BREAKTHROUGH: Immune cell that kills most CANCERS discovered by accident by British scientists

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
A new type of immune cell which kills most cancers has been discovered by accident by British scientists, in a finding which could herald a major breakthrough in treatment.

Researchers at Cardiff University were analysing blood from a bank in Wales, looking for immune cells that could fight bacteria, when they found an entirely new type of T-cell.

That new immune cell carries a never-before-seen receptor which acts like a grappling hook, latching on to most human cancers, while ignoring healthy cells.

In laboratory studies, immune cells equipped with the new receptor were shown to kill lung, skin, blood, colon, breast, bone, prostate, ovarian, kidney and cervical cancer.

More: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science...T8EGEDjlN5GgqIInAkwrSgRVmmQ1884mdYWVpN4bz9H_c

A newly-discovered part of our immune system could be harnessed to treat all cancers, say scientists.

The Cardiff University team discovered a method of killing prostate, breast, lung and other cancers in lab tests.

The findings, published in Nature Immunology, have not been tested in patients, but the researchers say they have "enormous potential".

Experts said that although the work was still at an early stage, it was very exciting.

What have they found?
Our immune system is our body's natural defence against infection, but it also attacks cancerous cells.

The scientists were looking for "unconventional" and previously undiscovered ways the immune system naturally attacks tumours.

What they found was a T-cell inside people's blood. This is an immune cell that can scan the body to assess whether there is a threat that needs to be eliminated.

The difference is this one could attack a wide range of cancers.

"There's a chance here to treat every patient," researcher Prof Andrew Sewell told the BBC.

He added: "Previously nobody believed this could be possible.

"It raises the prospect of a 'one-size-fits-all' cancer treatment, a single type of T-cell that could be capable of destroying many different types of cancers across the population."

How does it work?
T-cells have "receptors" on their surface that allow them to "see" at a chemical level.

The Cardiff team discovered a T-cell and its receptor that could find and kill a wide range of cancerous cells in the lab including lung, skin, blood, colon, breast, bone, prostate, ovarian, kidney and cervical cancer cells.

Crucially, it left normal tissues untouched.

More: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51182451

Last edited:
This will probably get buried somehow by pharmaceutical companies.

Never trust the Welsh...

Some Chinese student is probably trying to steal the goods as we speak.

Can we get a mental health check on researchers from Cardiff university. I'm hearing some are feeling suicidal.

Seems like a positive and amazing thing by reading the op.

My immediate thought is about how people would react when the fear of cancer as a consequence for their actions is removed. Do we indulge in carcinogens and gluttony? Or maybe use it as recognition of how capable our bodies are and harness it...

I feel like I see this news every year and then nothing happens

Every few years we hear about some potential breakthrough in cancer research. It usually leads to nothing.

Let's hope this one finally has some positive results. If there's one thing I want to see in my lifetime it's a complete cure for cancer.

Should be fine as long as Devlin McGregor isn't involved.
Very well played. I love the film, but around here it seems like it's on one channel or another daily. I've noticed it since just before the holidays.

If this is a sherdog inside joke, I must have missed where it originated from
the-fugitive-sequel.jpg

it was not at all an accident, despite media sources calling it that. the researchers specifically grew cancer cells in the presence of white blood cells and screened for populations that responded with proliferation.

They did not discover a new cell type with a unique receptor. The receptor is actually still the t cell receptor (TCR). The TCR binds antigens that are typically bound to MHC class I or II molecules, that are usually recognized by CD4 or CD8. MR1 is the new "receptor" they speak of. it is not new, it has been known for a long time, particularly in mucosal associated invariant t cells.

The cells they selected for are non-MAIT MR1+ cells, which also have already been known to exist.

here is a 2003 paper on the topic of MR1:
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature01433

This will probably get buried somehow by pharmaceutical companies.
this is very early stage, fundamental mechanistic study. the application of this to actual treatment is a long ways away.

inb4 this is bought up and shelved away from the light of day

I wonder which drug company will buy and suppress it..

Back