Briedis would run through HW as well

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by ExitLUPin, Sep 26, 2021.

1. ExitLUPin K

By far Usyks toughest fight and he murked Charr worse than Povetkin or Vitali did. Usyk has the most impressive CW resume ever and Briedis was the best he fought.

Marco Huck got shafted in an all-time robbery to prime Pov too before he fought @ CW and was outclassed by the top dogs in

Cruiser is basically skilled, fit and complete fatweights that. Okolie will prolly move up and be top 5 easily when he does too

heavyarms21 likes this.
  2. Badr Hari Brown Belt

I've talked about Briedis years ago. Guy is an ATG himself. The problem is he started boxing late and is past his prime and too good at CW to think about a run at HW. Hell I don't think he is interested in the sport at all anymore.

Mr2urbo and ExitLUPin like this.
  3. ExitLUPin K

True. Maybe Hunter will have a run. Gassiev can too he's one of the best CWs of all-time like Briedis. Many fighters and coaches have reported him sparking top 10 HWs in sparring. Fighters like Arreola said he was the hardest hitter they've ever got in the ring with too. We see even what Fatboy Ruiz was like against a shot Areola

Badr Hari likes this.
  4. Badr Hari Brown Belt

Hunter is skilled and Gassiev hits like a truck. They'll have success with second tier HWs no doubt, but I don't see them reaching all the way to the top. They lack the motivation as well. It's rare to find a hungry athlete like Usyk.

5. JayE Silver Belt

Briedis is pretty inconsistent, but yeah, he'd do well at HW. He's a bit smaller than Usyk and doesn't have the same physical gifts that usyk does, which would make things harder.

6. borntoloseNOT Brown Belt

Why hasn't Hunter run through HWT? He gave Usyk the best fight imo, not Breidis. But that's just my opinion.

7. Jonny Ninja Red Belt

well he turned down a fight with hrgovic this year, due to money, apparently? If these guys aren’t prepared to take risks and beat fighters around them, then imo they don’t deserve to be moving up the ranks. HW is already full of fighters happy to beat up cans and wait for their shots

Goatenstein and borntoloseNOT like this.
  8. the Kowboy I'll make you Famous Staff Member Senior Moderator

upload_2021-9-26_17-39-38.png

JSN likes this.
  9. Queen B Gold Belt

Breidis iisnt elusive like Usyk. A big guy is gonna stop him in his tracks

Rob-G and Jonny Ninja like this.
  10. borntoloseNOT Brown Belt

You aren't wrong

11. Minowafanatic Red Belt

Tbh I think that's understandable, outside of internet forums Hrgovic doesn't have a name amongst the English-speaking boxing audience, whereas Michael Hunter is fairly well known to British and American audiences. High risk low reward

12. Jonny Ninja Red Belt

If these guys want their shot then they have to take some risks instead of keeping their 0 by beating on b and c level HWs. this was for the ibf mandatory iirc, so there definitely is a reward for the winner (at some point some the line). He was very vocal about dillian Whyte but then turns down hrgovic due to being ‘lowballed’. As a fan I don’t respect that at all. He ducked him as far as I’m concerned

Badr Hari likes this.
  13. Rob-G Purple Belt

You know when Yuniel Dorticos first came to America, I used to watch him train, and this man was horrifying. He couldn’t even get heavyweights to spar with him. And watching him hit the heavybag, I know I was dillusioned lol but it felt like watching Prime George Foreman hit the heavybag. And on local shows, the way Dorticos would just mop the floor with his opponents. For a while, it used to be a big deal if someone could even get outta the first round with him lol. . . Where am I going with this? Well, it just really tells me something about both Briedis AND Gassiev with the way they are able to dominate Dorticos. I feel like the Cruiserweight Division in general was criminally underrated while Usyk was in it. Probably the most stacked it’s ever been. Usyk’s win resume in my opinion is pretty darn shocking

Badr Hari and Buddy Revell like this.
  14. Buddy Revell Amazon Prime Unboxing Champion Banned

Yeah Dorticos was def the goods. He always reminded me, at least physically, of a Cruiserweight version of Félix Trinidad.

A boxer puncher who was tall for the division but not “big.” Very thin boned but, like Trinidad (or Anderson Silve in MMA) could still generate huge power.

Guys like that don’t tend to do well going up in weight because their frames end up failing them. It happened to all three, Silva most spectacularly. Size matters.

But about Briedis. I like him as a fighter. He’s an older guy so I don’t know how he’d do but id love to see him give HW a go if he’s still got something left in the tank.

He’s a tough workhorse with really odd dimensions (long arms) and sneaky good power. I think his toughness and work rate would give a lot of the top 10-12 HWs fits.

As we’ve seen with Joshua (Ruiz, Usyk) — Fury (Cunningham) — Whyte (Povetkin) and even Vitali (Chris Byrd)— a talented little man is still perfectly capable of upsetting a top super heavyweight

I’d give him a faire shot at beating the likes of Parker, Joshua, and Martin (to name a few) right now

Badr Hari and Rob-G like this.