Media Brian Ortega Speaks: Breaks down his transformation to "T-City 2.0"

Gio

Wendy Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
And in 2 weeks he already has his hair back, nice.

Last edited:
Too many people wrote him off after the Max loss. I think he could beat Volk legit or at least make it a very good fight.
Do you think he could make a second Holloway fight more competitive?

Too many people wrote him off after the Max loss. I think he could beat Volk legit or at least make it a very good fight.
I think most were concerned about the long layoff moreso than they jumped ship after he lost to Max.

As a fan I wondered what he'd look like and fortunately, he fought a sensational fight

Do you think he could make a second Holloway fight more competitive?

I can't say i've rewatched their first one back, from memory it seemed like one of those fights where Max just had his number and his style was perfect for that fight. I remember wondering at the time what Ortega's gameplan was for that fight.

I think he can beat almost anyone on any given night.

What he lacks in world-class striking or wrestling, he makes up for in his variety of attacks which come at you without hesitation since he's not remotely afraid of being taken down. This means that everyone is a little wary of shooting in, standing wise, they're still affected since they don't know what the hell he wants, to land an elbow, knee, haymaker, blitz d'arce or guillotine.

Overrated fighter.
Volk and Holloway both will humiliate him.
There is no Ortega 2.0. It's a hype.
He won against Zombie who didn't throw punches but was thinking 10 second for every punch.
If the UFC will put him against Volk his hype will be forever gone.

Still too slow I think for someone like Max or Volk, but I like the improvements. Solid, solid fighter.

In all honesty I don't think I've ever been in awe of a fighter until Ortega

he's not getting enough credit for that display He hit the turbo button on evolving

I can't say i've rewatched their first one back, from memory it seemed like one of those fights where Max just had his number and his style was perfect for that fight. I remember wondering at the time what Ortega's gameplan was for that fight.

Holloway simply was classes above Ortega, Ortega has always been wank technically and defensively in his striking but has a lot of sheer talent. Which allows him to pull wins out of his ass. Ortega had no path to victory against Holloway cause he is no match to Holloway in striking and is never going to beat Holloway in a grappling battle.

Even though Ortega clearly has tighten up his striking a lot I still do not think he will beat Volk. He beat KZ by keeping the fight long and mixing up grappling threats to his striking. In another words by using Volk's gameplan and it is unlikely he will be able to beat Volk in his own game.

Holloway simply was classes above Ortega, Ortega has always been wank technically and defensively in his striking but has a lot of sheer talent. Which allows him to pull wins out of his ass. Ortega had no path to victory against Holloway cause he is no match to Holloway in striking and is never going to beat Holloway in a grappling battle.

Even though Ortega clearly has tighten up his striking a lot I still do not think he will beat Volk. He beat KZ by keeping the fight long and mixing up grappling threats to his striking. In another words by using Volk's gameplan and it is unlikely he will be able to beat Volk in his own game.

Conor was able to outgrapple Max. Ortega 100% could have if he implemented it more into his gameplan.

I think most were concerned about the long layoff moreso than they jumped ship after he lost to Max.

As a fan I wondered what he'd look like and fortunately, he fought a sensational fight
Recency bias

Thats why theres a saying that you're only as good as your last fight

I chose Brian on the spot as soon as the fight started because although KZ has just better fundamental striking, Ortega is much better at landing fight ending strikes and the skill gap of KZ being just better at the level 1-5 striking isnt enough to offset Ortega being better at fight ending strikes or strikes that really do damage

In all honesty I don't think I've ever been in awe of a fighter until Ortega

he's not getting enough credit for that display He hit the turbo button on evolving

I want him to lose because he reps GA, but yeah, he's damn good.

Would love to see him fight Yair.

Back