You're trolling. I'm trying to discuss my post. Notice how I'm responding to others besides you??? Can you say the same?

I might be wrong, but here is what I see. Most people clamoring for head kicks and soccer stomps figure this would stop the domination of wrestlers, who they find to be boring. No doubt that some wrestlers would fail on TDs and get laid out, but I think most of the time, it would be wrestlers doing the kicking and stomping.

If you really want to do it right, you have to fully go back to the early rules. NO ROUNDS AND NO STANDUPS. This would favor wrestlers as well, but you have to do it to be truly neutral in setting the rules. In the end, there's not a way to get what some people seem to be wanting. Elite wrestlers will always be successful in combat, because they can control where the fight takes place.

I have nothing against wrestlers, or wrestlers dominating. i just want the fights in the cage to resemble and approximate real fights even if wrestlers continue to dominate. This isn't even a thread about rule changes, a topic I could go on about. It's just about the ramping up some of the strategy of the sport and allowing it to stay unique.

everyone else is agreeing with me why would i repost them

Go back and read then. Some of them have said they want head attacks back and are open to the tights and the ring. Go troll them for awhile.

of course i want head kicks stomps and knees who doesnt? your the only person you think it could POSSIBLY happen when we all know it cant happen

Finally. Someone changed your diaper. It may not happen in America maybe. And maybe not with the UFC anytime soon (they're still on the "if it ain't broke..." mentality). But what's stopping WSOF from trying it or Bellator once they make some financial strides with SPKIE?

I'd wish for something to encourage fighters to do their thing.

For example if a great kickboxer is amazing at getting back up after a TD, then they should be allowed to utilize their kickboxing, get back up after TD's, and not end up on the losing end of a 10-9 because they got taken down.

If a great guard player knows that a TD means they lose 10-9 if they can't get a submission (not easy to get, and say it happens less than half the time, so why concede a TD?), then of course they'll defend every TD and not get to fully use their skills.

I'm sure there are more examples, but the scoring makes many fighting styles suffer.
If you can't finish the fight standing (like Anderson Silva does) but you can really work your opponent, you'll lose any round that you get taken down.

If you have a great guard (Diaz bros, Miguel Torres, Maia, Nog, Werdum) and don't manage to get a finish from the bottom position, then you lose, 10-9.

I like the Abu Dhabi style rules, where there is a 5 minute period where no points are awarded and guys go for a finish. If they could do something like that in MMA, like a round of no scoring and just let guys fight, that would be amazing. It would be awesome to see great guard players actually pull guard or let the TD happen, or kickboxers open up on the feet because getting taken down won't cost them.
It'll never happen, but fans would love it.

it would cause a american shit storm trying to get mma banned once again trust me we all want stomps as badly as you do

You see? i just don't buy into your whole crystal ball routine as much as you do. I think MMA is way past the days of getting banned.

I'd wish for something to encourage fighters to do their thing.

For example if a great kickboxer is amazing at getting back up after a TD, then they should be allowed to utilize their kickboxing, get back up after TD's, and not end up on the losing end of a 10-9 because they got taken down.

If a great guard player knows that a TD means they lose 10-9 if they can't get a submission (not easy to get, and say it happens less than half the time, so why concede a TD?), then of course they'll defend every TD and not get to fully use their skills.

I'm sure there are more examples, but the scoring makes many fighting styles suffer.
If you can't finish the fight standing (like Anderson Silva does) but you can really work your opponent, you'll lose any round that you get taken down.

If you have a great guard (Diaz bros, Miguel Torres, Maia, Nog, Werdum) and don't manage to get a finish from the bottom position, then you lose, 10-9.

I like the Abu Dhabi style rules, where there is a 5 minute period where no points are awarded and guys go for a finish. If they could do something like that in MMA, like a round of no scoring and just let guys fight, that would be amazing.
It'll never happen, but fans would love it.

I agree. It's not really what I was addressing in this thread, but I've felt for a while now that top control (especially if you're in your opponents guard) should be considered a neutral position. Only damage, and secondarily, attempts at damage, should be scored. Pitter patter strikes from the bottom should outscored competely neutralized offense from top control.

im glad the rings are gone they only made grappling stupid to watch with all the resets/guys on bottom using them to there advantage

i could care less about aokis pants if he needs them to sub people thats to bad for him

and america will never be ok with kicks/knees to the head on the ground if the ufc trys that in another country i dont think nevada would be ok it

there really weren't that many resets.. i hear people repeating this over and over but it is clear that you didn't watch back then, you've just gone and seen a few fights..

the cage seems to be better for grappling in theory however the ring makes for better striking.. wall and stall really sucks and it happens often

How is the ring a nuance and the cage not?
The cage is more less unique to the sport. The ring is not.

Dude your thread is about the rules of the game not the nuances.

I think you brought a little bit too much of your own baggage into the debate, taking offense to things I didn't even say.

This does seem to be the gist of the responses to your OP. Sounds to me like you wanted to introduce a certain diversity between cards, which I'm all for.

Bring back soccer kicks and stomps, and get rid of elbows.

goddam, these kind of posts are so rare on sherdog

keep it up dude, sooner or later, some of these might come to fruition...

it's then the haters and naysayers will be sulking and acting like they knew it the whole time

gi vs no gi fights would be cool too.

Back