Brian Foster unable to get licensed in New Jersey; out of PFL playoffs

Weird and unjust how they struck Foster from the line-up. I wonder why he can't get a license. Maybe something to do with his old brain issues (which was one bureaucratic clusterfuck).

Rashid, likewise, only fought one time yet he's still in the play-offs.

Can't they reschedule his fight for another card?

This is the last card before the tournament begins.

Last edited:
Weird and unjust how they struck Foster from the line-up. I wonder why he can't get a license. Maybe something to do with his old brain issues (which was one byrocratic clusterfuck).

Like you hinted at, Foster was probably hit with some sort of suspension that made him ineligible for October as well. If not it makes no sense.

Like you hinted at, Foster was probably hit with some sort of suspension that made him ineligible for October as well. If not it makes no sense.

True. But they announced the reason for Ramsey's departure (medical clerence), but not Foster's. That's a tad suspicious

True. But they announced the reason for Ramsey's departure (medical clerence), but not Foster's. That's a tad suspicious
Well when Foster was originally pulled off PFL 5 (vs. Natan Schulte), a PFL official told MMAjunkie that the promotion could not comment on the reason for his removal. Not sure why though. Foster's manager referred to it as an "illness".

Last edited:
Can't they reschedule his fight for another card?
No, this Thursday's card marks the end of the regular season. Foster and Nijem were already suppouse to fight on PFL 5 but couldn't make it, and so this PFL 7 event was their last opportunity to get a second fight.

Go Johnny Cage.

latest

Weird and unjust how they struck Foster from the line-up. I wonder why he can't get a license. Maybe something to do with his old brain issues (which was one bureaucratic clusterfuck).

He also busted a testicle around the same time. I have no idea what NYSAC is ever doing. I hope they're just being idiots, and he's healthy enough to get licensed by a responsible, intelligent AC, but who knows.
Nijem is still medically suspended from Foster KOing him at PFL 2, while Foster seems to have failed a medical. They're separate things. They're likely barred by medical privacy laws from saying how Foster failed, while Nijem's previous suspension is public knowledge.

edit: misread that it's in NJ rather than NY. It's probably a sane reason for not letting him fight. NJ isn't new/bad at this.

Circumstances like this show how unstable the PFL format is in practice.

Circumstances like this show how unstable the PFL format is in practice.
Does it? Seems as simple as 1 out of 48 fighters being removed from playoffs, and PFL having a backup fight in place so that we'll still have 6 complete brackets come October.

Last edited:

Seems legit Jersey has done this a bunch for irregularities in brain scans Thiago Alves Jeff Monson etc

This could be similar to former Baylor basketball player Isaiah Austin. He has a heart condition that seemed to end his playing days. Fast forward a couple of years to present day and his cardiologist cleared him for activities and now he's playing in China. According to the NBA he will never be cleared to play in the league regardless of what his doctor or any doctor says.
Maybe NJ is like the NBA in this instance, he may be permanently disqualified from competing in the state due to his previous brain issues regardless of who has cleared him.

Jason High has a third time to make a good impression. I hope he doesn't blow it. It sucks for Brian Foster and Ramsey Nijem, two fold. Not being able to earn a fight paycheck to help support themselves and their families and to not be able to go on into the playoffs and earn some more pay days.

Foster had a brain hematoma while fighting for the Ufc. Many athletic commissions will never clear you again if you've suffered one.

Foster had a brain hematoma while fighting for the Ufc. Many athletic commissions will never clear you again if you've suffered one.
It also gave him problems when Bjorn signed him for a Bellator tourney back in the day. That’s why he ended up in WSOF.

Jason High has a third time to make a good impression. I hope he doesn't blow it. It sucks for Brian Foster and Ramsey Nijem, two fold. Not being able to earn a fight paycheck to help support themselves and their families and to not be able to go on into the playoffs and earn some more pay days.

to be fair, he got screwed in the fight vs Efrain.

Back