Breaking: Josh Thomson not being re-signed by UFC, expected to go to Bellator

He fought some very tough guys in the UFC. He's still one of the top 15 fighters in the world but its clear he's not among the very best.

If he can end his career in Bellator making good money - big fish in a small pond - this is probably equitable for everyone.

I understand the cut. Thomson is to skilled and to old to be throwing him in against young up and comers when retirement is around the corner. Remember when he retired last year? Then came back months later?

I get that he's on a 3 fight skid. His performance vs Bobby Green was awful and he didn't do much in the Benson fight either. But while he was getting eaten alive and bloodied up by Ferguson he never wilted or stopped fighting. I think most of the roster would have.

I don't think I agree with this cut but I don't overly disagree with it either.

He's on the down swing I doubt he wins the belt there either Chandler and Brooks would both beat him but the guy's had a great career let him make some extra cash on the way out

You know what I actually don't mind this he could potentially become the champ in Bellator.
I would like to see Thomson Vs Held or even Chandler Vs Thomson. Going to Bellator will benefit him more in the long run I think.

Good fighter on a bad streak. Losing to Bendo most fighters at LW (and perhaps even WW) would do and Ferguson, even though he's a complete asshole, is now a top 10 fighter. The only loss that Thompson should feel a bit ashamed about is losing to Bobby Green. Green is good but he's got 0 fight IQ and Thompson should definitely be able to beat him. Thompson is clearly still UFC quality but he probably doesn't bring a lot of value to the UFC especially on a three fight losing streak. He's also near the end of his career, so could be wise to fight for Bellator as they probably will pay close to what the UFC pays and now he will get decent sponsorship money as well.

Damn, didnt see that one coming. But at his age, a 3 fights skid and probably asking for a lot of money, its not like it didnt make sense.

In retrospect even though him & Gil fought the best ufc had to offer, they both seem extremely overrated from their respective strikeforce peaks.

Phil davis and Thompson has the same manager. This was no surprise for him moving to Bellator. Coker has a good relationship with Thompson manager team since strikeforce days, I'm guessing any fighters under them who still in ufc will make the move.

http://miles-anderson-n3p4.squarespace.com/kyle-kingsbury-1/

DC, Cain, Rockhold are also under the same management team.

As are Phil Davis and Koscheck who recently have made the jump.

In retrospect even though him & Gil fought the best ufc had to offer, they both seem extremely overrated from their respective strikeforce peaks.
They weren't exactly eased into it. They both got placed into the Top 3 and had instant title-shots without any big UFC wins. They got pulled right to the top, and it didn't end well for either of them. Unfortunate, because both Josh and Gil were clearly talented.

I've always liked Josh and he's definately a pioneer at LW, but his last few fights have been very lackluster and he doesn't seem very interested in fighting anymore. Seems like he's been mulling over retirement for a little while now. He's definitely near the end of his career in any case.

Still sucks he didn't get his shot against Pettis.

There are some fun fights for him in Bellator but I don't think he can beat Brooks. It's unfortunate.

Good luck to Josh. True fighter right there.

They weren't exactly eased into it. They both got placed into the Top 3 and had instant title-shots without any big UFC wins. They got pulled right to the top, and it didn't end well for either of them. Unfortunate, because both Josh and Gil were clearly talented.

agreed, they both are extremely talented but the way Gil was touted and the fact that Josh was neck & neck with him, I'd figure they'd been 1 & 2 in the ufc. In reality neither has really come off as a top 5 talent. Not hating, I actually like the guys just disappointed with their time in the ufc

at 36, he's old for a LW with a decent amount of miles on him... the sport is a young man's game, especially in the lighter weight classes...

Phil davis and Thompson has the same manager. This was no surprise for him moving to Bellator. Coker has a good relationship with Thompson manager team since strikeforce days, I'm guessing any fighters under them who still in ufc will make the move.

That isn't how it works
You are also leaving out that UFC did not want Thompson.
He didn't choose Bellator over UFC, like Kos he went there bc UFC did not want him

Wish Thompson the best at Bellator. I know people say he is on a 3 fight losing streak, but i still think he beat Bendo with one arm. Shame he lost out on the shot a couple of times, including with Pettis getting hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back