Breakthrough moments

HomerPlata

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
How about posting some breakthrough moments? For example, realising you had to position your body in a certain way to properly finish a sub, or getting specific timing to hit a sweep correctly. Come on, you know you want to :icon_chee

Never being directly in front of my opponents bellybutton while I have him in guard makes EVERYTHING so much easier.

When I truly discovered the purpose and mechanics of an underhook (from all positions).

When I realised how to position my non-sweeping leg properly so I could get the sweep a lot easier.

getting on your hip and fighting tooth and nail from getting cross faced and flattened out when in bottom half.

Learning S mount and being able to land arm bars from the mount with controled movements.

Coming from a long wrestling background, I'll never forget how much my game changed when I realized it was ok to be on my back. LOL

Understanding how to use my weight in side control. Realizing the effectiveness of getting up on my elbow to stop various guard passes. Discovering the importance of grip fighting.

When rolling with my friend who outweighs me by about 100 lbs (but he is very careful not to smash me with pure strength), I had to think and feel his weight shifting to even close to performing any sweeps/passes. It helps me a ton.

learned that the focal points of breaking posture are the wrists elbows and the head

how to properly control their head to break their posture, and hipping out in guard

learning how to set up and use an armdrag was a pretty big breakthrough in my guard game. suddenly i felt a lot more powerful against larger opponents.

learning how to set up and use an armdrag was a pretty big breakthrough in my guard game. suddenly i felt a lot more powerful against larger opponents.

I only recently started grabbing peoples wrists in my guard, sounds stupid I know but I for some reason just never did it. I never learned a proper arm drag but through watching enough video on it I hit it all the time. it changes shit a lot man, big deal

I have a lot more strength in my core than in my arms and legs. The closer my target is to my core, the more of that strength I can use.

Something I learned in Judo, but for some reason took me a while to firgure out on the ground.

Also, the more I learn, the more I realize that BJJ and Judo concepts are the same thing. Physics is physics and everything works better with posture, angle, leverage, and unbalancing.

Thanks everyone, some really good posts there. I'll let you know when I get a "eureka" moment of my own...

when a training partner showed me the importance of cutting an angle when going for triangles.

Can you expand in this? On the setup. I understand it may be hard to put in words. A video link would be great also.

Never cross your arm over your center line when in someone's guard. Suddenly everyone stopped submitting me.

Can you expand in this? On the setup. I understand it may be hard to put in words. A video link would be great also.

Aesopian did it much better than I can. This isn't the only way to do it, but it is a good way: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/stupid-simple-armdrag-434125/

I tend to do it more from closed guard, and once I get the arm across I work relentlessly to break my opponent's posture so he can't pull his arm back out. From there I alternately threaten the back take and the pendulum/flower sweep.

When you are in guard, once you get both of his arms on one side of your body it opens up so many attacks.

I trained in No Gi for a couple months before I started training Gi (only been doing that for a few weeks). Realizing how different things are and that it's like a completely different animal. Not like spanish to Portuguese, but more like english to chinese.

i just recently learned that i needed to turn an angle for the shoot... alot of guys helped me here..:)

Back