International Brexit Discussions v11: U.K and Switzerland sign post-Brexit financial services deal

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score

Thread Index:

Brexit Discussion, Part 10: The Destruction of Jeremy Corbyn
Brexit Discussion, Part 9: The Last Extension
Brexit Discussion, Part 8: Theresa May's Final Hours
Brexit Discussion, Part 7: The Self-Sabotage
Brexit Discussion, Part 6: The Divorce Begins
Brexit Discussion, Part 5: The In-Fighting
Brexit Discussion, Part 4: The Back-Pedaling
Brexit Discussion, Part 3: The World's Reaction to Brexit
Brexit Discussion, Part 2: The Day After The Vote
Brexit Discussion, Part 1: Counting Down to the Referendum

Last edited:

Last edited:
Ahhh what it is to live in 'interesting' times......the consequences of this good bad,real or imagined are going to dominate the political and cultural discourse for a generation .

this Halloween, dress as Brexit and tell your friends to fuck off

What are the odds of other countries following the same suit after seeing Britain successfully seceded from EU?

Last edited:
What are the odds of other countries following the same suit after seeing Britain successfully seceded from EU?
I think a lot of people will want to leave. The Globalists played their hand too strongly and jumped the gun entirely.

Ahhh what it is to live in 'interesting' times......the consequences of this good bad,real or imagined are going to dominate the political and cultural discourse for a generation .

It really is beautiful. God bless Great Britain.

FarageArticlePage-1160x1379.jpg

Well the jury is probably going to be out for a while on the whole success thing ...... but I could potentially see both a Southern and Eastern country leaving within the next couple of decades though whether under their own steam or expelled by the EU will be the question .

You'll get much better odds on countries leaving the UK.

Last edited:
Epic

can we have a recession now as I’m looking for some time off work

There may be some short-term pain for the UK from this, and God knows they have their own problems, but the EU is a sclerotic and failing institution even apart from the challenges posed by Brexit.

There will likely be something that calls itself the EU in 30 years--God knows these institutions have a way of lingering--but it will be a fractured and largely irrelevant body, if current trends continue.

And I don't see how the EU has any chance of weathering the next economic downturn or handling its serious demographic problems, let alone coordinating a serious response to any kind of security threat. The mettle of institutions is tested by bad times, not good, and the EU has yet to successfully surmount a single major challenge; all it has managed to do is kick the can down the road on a few issues.

As far as the claim that the EU is the cause of Europe's peace post-WWII (only true if you don't consider the Balkans part of Europe, but never mind). My current thesis is that while there is a correlation between peace in Europe and the creation of the EU, the causal relationship is largely backwards from how it is normally understood. The EU exists because American military hegemony largely short-circuited the need for intra-European strategic considerations in Western Europe (obviously the conflict with the Warsaw Pact was another issue). Various European countries were able to leverage this peace to advance their economic interests, which they could only do because they didn't have to worry about their neighbours, for the first time in recent history.

The fact is that if American continues to withdraw as its interest in hegemony and maintenance of the global order declines, intra-European strategic competition will increase. That alone will tear the EU apart.

U.S. Secretary of State Michael Pompeo said the so-called special relationship with the U.K. is “in a fantastic place,” as he promised to prioritize sealing a “gold standard” free trade deal after Brexit.

His comments in London are a boost for Boris Johnson a day before the U.K. leaves the European Union: the prime minister and other Brexiteers have long argued that securing new trading terms with the world’s biggest economy are one of the great prizes of Britain’s departure from the bloc.

“We intend to put the United Kingdom at the front of the line” for a free trade deal, Pompeo said, speaking alongside British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab at the Policy Exchange think tank. “We intend to continue to take the relationship, which we think is in a fantastic place today and put it in an even better place in the weeks, months and years ahead.”

The Trump administration has repeatedly said it wants to strike a new trade agreement with the U.K. as soon as possible. That is in sharp contrast with the warning from former President Barack Obama, who said during the 2016 referendum campaign that Britain would be at the back of the queue if voters chose to exit the EU.

The U.K. will be free to negotiate trade agreements with countries outside the EU when it leaves the bloc on Friday, and Pompeo talked up the potential for both sides.

“We ought to be able to put together the gold standard for what a bilateral trading arrangement ought to look like,” Pompeo said.

Still, there are questions about how quickly a deal can be reached, especially with the U.S. heading into the presidential election in November, and with the U.K. seeking to concurrently broker a new trading relationship with the EU. Pompeo later told LBC radio he doesn’t want to set a time frame for reaching an agreement -- but signaled he wants good progress this year.

“It’ll take a little bit, but I hope by the end of this year or the late summer, early fall, we have a substantial piece of progress and we can begin to close out the most difficult issues,” he said.

With the British public opposed to U.S. involvement in the National Health Service, Pompeo said: “I can categorically say that we’re not interested in it.” But asked about another contentious issue in the U.K. -- the washing of chicken with chlorine -- Pompeo said he’s “sure” negotiations on agriculture will be difficult.

“I think there will be real contentious issues around agriculture,” Pompeo said. “We need to make sure that we don’t use food safety as a ruse to try and protect a particular industry.”

In the Policy Exchange event, Raab and Pompeo were asked if they would accept sectoral deals if an overarching trade agreement can’t be done in time. The U.K. minister replied: “I don’t think we should go into this thinking a deal can’t be done.”

“There’s huge alignment in terms of our economic interests,” Raab said. “Of course there are going to be difficult issues. The British negotiators are going to be rigorous and robust, we know that the Americans are, but I think we should go into this with some optimism, some ambition, some can-do spirit, and I do think a deal can be done.”

Answering the same question after Raab, Pompeo kept it brief.

“I concur,” he said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...will-be-front-of-line-for-trade-deal-with-u-s

You'll get much better odds on countries leaving the UK.

Itl never happen
Theres not enough stupid people to vote for a non binding referendum to fuck over their economy for vague promises of......wait this all feels very familiar

Back