1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Breaking habits: shying away from punches

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by jame1667, Sep 7, 2010.

1. jame1667

jame1667 White Belt

Any tips?

2. jlagman

jlagman Duty Belt

Spar more.

3. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

A drill I like is where you can only work defense while your partner uses offense, but the catch is you have to defend with your back in the corner of the ring. This forces you to watch the punches and use pure defense without the option of running. The MAIN key IMO is to have your partner not throwing with enough power to hurt you because that will reinforce you shying from the punches, maybe throw 40% and practice watching the punches and defending.

4. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

Just again reading this today. Good tips on getting on the inside on your opponent, and deals with avoiding getting hit when you're there.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/closing-gap-101-updated-forgot-exercise-310067/

5. SteelHammer

SteelHammer Green Belt

parts unknown Occupation: asskicker TrainingStyle:
    spar with head shots, in slow motion if u need to, and use counters, bob and weave, etc, don't just lean away from them or block with your arms

6. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

As someone said above, having someone throw offense at you while you've got your back to a corner - worked great for me! I asked them to start slow and gradually speed up, and i made some serious noob gains for my defense in a few weeks.

7. Tsingani

Tsingani White Belt

learn to take them on the top of the head. They don't hurt too much when you get used to it

8. NakMuayFarang

NakMuayFarang White Belt

That did it perfectly for me!

shying away is a natural reaction you need to break it in order to transform it into a new reaction or a new sets or reactions!