breaking the rules in fights this close makes the ufc look incompetent

Forever Changes

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not going to name names but consider the following. If you were a professional athlete,potentially making millions of dollars through out the course of your career, and found that you could get an advantage by breaking a rule with small consequence, would you? If you were a coach supporting yourself financially by training fighters would you discourage it?

I'm not so much focused on the individual figher but more so on lack of integrity on the part of the ufc.You have five rounds. If you have two rounds to each fighter we can't say that all fighters wouldnt break the rules if it would win them the round and the fight. It is just too much reward vs risk and this is how people are feeding their families. I honestly think we are just going to see more and more of this because at the end of the day I just don't think most fighters will follow rules if it means they will be punished for being good. If its all about winning and making money why not juice up,snort speed ,take asthma meds if you are gassing late in the fight,have fixed fights,grease up before fights,eye gouge,hit the back of the head,kick eachother in the groin,kick a grounded opponent.

you say that like people in the NFL/NBA have never ever bent the rules...

you say that like people in the NFL/NBA have never ever bent the rules...

this is a combat sport like boxing. However, if fighters keep breaking the rules I doubt the three stooges league will become more mainstream. noone wants their kids doing that.

this is a combat sport like boxing. However, if fighters keep breaking the rules I doubt the three stooges league will become more mainstream. noone wants their kids doing that.

Hopkins has made a career of bending rules in boxing.

Rules are broken in every sport. Every single major sport in the USA has gone through major scandals.

I think Jones ought to have had a point deducted for eyepoking instead of being given a remedial lesson in how to keep his fingers out of his opponent's face.

1. It would not have changed the outcome.
2. If you let every little thing bother you, every sport quickly becomes unwatchable.

The biggest problem is that jones does it all the fucking time with no consequences, but it obviously gives him an advantage as his opponent has to continue fighting with blurry vision. If his opponent did it to him, jones could just say he can't continue, dq or nc, and he keeps his belt and gets paid. Bullshit.

Rules are broken in every sport. Every single major sport in the USA has gone through major scandals.

I haven't heard anything about this rule in a long time so some of my facts may be sketchy, but:

In the NHL you are permitted a certain amount of curve on the blade of your stick.
During a game, you are permitted to ask the referee to check the stick of an opposing player.
If it's too curved, they get a penalty.
If it's legal, YOU get a penalty.

During the playoffs, the Canadians were playing the Kings. At a key moment, the Canadians coach called for a stick check. The blade wasn't legal, the Canadians went on the power play, scored, and won the game.

Long after the playoffs, the Canadians' coach admitted that they sent someone into the Kings' locker room and checked all the sticks so they'd know which ones to check.

I think Jones ought to have had a point deducted for eyepoking instead of being given a remedial lesson in how to keep his fingers out of his opponent's face.

2. If you let every little thing bother you, every sport quickly becomes unwatchable.

I doubt this is ever going to happen.

If they start doing this, there are going to be a lot of faked fouls.

The eye poke completely changed the fight. Jones was on his way to losing 2 rounds in a row, so he poked.

I haven't heard anything about this rule in a long time so some of my facts may be sketchy, but:

In the NHL you are permitted a certain amount of curve on the blade of your stick.
During a game, you are permitted to ask the referee to check the stick of an opposing player.
If it's too curved, they get a penalty.
If it's legal, YOU get a penalty.

During the playoffs, the Canadians were playing the Kings. At a key moment, the Canadians coach called for a stick check. The blade wasn't legal, the Canadians went on the power play, scored, and won the game.

Long after the playoffs, the Canadians' coach admitted that they sent someone into the Kings' locker room and checked all the sticks so they'd know which ones to check.

Yup. Rules are bent in every sport. There's even a degree of luck to it. Look at the Seattle/ Steelers Superbowl game. Plenty of penalties by the Steelers went uncalled.

Competition, especially when money, ego, and reputation are tied in, will cause people to do drastic things to win. Regardless of what the rules say.

I doubt this is ever going to happen.

If they start doing this, there are going to be a lot of faked fouls.

And when it is not punished, smart guys like Jon will take a free unintentional poke every fight.

And when it is not punished, smart guys like Jon will take a free unintentional poke every fight.

I read an article where a fighter basically said you'd be an idiot if you didn't take your free fouls in an important fight, so yeah, we're going to see them.

I read an article where a fighter basically said you'd be an idiot if you didn't take your free fouls in an important fight, so yeah, we're going to see them.

and he is a dirty bastard too whomever that was

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back