Brendan Loughnane Speaks Out (Dominick Cruz Said He Got Contract)

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ReadWrite, Jun 26, 2019.

?

Do you want Dana to sign Brendan?

1. Y

61.7%
  2. N

38.3%
  1. ReadWrite

ReadWrite Red Belt Platinum Member

“What Else Do I Have to Do?”

Brendan Loughnane is unsure about where his future lies following Dana White’s controversial refusal to award him with a contract on the back of a dominant win on last week’s Dana White’s Contender Series.

White’s decision to not award Loughnane a contract due to the Englishman’s takedown attempt in the dying embers of the contest sparked online debate. Many believe that Loughnane fought the highest level of opponent and showcased the most dynamic skillset of the night en route to victory over Bill Algeo.

Appearing on the latest episode of MMA Fighting’s Eurobash podcast, Loughnane admitted that he was concerned that he didn’t get a finish immediately after the contest, but was reassured by training partner and close friend Dominick Cruz that he had done enough.

“I’m a very self-critical person and I wanted to knock Bill Algeo out, especially in the third-round, that was my main concern, so I wasn’t happy with that,” Loughnane told Eurobash.

“I never really know how I’ve done in a fight, but when I came out I asked Dominick Cruz, I said, ‘What do you think?’ And Dom was like, ‘C’mon, man. [You got the contract] easily.’

“But I was just mad at myself for not getting [the finish] and taking it out of everyone’s hands. Then I watched a few of my highlights in the back room and I thought, F*ck, I beat him up!

Loughnane believes he was the highest-caliber fighter that competed on the four-fight card.

“To not get it and watch those others guys—guys who are 3-0—low kicking and getting [a contract]…and then the last fight with those guys swinging…I just thought that there was no real caliber on there like mine. I thought we definitely got it, and then, all of a sudden, we didn’t, it was like, ‘F*ck in hell, what else do I have to do?’”

“On the pre-fight stuff I said that I was going to show in this fight that Englishmen can wrestle because they’re known not to be able to wrestle. I wanted to show that I can, especially against a guy that people were saying was a good grappler. I wanted to show the versatility in my attacks and I also wanted to show the diversity in my attacks and I thought that’s what I was doing. The game plan in the lead to this fight was to mix up my striking and my takedowns to beat this guy and I had to because he was good everywhere,” he explained.

“I just stuck to my game plan and all I could hear from my corner was, ‘Get a takedown! Secure it in the last 30 seconds!’ So I did, and obviously, eventually it cost me a contract.”

Asked for his immediate reaction to White’s takedown reasoning, Loughnane said: “When you say it back it sounds absolutely mind blowing, but what can you do?”

White underlined that he was looking for “killer instinct” on the Tuesday night broadcast. Loughnane—considered a top European unsigned talent—insists that he would be more than happy to show his finishing ability against a lesser experienced opponent.

“That was a UFC-level fight,” Loughnane said of his clash with Algeo. “If they want to give me someone that’s 3-0, I’ll show them the killer instinct that they’re talking about. They’ve given me a champion from another organization. If you want to see that level of a fight, sometimes that’s gonna be the outcome. I’m willing to accept that, but at least accept that you’ve given me a tougher opponent. This killer instinct they’re talking about, I’ll happily show them that if they want to give me an inexperienced guy. Those guys were 5-0 and 3-0, if you want to give me them then no problem. Don’t give me a champion and expect this killer instinct that you’re talking about.”

After waiting six years to get another shot in the UFC, Loughnane admitted that he is disheartened in the wake of not receiving a contract on the back of his win over Algeo.

“When you’ve been ranked as highly as I am, for as long as I have, and you’ve watch guys that are ranked sixth, seventh, tenth, fifteenth all get signed, you’re like, ‘What’s going on here?’ Then you finally get a chance and you go in and put on a performance like that and you don’t get [a contract]…you’re like, ‘What the f*ck do I do now?’” he said.

“To get me back up in the morning, to be able to perform like that in this sport; it’s going to have to be something really worthwhile for me now to get in there again. It’s going to have to be good money or it’s not even worth doing for me anymore at this stage. I’m getting older now, I’m 29. I want to start a family and I want to do other stuff. Like I say, they’re gonna have to get me out of bed for this one.”

-MMAFighting

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    beefcake180 and MilesP4P like this.
  2. Threetrees

Threetrees F*ck Trump Belt

Sucks to be him

3. DeathStroke

DeathStroke Blue Belt

I feel like Dana has actually been pretty clear on this. Hes looking for more "just bleed" than "John fitch".

4. Yacob

Yacob Kenny Florian level fight predictor

NVVESNw.png

These people want him to be in the highest paying organization in mma

Hawkeye Mihawk likes this.
  5. trident

trident Water Belt

All he had to say was "I'm English, we in general have shit wrestling, with 10 seconds left I just wanted to show Dana I had takedowns too. I'm sorry he took it wrong. I hope he reconsiders."

6. Hawkeye Mihawk

Hawkeye Mihawk Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

He wasn’t a Jon Fitch. He was just showing he had all the skills.

7. Only Here for Attachments

Only Here for Attachments Free from the yellow once again!

Why do you need to secure the round when you're wobbling the guy with every strike? Shit coaching.

8. 91 seconds

91 seconds Disposable Hero

I wonder if Dana is so petty he just hates everyone with the name Brendan now? Poor fella

Ekim and Kenny Powerth like this.
  9. Threetrees

Threetrees F*ck Trump Belt

It's a shitty manipulation of the judges.
    Its not even a manipulation of the rules - scoring a takedown in the last seconds is largely meaningless according to he actual scoring criteria, unless you do something with it, especially in a round that's primarily contested on the feet.
    Its a shitty manipulation of the judges by hoping they give more weight to the takedown than they actual should. Cruz's game is full of things like this, and its very very smart. However, it's called Dana White's Contender Series - its literally a try out in his special org where he gets to do whatever he wants. I can't fathom why anyone is shocked, confused, angry about this.

10. IDGETKTFO

IDGETKTFO White Belt

He wasn't a Jon Fitch but trying to get that point at the very end is a fitch....i mean bitch move.

11. kimocomplex

kimocomplex Red Belt

Dana has always said: nobody deserves anything, you have to earn it

Enigma87 likes this.
  12. bigconan

bigconan Silver Belt

so he wants a bunch of just bleed tank abbots, with zero fighting skill? seems he wants tough guy contests, rather than having the best fighters in the world...if i was that guy, i'd talk with bellator. i'm sure they will pay him good money. and he can have his own sponsors to boot.

AssassinFacedBaby likes this.
  13. Dbreiden83080

Dbreiden83080 Danger Zone

I mean listen reality talk here

He is 29 years old. And honestly if he was such a special prospect he would’ve been in the UFC a couple of years ago. They don’t miss out on super hot top prospects. They are well aware of all the top prospects fighting outside of their organization.

14. chitoortiz

chitoortiz Silver Belt

This is all on Loughnane. This is his fault.

How did he not know what show he was going on?

It's been two full seasons now...we all know what Dana is looking for on this show.

Shoot a td with 10 seconds left? That's called round stealing. The exact opposite of what Dana is after.

And then complain and cry about it afterwards? Lame.

15. Mr_Hodge

Mr_Hodge Blue Belt

Agree completely, I honestly think that Dana knows nothing about MMA sometimes

16. Mr_Hodge

Mr_Hodge Blue Belt

Thats part of the problem, he had a UFC fight in like 2011 and lost by decision, I think thats part of why Dana was hesitant, but you develop as a fighter in 8 years which I feel he showed

17. AWilder

AWilder Brown Belt

What's to keep bellator for signing him? Does ufc have some kind of cool-off period or timed option? I ask because guys have been on the show, not got a contract, then get a fight in the ufc anyways, for short notice iirc.

18. BEATDOWNS

BEATDOWNS Gold Belt

He was gonna get a shitty 10K/10K contract anyways. Not saying it's right but probably worked out for the best.

19. TheWobbler

TheWobbler Brown Belt

Im bored of this now. Everyone should have dropped it after they said their piece. This lad might have got a fight on a ufc uk card but im not so sure dana is interested now because of the backlash.

20. daprodigalone

daprodigalone Blue Belt

if it was anyone but dana white, i think that all this fallback of this guy not getting a contract would benefit him. it's dana who made the decision and all this attention being drawn just fuels dana white to stick with his initial decision.

it could benefit loughnane in the long run though. dana is going to milk this as much as possible. loughnane is going to get a short notice spot on a card in the next 3 months. it'll be up to him to capitalize on this publicity and put on a show when the phone does call. it could put more money in his pocket if it plays out right for him.