Brian Shaw - world's strong man + 6 months training

Good luck competing under USADA...

Exactly. You're comparing the "apple" of a roided-out freak powerlifter vs the "orange" non roided out fighter. Ubereem was effectively a skilled strongman competitor.

Tyron Woodley or Yoel Romero would fuck him up. Strongmen has the slowest twitch fibre. Fast twitch fibre blacksplosive would murder Brian Shaw. I laugh at ppl thinking strongmen can compete. NFL players have a better chance because they are fast twitch blacksplosive.

"Blacksplosive" is so overrated. They gas even faster lol.

Good for about 3mins and then done.

Pudzianowski was known for his cardio during his strongman days.......yes. what that means for the cardio of other powerlfiters is I think pretty clear. Pudzianowski also wasn't slimmed down to make 265 for all fights he fought some fights at freakweight I think. He slimmed down voluntarily for many fights because he probably lacked cardio before (even more than he did when he was lighter)

BUT he was still only 6 ft 1 and always lighter than Shaw and Björnsson, yes a big strength for him in Strongman was stamina and he would have better stamina and speed than Shaw and Björnsson BUT we don't know what that extra size and height would do for them in an openweight. I aint saying they would be great, just none of us would know and using Mariusz as an example since he is quite a bit smaller than them is silly.

This the dude?

220px-Brian_Shaw_strongman.JPG

Looks like a dork. Would murk him in the first.

Precision beats power.

Right when they could make conor money for their freakshow fightm. Answer = they can't.

Not sure what your point is...nobody else is making that either.
Most HW in the world, say even those ranked 10-30, are making nothing.

Their oppositional muscles also tighten up so their striking is very ineffective, regardless of technique.

@thatKid - curious what your honest opinion and experience is with all that

Any other guys that actually train at a high level, too.

good ppost, I mostly agree, wit 1 caveat-

occasionally someone with great mass ALSO is very flexible- a la Mark Kerr or Woodley.

this is equally important to cardio for oppositional muscles.

This is Hafpor getting his fucking ass handed tohim in arm wrestling by Devon Laratt. All that power lifting doesnt mean shit when technique is involved. arm wrestling isnt jits I get it,but it takes technique much like jits does.

How would Brian Shaw do in the UFC with 6 months of training? Future champ?

There is no way anyone could submit him. He could just power out of everything. You couldn't wrestle him and win. With a basic knowledge of applying submissions he could apply them through brute force.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Shaw_(strongman)
Mariusz Pudzianowski already tried and failed to make it big in the world of MMA.

How would Brian Shaw do in the UFC with 6 months of training? Future champ?

There is no way anyone could submit him. He could just power out of everything. You couldn't wrestle him and win. With a basic knowledge of applying submissions he could apply them through brute force.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Shaw_(strongman)

He would likely get leg kicked for 2 mins, until he gassed and just get tore up from the outside.

When someone has trained for a decade or more on how to strike from the outside, vs a guy that has 6 months of training and is just bigger, the big newb would get slaughtered.

There is a good chance that me at 200 pounds and not in great shape could beat this guy, just by keeping my distance, making him move, tiring him out and kicking his legs anytime he comes into range.

There is a reason these guys got slaughtered in Pride. Once you reach a certain size/weight, it becomes detrimental. I bet if you asked him, he would likely tell you that he would get beat pretty badly.

good ppost, I mostly agree, wit 1 caveat-

occasionally someone with great mass ALSO is very flexible- a la Mark Kerr or Woodley.

this is equally important to cardio for oppositional muscles.
Nice addition! Thanks!

This is Hafpor getting his fucking ass handed tohim in arm wrestling by Devon Laratt. All that power lifting doesnt mean shit when technique is involved. arm wrestling isnt jits I get it,but it takes technique much like jits does.

Great correlation...

Tangent: that exact video made me look up Laratt - maybe a year ago. Seems like one of the coolest fuckers ever!!!

He can't make HW... at openweight he would probably not be very mobile and gas too fast. There's a reason boxing HW which is unlimited isn't dominated by 400 lb guys.

Diminishing returns. Although I will say that in MMA larger people are better off than in boxing since grappling benefits from gravity

BUT he was still only 6 ft 1 and always lighter than Shaw and Björnsson, yes a big strength for him in Strongman was stamina and he would have better stamina and speed than Shaw and Björnsson BUT we don't know what that extra size and height would do for them in an openweight. I aint saying they would be great, just none of us would know and using Mariusz as an example since he is quite a bit smaller than them is silly.
Hell, maybe you're right. I'd like to see it!

"There is no way anyone could submit him. He could just power out of everything."

do you even know how submissions work?

"There is no way anyone could submit him. He could just power out of everything."

do you even know how submissions work?

no.

please explain why my 8 year old son cant properly tap me to a can opener or a keylock...

i thought i was stronger than him, but im sure you have a better reason.

Back