Breakpoint Ultra Light Gi

kimble09

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I haven't found any reviews on this Gi, although, there's a nice review on the Breakpoint Deluxe. If what i'm hearing is correct, then the Ultra Light is the EXACT same Gi top as the Delux, minus the crazy patches...can anyone comment on that?

Also, i've been wearing a Gameness Pearl for the past year...A3 model. I've lost a little weight, i'm going to be 185 and under from here on, and i'm 5' 11". Breakpoint's sizing chart says A2 for my size and the Gi's are 95% pre-shrunk. Should I go with the A2?? I'm guessing it will be more of a snug fit than my Pearl, which i'm kind of looking forward to.

It probably would be more snug, but I'd be careful. When I competed in Judo I was a size 4 (A2) but I've always had super long arms so I could never keep sleeves legal. Now I'm about 50lbs heavier but even if I leaned out, I would need A3 for the sleeve length.

can anyone comment on whether or not the ultra light is the same exact gi as the deluxe, minus the patches??

My words don't hold much weight regarding this matter as I don't own any BP gis, but I remember reading about it in a different thread...I considered getting one.

The guys from Breakpoint said that the ultralight is made from the same material as the "notoriously flashy" gi, except that you get only one pair of pants - the light ones (twill or canvas, or whatever...)

Also, there was some guy who was pretty much your size (and mine) who wrote about his flashy BP gi in a blog. He praised the fit of an A2 on him. Try searching for it...if I remember correctly, he started a gi poll some time ago...

I found the above mentioned blog:

The guy's name is BorisBJJ, and his blog is here

If I remember correctly, he used to have some pics of his BP gi, but I couldn't find any just now.

I'm also interested in whether or not the standard is basically the same as the deluxe. I emailed the guys at Breakpoint I'll let you know if I get a response.

thanks guys...i talked to a lady at BP, she confirmed that the Ultra Light and the Deluxe are the exact same Gi, only the Ultra Light is missing patches and the inside artwork.

i ordered a White A2, i'll let you know how the fit is out of the box. right now i'm hovering around 190 lbs, and 5' 11".

I just got an email confirming what you just said. I'm interested in how it fits you, since I'm around your size at 6' 170lb.

good deal...i be sure to update when it gets here.

got my BP Ultra Light in yesterday...ordered from Budo.

the Gi looks great. the Embroidery is simple and nice looking.

the only other recently bought Gi's i can compare it to is my 2009 model Gameness Pearl. In comparing the two I've noticed a few things right off the bat...

#1: they're both made in Pakistan.
#2: the weaves seem identical
#3: the BP has much more play in the underarm area, not sure if this is good or bad yet.
#4: i ordered an A2 in the BP which is about the same size as my A3 was in my Gameness Pearl before it was washed. I was hoping to not have to shrink fit this BP gi, as I was at the very top of their A2 sizing (5"11, 185lbs). the Gameness Pearl A3 sizing is 6', 200lbs.
#5: The BP Gi seems to have a longer bottom hem on the Gi than the Gameness...which i'm guessing would be better from a Gi Choking perspective.

okay, that's all i have right now...i'm thinking of doing a formal review next week with nice pics. my mother is in town until monday, so i won't have time till then.

How long are the pants on you?

i tried them on once when i first opened the box up, and if i remember correctly, they bottom hem came just at the top of my ankles...i will give more details later, and take measurements.

also, one thing i forgot to mention in my previous post...i compared the lapel thickness of the BP vs. the Gameness Pearl, and there is a fairly large difference. The BP has a much thicker Lapel, and I really like the feel of it. once again, i will have pics up next week to show and compare.

I have the BP Deluxe in A2 and at 5'9.5" and 185 pounds, the sleeves are JUST the right length. Any shorter and there would be a problem, so if you have longer arms (I have 34" sleeves which is average) you may be in trouble.

I have the BP Deluxe in A2 and at 5'9.5" and 185 pounds, the sleeves are JUST the right length. Any shorter and there would be a problem, so if you have longer arms (I have 34" sleeves which is average) you may be in trouble.

okay, maybe i'm not used to the cut of this Breakpoint Gi. it is considerably different than the Gameness Pearl i'm used to.

did you shrink fit your gi at all??

kimble, I did not shrink it. Did the vinegar soak and that's it (and that still made everything smurfy).

okay...i must admit, i'm lazy.

with that being said, no measurements have been taken.

here's more about the Gi though...my initial thought was the Gi seemed big, and i was a bit disappointed in that because i thought i wouldn't have to shrink fit. after further review, the Gi fits just as it should...sleeves about an inch off my palms. my initial thought was due to wearing a Gameness for the past year...the Gameness is very snug in the under arm area. i have to say the Lapel is freaking awesome...i sat down in my Gi last night at training and i love how it bows out due to the stiffness/thickness. and the fabric of the Gi is very nice...soft on the inside and rough on the outside.

I haven't rolled in the Gi yet, due to a shoulder injury...i'll revisit this thread afterwards, if i'm not too lazy.

the Gi pants are okay so far, one drawback is the drawstring not being rope...If i can replace that, then I'll be real happy with the pants. i washed them in cold and tumble dried on very low heat for appox 10 minutes. they now come down to a couple inches above my ankles...which is perfect for me. the pants are not baggy at all, and very light weight. there is extra fabric from the mid shin to the mid thigh area which is nice.

if anyone wants specific photos, just ask...i have a wife who's handy with the camera.

i think it's safe to say, that at under $100 you can't go wrong with this Gi.

i gotta say, after training in this Gi a few times, i freaking love it. i just rolled in the heavy duty training pants Breakpoint offers, the one's made from the Gi material, and they kick ass...

Back