Breaking: Josh Thomson not being re-signed by UFC, expected to go to Bellator

I said "some of the best" and Thompson is still a top 10 LW or close to it. He has 1 clear loss since he came back into the UFC. it isn't about how often you lose but how and against whom you lose. Thompson is far from the worst fighter in the UFC so why do they cut hima and not the 200-300 fighters who are worse than him?

If you like his style or not is your problem if you prefer guys like Diego Sanchez over him then you are just a dumb wanker or don't care about the sport

Wrong forum, and you and Josh need to take your bitch ass to Worldwide MMA discussion. There you can hang out with your kind and discuss your wonderful decisions and technical bs.

This forum is for fighters who aren't ungrateful point fighting wankers.

Just bleed.

Not going to read this entire thread, but has any conspiracy theorist surmised that this is a ploy by the UFC to show that they're not a monopoly?

Even though Bellator is basically picking up the UFC's cast off talent, they are slowly gathering more and more names to boost the their roster.

It seems like the UFC has reached a breaking point. With the Reebok deal handcuffing the fighters and the large bloated roster, the UFC has been letting more people go to the competition than ever before.

I am not sure that letting Thompson go is a great decision. There might be some behind the scenes reasons for this move. Unlike some of the wrestlers of the past that fans generally don't enjoy watching, Thompson is an entertaining and engaging fighter. He will gain momentum with Bellator.

based off Thomson's quote, he wasn't cast off by the ufc.. dude said that the ufc were trying to signing him for the last to fight, but coker offered a contract that the ufc couldn't match.. due to their relationship with reebok...

what this tells me is that bellator put some sort of 'freedom of sponsorship during bellator airtime' language in their contract... this could cause huge headaches for the ufc later on down the road...

I know he got busted up by Ferguson, but he's legit still one of the best fighters in the world. UFC are more interested in girls and midgets fighting, what a fucking joke.

midgets and girls are okay being paid so little

His destruction of Nate Diaz was incredible. It was also over 2 years ago. Since then, he put on an excellent performance against Ben Henderson (I actually thought he should've won that fight), the following fight. Then, his fights have been the epitome of a man approaching retirement and seriously considering it (he said this HIMSELF), sparring matches with absolutely nothing memorable happening. And losing. The Ferguson fight was memorable mainly coz it was proof of the old-guard passing the torch, getting out-classed by a more hungry, well-rounded up-and-comer.

Thomson has maybe 3-4 fights left before he retires. Knowing Bellator his debut will be against a 8-4 guy from California, he'll win in round 1, get a second wind. The hype can build. Then Chandler and Brooks will embarrass him, and he'll retire.

Exact same scenario for Koscheck.

This is why these battle-worn veterans are disposable for the UFC. They earn a lot of money compared to most of their divisions, but are no longer capable of turning in 'wow' performances and continuously lose to legit top fighters. It's not worth the payday.

In Bellator they can get a nice payday, some awesome sponsor money (that is wicked, I fucking hate the Reebok deal), then retire. Bellator is becoming a retirement home for UFC veterans - I long for the days when it was all about impressive, exciting prospects you'd never heard of until they entered a Bellator tournament.

3 Losses. Get the steppin. No one wants to watch a guy with 3 loses in a row.

In a few months "that Bellator non-reebok money" will overtake "that anderson silva money" for having it made.

Back