Breaking: Josh Thomson not being re-signed by UFC, expected to go to Bellator

I understand he was a good LW but he clearly wasn't going any higher then he was. Best move for everyone involved. He'll probably retire soon anyways I remember him saying he was thinking of retiring after the Bobby Green fight I think it was.

Why would they re-sign him? He's 5-2 in his last 7 fights.

If Zuffa isn't willing to pay him the big bucks to make girl noises, I'm glad Coker is around to pony up the cash.

That sucks. People bringing up his UFC record ignore that Ferguson is his only legit loss in the UFC.

Good move. He probably asked too much considering he's no longer a top 10 and Bellator gets a semi known name.

damn that sucks, would have loved to see him stick around for a few more matches

It's not in Dana's nature to help out a rival promoter, by letting them sign an exciting, top tier LW. Thompson could be a star if UFC had marketed him right and given him a media push.

* puts tin foil hat on: Sounds to me like Josh didn't want to sign with the UFC again (who could blame him, really) and chose to go back with Coker, where he will be treated like a king, given media push, paid more probably, and has freedom over there. Easy decision if u ask me.

Good break for Josh. He'll probably make more at Bellator than in the UFC.

45WW0wy.gif

NOT SURE IF THEY'LL PAY HIM MORE THAN HIS OLD SF CONTRACT, BUT SURELY MORE THAN THE UFC WAS OFFERING ON A NEW DEAL

It's not in Dana's nature to help out a rival promoter, by letting them sign an exciting, top tier LW. Thompson could be a star if UFC had marketed him right and given him a media push.

* puts tin foil hat on: Sounds to me like Josh didn't want to sign with the UFC again (who could blame him, really) and chose to go back with Coker, where he will be treated like a king, given media push, paid more probably, and has freedom over there. Easy decision if u ask me.

Yeah, I figure he must have wanted a lot more than DFW wanted to pay, or else he had simply decided that Zuffa wasn't the right place for him.

Seems like the kind of guy Zuffa would be happy to deprive Bellator of, if it were cost effective.

Dude knocked out Nate Diaz so bad his brother cried...

Why would they not keep him?

Phil davis and Thompson has the same manager. This was no surprise for him moving to Bellator. Coker has a good relationship with Thompson manager team since strikeforce days, I'm guessing any fighters under them who still in ufc will make the move.

Seems like the kind of guy Zuffa would be happy to deprive Bellator of, if it were cost effective.

Exactly. Some might say they didn't resign him because he's 36....but damn he's still got another 3 fights left in him at least. Watch, he'll sign at least a 3 fight deal with Coker. And over there, he can have his own sponsors.

I'm glad to see him going to Bellator, and i have zero doubt many more top fighters will be heading there in the next couple of years. Zuffa seems to be run by monkeys pushing buttons lately.

Makes sense for all parties. He is not of use for UFC at the price he's probably asking for. For Bellator he will help a lot more plus he's got a chance to go for a title.

Exactly. Some might say they didn't resign him because he's 36....but damn he's still got another 3 fights left in him at least. Watch, he'll sign at least a 3 fight deal with Coker. And over there, he can have his own sponsors.

I'm glad to see him going to Bellator, and i have zero doubt many more top fighters will be heading there in the next couple of years. Zuffa seems to be run by monkeys pushing buttons lately.

Depends, there alot more going on behind close doors than we expect. I mean Mendes resign with ufc and his a top fighter. Thompson and Phil aren't getting a title shot any time soon with ufc, I'm thinking now they just want to earn some money with bellator. But has anyone compare how much top fighters make in bellator to ufc fighters

Back