International Brexit Discussion v9: The Last Extension

@Arkain2K

Your thread title is wrong. You should at least put the 'compromise proposal' in quotation marks.

EU parliament: Boris Johnson Brexit plan not remotely acceptable
Daniel Boffey in Brussels | Thu 3 Oct 2019​

5568.jpg

The European parliament has told Boris Johnson that his proposals for the Irish border do not “even remotely” amount to an acceptable deal for the EU, in comments echoed by Ireland’s prime minister.

The committee of MEPs representing the parliament’s views on Brexit said the prime minister’s proposals could not form the basis for an agreement, describing them as a “last-minute” effort. The European parliament will have a veto on any withdrawal agreement.

“Safeguarding peace and stability on the island of Ireland, protection of citizens and EU’s legal order has to be the main focus of any deal,” it said in a statement. “The UK proposals do not match even remotely what was agreed as a sufficient compromise in the backstop.”

Ireland’s prime minister, Leo Varadkar, also accused Johnson of contradicting his own proposals during an appearance by the British prime minister in the Commons, in which he sought to convince MPs there would be no return of a hard Irish border.

Speaking shortly after Johnson addressed the Commons, Varadkar highlighted a discrepancy between Johnson’s words and the legal text tabled by the UK government.

“I am reassured by what Prime Minister Johnson said today: that he is not proposing that there should be any new physical infrastructure on the island of Ireland linked to customs or customs checks,” Varadkar said.

“But that is actually in contradiction to the papers presented by the UK government yesterday. So I think working with the EU taskforce in part, [Michel] Barnier’s taskforce, and also talking with the UK government we will have to tease out the detail of what those proposals mean.”

In a barbed comment, Varadkar further suggested the British public had changed its mind on Brexit but was being prevented from having its voice heard. “All the polls since Mr Johnson became PM suggest that’s what the British people actually want, but their political system is not able to give them that choice,” he said.

Guy Verhofstadt, the former prime minister of Belgium who coordinates the European parliament’s Brexit steering group, said it was “nearly impossible” to see how a deal could be secured on the basis of the proposals.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politic...s-johnson-brexit-plan-not-remotely-acceptable

“I am reassured by what Prime Minister Johnson said today: that he is not proposing that there should be any new physical infrastructure on the island of Ireland linked to customs or customs checks,” Varadkar said.

“But that is actually in contradiction to the papers presented by the UK government yesterday.

Ouch.

In a barbed comment, Varadkar further suggested the British public had changed its mind on Brexit but was being prevented from having its voice heard.

The elephant in the room

Yeah, if people didnt need reminding. Politicians, are snakes.

How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving...

On the other hand, Michel Barnier and the EU27 have been extremely consistent over the past three years.

On the other hand, Michel Barnier and the EU27 have been extremely consistent over the past three years.
Thats not entirely accurate, they released a statement back when May was trying to seal a deal stating they wouldn't change a single piece of text in regards to the backstop, not even a comma.

All politicians are the same mate.
Im glad i changed my mind and want to stay. Imagine how angry hardcore leavers feel right now.

Last edited:
Dead in a ditch no more?

Yeah politicians are famous for controversial statements that turn out bullshit.

I'll say one thing, his hands are kind of tied. Either way, I still expect him to die in a ditch :)

Yeah politicians are famous for controversial statements that turn out bullshit.

I'll say one thing, his hands are kind of tied. Either way, I still expect him to die in a ditch :)

Johnson is a new low really. The guy lies as a reflex, and as far as I can tell has no beliefs or convictions.

Not that the army of nuthuggers will call him out on it. He'll be all that's good for a year or 2 then they'll all turn on him.

Dead in a ditch no more?

We shall see when the time comes. How he will try to maneuver.

It’s obvious the power elites don’t want brexit, and have done everything to resist democracy and the will of the people.

I hope he doesn’t send the letter and goes into hiding or something. See what happens then. As by law they leave the EU on the 31st.

It’s obvious the power elites don’t want brexit, and have done everything to resist democracy and the will of the people.

The power elites?

So Boris Johnson doesn't want Brexit?

If you care about the will of the people, you surely are not opposed to a second r referendum. Or do you care more about the will of the 2016 population than of the 2019 one?

The power elites?

If you care about the will of the people, you surely are not opposed to a second r referendum. Or do you care more about the will of the 2016 population than of the 2019 one?

The British people should get their will and THEN we will see how good or bad this decision really was. Jesus, give the independent UK at least the time of one clean legislative period. The pro EU side has to accept this democratic decision, no matter how hard it is or how harmful it will be for the country.

In my opinion a 2nd referendum, without executing the 1st one, is very hard to justify. Many people would feel betrayed, because it feels like you try to "overwrite" their democratic vote. Furthermore math is a bitch. Lets assume we will get a 1-1 result and then what? Will you be in favor of a 3rd referendum?

True justice is only possible if the 1st referendum will be executed and this will all its consequences.

The power elites?

Promises were made. Promises will be kept.

Back