International Brexit Discussions v11: U.K and Switzerland sign post-Brexit financial services deal

Good if true, but would be even better if people start WORKING together for the best.

From the outside looking in at all the self-sabotaging, it's extremely weird how some Brits talks as if they WANTS their country to fail, just because things didn't go their way.

I dont think anyone wants the country to fail its just the other half just arent willing to swallow the vaugue b.s promises of brexit being an easy short process leading to a better future .....would be awesome if it all comes true but it wont

I dont think anyone wants the country to fail its just the other half just arent willing to swallow the vaugue b.s promises of brexit being an easy short process leading to a better future .....would be awesome if it all comes true but it wont

They'll get there just like the left in America has. Eventually, when nothing they predict comes to pass, they stop waiting for it to happen and start hoping for it to happen. And then one day they wake up and realise they hate their country and start trying to make it happen.

People have already been asked you dope
Therein lies the problem
Most democrstic refferendums have requirements like supermajorities etc to ensure they garner losers consent ...this one didnt
If there was a set mechanism in place requiring a large majority or an automatic trigger to decide if eu membership was or wasnt the will of the people every say 5 years or so itd be fine

The result is a bitter divide that a few quotes about 'blitz spirit' wont heal

I dont think anyone wants the country to fail

Mark my word: when the U.K start negotiating new Free Trade Agreements with other countries and economic blocks, there will be plenty of British politicians and media outlets trying to undermine their own government.

Mark my word: when the U.K start negotiating new Free Trade Agreements with other countries and economic blocks, there will be plenty of British politicians and media outlets trying to undermine their own government.
Thaats not necessarily wanting the uk to fail esp if the deals shit

<{1-1}>

Was a slim majority and now its a minority ( set to get smaller with each harsh winter)

I mean they voted to get out why would they participate in polls afterwards? Seems silly.

Undoubtedly, politicians will hurt themselves just to be the savior later. Everyone will forget, and morons will eat up the rhetoric because they know their voter base will have a short memory.

Undoubtedly, politicians will hurt themselves just to be the savior later. Everyone will forget, and morons will eat up the rhetoric because they know their voter base will have a short memory.

Yeah, I think if anyone finds it despicable for the Canadian Conservatives to try to undermine Trudeau and the American Democrats trying to undermine Trump in the NAFTA renegotiation out of sheer pettiness, the amount of sabotage that Labour hardliners have in store gonna be hard to watch, especially now when they are desperate to show that they are still relevant after that disastrous election.

But hey, there's always a chance that Brits will somehow finally learn to work together for the good of their country, rather than be at each other's throats for personal political gains.

Last edited:
But hey, there's always a chance that Brits will somehow finally learn to work together for the good of their country, rather than be at each other's throats for personal political gains.

That would imply compromise on both sides, which seems unlikely to happen.

Not just them, early in these threads there were more militant types looking down on everyone, there was one guy that kept asking pro-Brexit people how it's possible without solving the Irish border. He just kept asking that all the time. As time went on and their rhetoric wasn't being reflected in reality they went away and moderate types came along. They were cautiously optimistic it might still not happen but kept an air of fence-sitting since defeat was looming. Now they've gone silent, it's done and UK is now out.

Looking back at older posts just in 2019 you have gems like this:

These guys love their polls and straw-narratives. I wouldn't be surprised if leftists deny Project Fear even happened too.

LOL - they have solved the Irish Border using one of the possible solutions remainers said they would have to use, that pro-Brexit people said was a redline that could not happen. They have put a de facto border in the Irish Sea.

Honestly, a lot of the posts from the Remain side seem to react to bad news with glee. They don't want Britain to "have it's cake and eat it", aka, succeed. They want people like me to fail and suffer.

Honestly, a lot of the posts from the Remain side seem to react to bad news with glee. They don't want Britain to "have it's cake and eat it", aka, succeed. They want people like me to fail and suffer.

I told you so is built into humanity.

Bit of a snowflake to take offense to it really.

Every person on the right in England and Wales should beg for Scottish independence.

Politically, nothing would be better for conservatives.

It removes over 50 leftist MPs and conservatives don't need to win nearly so large a majority. That's why I don't get why the right doesn't support it. You could still go to Scotland if you want and nothing essentially changed for the public, except a powerful and vindictive leftist bloc is removed from Parliament.

Yet you didn't attribute any of the past economic problems the UK has had since the 70s to EU membership, right?

Can't get something back that never belonged to you. But I would love to hear about which Irish national related to the current Ireland had rightful claim to Ulster.

Ulster was part of the Republic of Ireland decades before it existed. That does sound like Sinn Fein logic to me.

I guess England could make the same argument about Great Britain and just dissolve Scotland and Wales as a whole. Since they are on the same island and all.

i'd heard stories about the War Room being full of clueless bastards, I never really believed it until now.

yuknh86.jpg

There may be some short-term pain for the UK from this, and God knows they have their own problems, but the EU is a sclerotic and failing institution even apart from the challenges posed by Brexit.

There will likely be something that calls itself the EU in 30 years--God knows these institutions have a way of lingering--but it will be a fractured and largely irrelevant body, if current trends continue.

And I don't see how the EU has any chance of weathering the next economic downturn or handling its serious demographic problems, let alone coordinating a serious response to any kind of security threat. The mettle of institutions is tested by bad times, not good, and the EU has yet to successfully surmount a single major challenge; all it has managed to do is kick the can down the road on a few issues.

As far as the claim that the EU is the cause of Europe's peace post-WWII (only true if you don't consider the Balkans part of Europe, but never mind). My current thesis is that while there is a correlation between peace in Europe and the creation of the EU, the causal relationship is largely backwards from how it is normally understood. The EU exists because American military hegemony largely short-circuited the need for intra-European strategic considerations in Western Europe (obviously the conflict with the Warsaw Pact was another issue). Various European countries were able to leverage this peace to advance their economic interests, which they could only do because they didn't have to worry about their neighbours, for the first time in recent history.

The fact is that if American continues to withdraw as its interest in hegemony and maintenance of the global order declines, intra-European strategic competition will increase. That alone will tear the EU apart.

Interesting take. Thanks for the post.

Back