Briggs v. Vitali

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Mihow, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Mihow

Mihow Banned Banned

Thoughts on how the fight will go?

I say Briggs in 30 secs. round 1 :icon_chee

2. ghost208

ghost208 White Belt

Vitali by murder scene in seconds

3. consortium11

consortium11 Slip The Jab

Briggs will come out swinging in the first and if he could keep it up for more than 3 minutes actually be a live dog.

Unfortunately he's Briggs and, as such, will gas to the extent that Shane Carwin laughs at him. Expect 7 more rounds of Vitali landing anything he wants on something resembling an even less mobile heavybag.

If he makes it to the 12th Briggs will have finally caught his breath and will throw 3 more punches before fading away.

Post-fight Vitali calls out Haye and/or retires while Briggs complements Vitali and then goes on about how because he was the HW Champ and he had asthma he's the greatest of all time, noting how Ali and Louis never had to battle a challenge like that.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  4. TexasDrugAddict**

TexasDrugAddict** Silver Belt

Briggs will gass by the 4th rd and gets knockout in the 5th but for the first 3 rds anything can happen.

5. UFCrulesdude

UFCrulesdude Yellow Belt

Vitali by stoppage in the later rounds.

6. Teflon

Teflon Green Belt

Briggs appears to be in decent shape for this fight and has always had a sturdy chin, but his style plays right into Klitschko's hands.

He's going to get jabbed and kept on the outside until Vitali finds a home for the right hand, at which point a spent Briggs will be a lamb for the slaughter.

He'd at least have a puncher's chance against Wlad, however slim.

Just another underwhelming addition to Vitali's sub-par resume.

7. 2quik82

2quik82 Blue Belt

a thread made about this fight.shocking

8. Hagler

Hagler Man of wealth and taste

I can't think of a worse matchup for Briggs in recent HW history. Vitali, TKO, mid rounds, after Briggs has done his best to take him out in the first 3 to 4 rounds.

9. Todd498

Todd498 Purple Belt

This! I really don't see Briggs....a guy who throws like 8-10 punches a round being able to keep Vitali off of him. Vitali throws an insane amount of punches a round and also has a great chin in case Briggs does make contact. I see Vitali getting Briggs out of there by the 6th round.

And was it just me....or did Shannon seem a little more friendly than he usually is during the press conference? LOL

10. Swedish Steel

Swedish Steel Yellow Belt

Could someone please tell me why Briggs is getting a shot at a belt yet again? What has he done lately to justify a high ranking and a shot at the title?

If he brings his asthma up again or if he compares himself to an actual champ a couple of things will happen in my living room if I see it happening. The TV, or at least the remote, will be broken shortly after, I will throw up in my lap and quit watching boxing alltogether or I will drop dead with a busted vein in my forehead.

11. FreshPrince

FreshPrince Banned Banned

12. ThirdPartyView

ThirdPartyView Keeping Jack Dempsey from ducking

Basically, Vitali offered Haye and Valuev the fight, was turned down and figured Briggs was the next notable guy he could get together - really, Briggs isn't too far off in that regard given that pretty much any other notable guy in the division has already fought (and lost) to one (or both) of the Klitschko brothers.

13. King Ghidorah

King Ghidorah Brown Belt

i think Briggs gives Vitali some trouble early. Shannon has size and height on him and has decent skill. After about the 4th though I Vitali will take over and probably take Shannon out by the 7th or 8th.

14. StillWill**

StillWill** Banned Banned

This fight summarizes everything thats wrong with the HW divison today.

A Klitschko vs a guy Lennox brutally knocked out in the 90's. I mean really...

15. ThirdPartyView

ThirdPartyView Keeping Jack Dempsey from ducking

Can't the same thing be said for Lewis fighting Holyfield 2x and Tyson? Really, this is what happens when you're a dominant enough fighter that you can clear out a division and have to take on the 'lesser' or 'old timer' guys. Lots of HW division eras had old timers and/or undeserving guys getting title shots (Patterson's era, mid 60s Ali era, etc.) because of a lack of depth, etc.

16. StillWill**

StillWill** Banned Banned

No I understand I just wish there were more contenders.. I mean does anyone seriously expect Briggs to win?

17. Anabola

Anabola Green Belt

The great black hope lol, maybe he can pull it off.

18. dg43088

dg43088 Guest

I wish I could be optimistic about this fight but vitali will smash him by the end of the 8th round. Briggs hasn't shown he's going to be able to take Vitali out of his game, hell Briggs hasn't shown he's going to bother him for much more then a round.

19. jasoncyclops**

jasoncyclops** Red Belt

Vitali by "eat my jabs until u gave up "

20. amhlilhaus

amhlilhaus Black Belt

it doesn't matter what he's done to deserve the shot, which is nothing. he provides a name that will attract some attention (former 'champ') and provide a sliver of interest (can briggs land a bomb?) while in reality 99 out of 100 times vitali cruises and stops him late.

which is why the klitschkos may never be taken seriously as atg's. atg's mop the floor with the competition they face, especially if they're powerpunchers which both klitschkos can. this jab and be safe mentality won't be looked on too kindly by some historians, and watching the fights a hundred years from now will be a good insomnia remedy.