International Brexit Discussion v9: The Last Extension

The problems in 'Yellow hammer' aren't anything anyone with half a brain didn't already anticipate what is striking is how perfunctory the document its self is and the lack of ideas within it to ameliorate the issues it outlines .

John Bercow: I’ll stop Boris Johnson breaking the law on Brexit

Commons Speaker issues direct challenge to ministers threatening to ignore legislation

John Bercow has threatened Boris Johnson that he will be prepared to rip up the parliamentary rulebook to stop any illegal attempt by the prime minister to take the UK out of the EU without a deal on 31 October.

In a direct warning to No 10, the Speaker of the House of Commons said he is prepared to allow “additional procedural creativity” if necessary to allow parliament to block Johnson from ignoring the law.

“If we come close to [Johnson ignoring the law], I would imagine parliament would want to cut off that possibility … Neither the limitations of the existing rulebook or ticking of the clock will stop it doing so,” he said, delivering the annual Bingham lecture in London. “If I have been remotely ambiguous so far, let me make myself crystal clear. The only form of Brexit that we have, whenever that might be, will be a Brexit that the House of Commons has explicitly endorsed.”

He also proposed a written constitution to stop “executive malpractice or fiat”, which could potentially have avoided the constitutional crisis that the UK has found itself in over Brexit.

Bercow’s dramatic intervention will be one of his last as Speaker, as he has announced that he will stand down at the end of October just two weeks after parliament is due to return from its current state of suspension.

All: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/12/bercow-warns-pm-not-to-defy-law-on-no-deal-brexit

In a direct warning to No 10, the Speaker of the House of Commons said he is prepared to allow “additional procedural creativity” if necessary to allow parliament to block Johnson from ignoring the law.

Maybe a good old fashioned Bill of Attainder is in order , like the one Parliament used to have the Kings favourite the Earl of Strafford executed before the Wars of the three Kingdoms .

Northern Irish Court Ruled No-Deal Brexit Wouldn't Violate the Good Friday peace accord
By Jonathan Browning, 9/12/2019​

-1x-1.jpg

A Northern Irish court ruled that a no-deal Brexit wouldn’t violate the Good Friday peace accord, handing Prime Minister Boris Johnson a legal victory in one of a string of cases related to his plans to leave the European Union.

Judge Bernard McCloskey in Belfast Thursday said the debate over the peace accord is a purely political matter in a ruling that was immediately taken up by an appellate court.

The opinion is a boost for Johnson after a court a few hundred miles away in Edinburgh on Wednesday ruled that the prime minister’s plan to suspend Parliament in the run up to the Oct. 31 Brexit deadline was an unlawful abuse of power. A few days earlier, a court in London ruled, like McCloskey, that the issue was not for the courts.

“I consider the characterization of the subject matter of these proceedings as inherently and unmistakably political to be beyond plausible dispute,” McCloskey said.

Raymond McCord, whose son was killed in the political violence that dogged Northern Ireland for decades, had brought the Belfast case, arguing that leaving the EU without a deal would breach the peace deal known as the Good Friday Agreement. EU membership facilitated an open border on the island of Ireland and a no-deal exit could put that at risk.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...n-wins-belfast-court-ruling-on-no-deal-brexit

Last edited:
Yep, it's the only real solution. It won't stop the other parts of the Brexit disaster, but at least it will resolve the 'potentially triggering a civil war' part of it. I just can't see enough hard line Brexiters voting for it though. I can definitely see Johnson pushing for it though, he is a man of zero principles and would sell out the no deal Brexiters and the ERG gladly if he thought it would suit him politically.
hard line brexiteers dont give a single flying fuck about N ireland, the only holdup is caused by those 19th century clowns the DUP, and the fact the tories need their support in parliament, now his majority is blown away, boris clings onto them like a drowning man. nobody else wants anything to do with those no surrender! loonies

hard line brexiteers dont give a single flying fuck about N ireland, the only holdup is caused by those 19th century clowns the DUP, and the fact the tories need their support in parliament, now his majority is blown away, boris clings onto them like a drowning man. nobody else wants anything to do with those no surrender! loonies
I agree the brexiters couldn't care less about NI - by 'it' I meant the withdrawl agreement, with or without a solution to the Irish border problem. Sorry, it was written quite badly, so I can see how you thought I was saying that.

Scots shoulda left when they had the chance.

Insert William Wallace freedom speech here.

I hope he doesnt ask for the extension.
That'd be the maximum challenge to rule of law essentially.

I hope there is a solution before it comes to that.

I hope he doesnt ask for the extension.

Get your popcorn ready, looks like he's actually keeping his word:

Johnson Set to Defy Ban on No-Deal Brexit and Fight On in Court
By Tim Ross | September 14, 2019

1000x-1.jpg

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is set to defy a new law designed to stop him forcing the U.K. out of the European Union with no deal next month, and is braced for a fight to settle Brexit in the British courts.

According to a senior official in the U.K. government, Johnson has resolved on a hard-line plan as he prepares for his first face-to-face negotiations with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker on Monday.

The premier is vowing to do everything he can to secure a divorce deal with the EU and ratify it in Parliament before the deadline for leaving expires on Oct. 31. But he will tell Juncker that there is just one month left to finalize that agreement and he won’t ask for a delay if the negotiations are fruitless. Johnson will say he’ll reject any extension to the deadline if one is offered by the EU’s other 27 leaders at a summit next month.

Instead, Johnson will ignore a new British law requiring him to ask the EU for Brexit to be postponed and prepare to fight his opponents -- including opposition Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn -- in court.

“Don’t be fooled by Corbyn and the ringleaders -- on the one hand they say I don’t want a deal, on the other they want to force me to extend,” Johnson said in a statement. “Both are wrong. I am straining to get a deal, but I will also end the uncertainty and take us out on the 31 October.”

In an interview with the Mail on Sunday, Johnson said the U.K. will break out of its “manacles” like the comic-book character the Incredible Hulk.

The prime minister’s hardened stance dramatically raises the stakes in the U.K.’s political and constitutional crisis over its tortured exit from the EU. After voting to leave the trading bloc in 2016, the country is no closer to completing the divorce in a way that avoids the chaos of a sudden rupture without an agreement to soften the blow.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...y-ban-on-no-deal-brexit-and-fight-on-in-court

Get your popcorn ready, looks like he's actually keeping his word:

Johnson Set to Defy Ban on No-Deal Brexit and Fight On in Court
By Tim Ross | September 14, 2019

1000x-1.jpg

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is set to defy a new law designed to stop him forcing the U.K. out of the European Union with no deal next month, and is braced for a fight to settle Brexit in the British courts.

According to a senior official in the U.K. government, Johnson has resolved on a hard-line plan as he prepares for his first face-to-face negotiations with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker on Monday.

The premier is vowing to do everything he can to secure a divorce deal with the EU and ratify it in Parliament before the deadline for leaving expires on Oct. 31. But he will tell Juncker that there is just one month left to finalize that agreement and he won’t ask for a delay if the negotiations are fruitless. Johnson will say he’ll reject any extension to the deadline if one is offered by the EU’s other 27 leaders at a summit next month.

Instead, Johnson will ignore a new British law requiring him to ask the EU for Brexit to be postponed and prepare to fight his opponents -- including opposition Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn -- in court.

“Don’t be fooled by Corbyn and the ringleaders -- on the one hand they say I don’t want a deal, on the other they want to force me to extend,” Johnson said in a statement. “Both are wrong. I am straining to get a deal, but I will also end the uncertainty and take us out on the 31 October.”

In an interview with the Mail on Sunday, Johnson said the U.K. will break out of its “manacles” like the comic-book character the Incredible Hulk.

The prime minister’s hardened stance dramatically raises the stakes in the U.K.’s political and constitutional crisis over its tortured exit from the EU. After voting to leave the trading bloc in 2016, the country is no closer to completing the divorce in a way that avoids the chaos of a sudden rupture without an agreement to soften the blow.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...y-ban-on-no-deal-brexit-and-fight-on-in-court

Nice. That will be the end of the rule of law in UK.

Back