Brendan Schaub: Dominick Cruz would outstrike Floyd Mayweather

Go away you tit.

The Philly shell defense won't work with 4 oz gloves, nor will the bobbing low and turning away, he'll eat plenty of knees for his efforts.

Mayweather doesn't fight from the "Philly shell" and that style goes back to the days of bareknuckle fighting. Ridiculous thread. Way too much boxing discussion in the heavies as of late. It's like a bunch of high school stoners talking quantum physics.

I think Floyd would beat him in a pure striking match. His biggest adjustment would be to throw a right cross (probably his best punch) to counter the leg kicks. He would have Cruz running as soon as he tasted Mayweather's power. I'm not a Mayweather fan at all either.

MAA match would be another story. Mayweather Would get subbed in under 2 minutes and might not land a strike.

i don't think Cruz would outstrike him with kicks- see schaub saying cruz would outstrike him even if mayweather learn to defend leg kicks? are you serious?

have you seen Mayweather hand speed with big boxing gloves,now take MMA gloves which are 3 times lighter and mayweather would outstrike cruz from range of his low kicks.

Mayweather typically fights with 8 oz gloves. MMA gloves are 4 oz. The heaviest gloves Mayweather, or any other professional boxer, would use would be 10 oz gloves.

Oh lawd, and both of them would be beaten by Giorgio Petrosyan if it was just standup. Gimme a break Schaub. Just for good measure:

[YT]CpA-4_RZsjI[/YT]

Mma striking - obvious yes

boxing striking - obvious no

No, I'm saying he'd fight at 145. Floyd's not tiny. He's shredded even when he's not fighting. That's my point. Canelo had 22 pounds on him during the fight but that's because Canelo's massive. Floyd wouldn't wanna fight anywhere below 145 because he's filled out as a welterweight. Cutting that much weight affects your athleticism.

He'd still be a small FW by MMA standards.

People put so much hype into boxing as if its the end all be all of striking.

I would put my money on a top muay thai fighter over mayweather in an mma fight.

There is basically 0 threat of a takedown from floyd. Floyd has 2 weapons, the MT guy has 8. Add to the fact the reason floyd is so good is because he has mastered the rules of boxing to fit his style. Also the gloves are a huge advantage, especially in boxing because you only need to protect stomach and head. I wonder how mayweather would handle a plum from a top muay thai guy. He'd get kneed to oblivion.

When Brendan Schaub speaks, I listen.

he probably would. cruz has that bounce around mma style down to a science. mayweather would be guessing and totally thrown off his game

In an MMA fight, I don't see Cruz losing. His footwork, angles and kicks alone will be too much for FM. I'd even give him a slight edge in speed.

schaub quickly reaching tito levels for amazing quotes

he said a stand up fight, Cruz's movement looks good compared to the mostly rudimentary movement of MMA fighters...Mayweather's on another level

I was under the impression that it would be an MMA fight where Cruz chose not to do any take downs throughout thus turning it into a standup fight. If they agreed in the beginning not to do take downs then it is a kickboxing match and not MMA. I was also under the impression that their movement is rudimentary because of the added risks for leg kicks and take downs and that a traditional boxing footwork would just lead to countless take downs

If no takedowns Floyd would teach Cruz what real footwork looks like and knock him silly.

lool mma fans are laughable when they come up with shit like this. I love mma and boxing. I have trained both and anyone who thinks cruz can beat Floyd in a striking match because he can kick are clowns. Its one thing to say MMA fight. But anyone who thinks an elite boxer would lose to a below average muay thai striker because for some weird reason a boxer have never seen a kick is mad. I also dont think some of you realize how pathetic MMA boxing is....and no it has nothing to do people worrying about takedowns. their ability to use their hands is light years behind elite boxers

lool mma fans are laughable when they come up with shit like this. I love mma and boxing. I have trained both and anyone who thinks cruz can beat Floyd in a striking match because he can kick are clowns. Its one thing to say MMA fight. But anyone who thinks an elite boxer would lose to a below average muay thai striker because for some weird reason a boxer have never seen a kick is mad. I also dont think some of you realize how pathetic MMA boxing is....and no it has nothing to do people worrying about takedowns. their ability to use their hands is light years behind elite boxers

And Floyd Mayweather is a level or two above most elite boxers.

I was under the impression that it would be an MMA fight where Cruz chose not to do any take downs throughout thus turning it into a standup fight. If they agreed in the beginning not to do take downs then it is a kickboxing match and not MMA. I was also under the impression that their movement is rudimentary because of the added risks for leg kicks and take downs and that a traditional boxing footwork would just lead to countless take downs

Well if you actually read the topic it was mention more than once that it was a striking fight in the octagon. Obviously there would be no wrestling allowed or else there would be nothing to discus.

And Floyd Mayweather is a level or two above most elite boxers.

Exactly. They actually think a boxer knows nothing about clinching and best of all Floyd would stand there be all cautious and give Cruz time and space to throw leg kicks. He would have zero respect for his hands and would just close the distance and unload on him:icon_lol:

Back