breaking the collarbone

SteelHammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've seen tons of sites claim that it takes only 7 kg (some say 7 lb) of pressure the human collarbone. That can't possibly be true, can it? Wouldn't we see collarbones being broken by the slightest tap in every match if it were? Any 10 year old kid can punch with 7 kg of force. Anyone know whether this is just some urban legend or if the collarbone is actually this magical glass bone that anyone can shatter with the lightest touch?

Sounds like BS, or perhaps it is true under certain circumstances.

That's probably considering that the clavicle is clamped in place to receive the blow. The clavicle isn't really held that tightly in place on the torso, and would probably shift from a frontal blow. Furthermore, it would be hard to hit just the clavicle, placing all a blow's energy on it (especially with punches). I would bet the best way to break a clavicle would be with a downward strike like an axe kick... but we all know how hard that is too pull off.

That's probably considering that the clavicle is clamped in place to receive the blow. The clavicle isn't really held that tightly in place on the torso, and would probably shift from a frontal blow. Furthermore, it would be hard to hit just the clavicle, placing all a blow's energy on it (especially with punches). I would bet the best way to break a clavicle would be with a downward strike like an axe kick... but we all know how hard that is too pull off.

Not hard for Cro Cop

i got my collerbone broken , but i was in grade two and was trying to do a frontflip off the couch so its a slightly different senario.

it is clamped in place, but 7 kg? that's about the weight of the human head. If my gf puts her head on my collarbone it's gonna break? Dozens of sites if not hundreds claim 7 kg (or even 7 lb). google it. I don't understand how such a ridiculous number became an accepted figure for this.

Sounds better. If 7kg. was anywhere close to true people would have to be extremely careful with their front squatting form :D

it is clamped in place, but 7 kg? that's about the weight of the human head. If my gf puts her head on my collarbone it's gonna break? Dozens of sites if not hundreds claim 7 kg (or even 7 lb). google it. I don't understand how such a ridiculous number became an accepted figure for this.
Excellent post. You don't need to be a scientist to think like one.

Alot of people in this thread seem to be confusing weight with force. You are forgetting the acceleration/deceleration (depending on which way the force is being transferred) part.

You can place a 5lb brick on your foot and it won't hurt but it you drop the brick on your foot it will.

Alot of people in this thread seem to be confusing weight with force. You are forgetting the acceleration/deceleration (depending on which way the force is being transferred) part. You can place a 5lb brick on your foot and it won't hurt but it you drop the brick on your foot it will.
Weight IS force. Somebody seems to be confusing weight with mass.

I don't know about 7lbs but i wouldn't think its a hard bone to break. You can't exactly hit it solid with a punch but i bet it wouldn't be hard with a hammerfist or downward elbow strike, etc. I'm kind of suprised you don't see it targeted more in mma, actually. You'd think with that bone broken the guy couldn't use his arm, right?

Part of the problem is that some of the information is missing on that 7kg/8lb number. The number is correctly put at 8 P.S.I. This the elephant pad v.s. Woman's stiletto problem. Used to be an elephant could be loaded on a plane no problem, but a 125 pound women was not allowed to wear stiletto heels on the same plane becuase she would punch a hole in the bottom of the plane. Thus on the average, it is really hard to get the focused 8 PSI need to break a collarbone. Your GF head is going to A) spread the weight, B) not be trying to break the bone in the first place.

@TigerArm: there are a lot of things that would seem obvious you don't see in MMA. Deliberate bone breaks are not some thing you will ever see much of, breaks do to failure to tap sure, but not malicious or intended joint/bone breaks. Reason is simple, if you get a rep. for damaging fighters, you will stop getting fights. No fights means no pay checks.

I've seen sites that say while the collarbone is supposedly easy to break, its only easy at a certain position/angle of attack which is probably somewhat difficult to execute if you havn't trained specifically for it.

That's a load of shit. I just recovered from a shoulder injury. I got thrown with an osoto gari, flew through the air, and landed on my shoulder. It detached at the joint and torn & stretched my ligaments. Later on, after x-rays, I found out that I broke my clavicle. If it took 7kg to break your collarbone, then mine would be dust right now.

I broke my left collarbone, with my left arm....go figure

how did that happen?

also, a downward hammer fist might damage the wrist. Better to hit with the forearm i would assume, much harder object, and less mobile

Back