Breakthrough moments

I second the post on the underhook.

Also, when I realized that breaking opp's grips (ie. grabbing opp's sleeves, behind elbow, and blocking) when he's trying to pass your guard, really helped my guard game.

When I really learned to gramby. I am very flexible, but for whatever reason grambying was a little difficult for me to understand or put into action.

Keep on bumping and shrimping when you're on the bottom. That's not much of a secret but when my instructor told me that, bells and whistles went off in my head.

I trained in No Gi for a couple months before I started training Gi (only been doing that for a few weeks). Realizing how different things are and that it's like a completely different animal. Not like spanish to Portuguese, but more like english to chinese.

What? I think you are looking too far into things.

armbars are still armbars. There are differences in the two, but if you have been grappling as long as you say you have than it might help you to find the similarities in both. Looking at the differences will slow down your progress in both.

Oh, I have had plenty over the years. My biggest one is probably learning I can't be swept or tapped if I am pulling my opponents head.

i learned that im terrible from under side control. so when im getting passed i try to roll to turtle

I've had a couple in the year that I've been training.

1. Controlling the hips is crucial in pretty much all positions
2. It's a lot easier and better to be first with grip control and to try and fight out of it
3. Gaining an understanding of control points on the top and how people must move when in a particular situation.

1. Slowing down ! Comming from judo you find yourself going ful out like an animal arm bar hunting really not paying attention to technique because you have such little time on the ground in comps took 3 weeks when i started bjj to realize this then it was smooth sailing .

2. This is gonna sound stupid because its so common but i never realized the monkey grip when doing kimura's i felt so stupid .

Back