breaking guard

solidjitz

White Belt
Reaction score
how come everytime i visit a new gym one of my friends have asked me to check out with them (i train at UFA which is a great gym, he just cant afford it so i try to help him find a good cheaper one) well everytime i go with him they start right away trying to show him subs and sweeps, What happened to the good ol days when they started at point one which is the guard and guard break and go from there.

I seriously dont see the point in these gyms springing up and trying to teach subs without any knowledge of guard break.

Just wanted to get that off my chesty its been pissing me off for weeks.

Didin't you know? All the new guys that walk in train teh UFC and have read Eddie's book. They know the Armbar --> Triangle combo, now we just add in the omoplata.

Voila! All you need to know for BJJ. Rest is just man-hugging and boring

didin't you know? All the new guys that walk in train teh ufc and have read eddie's book. They know the armbar --> triangle combo, now we just add in the omoplata.

Voila! All you need to know for bjj. Rest is just man-hugging and boring

0/10

First thing I teach to most new students is how to fall on the ground, then how to get back up!

I think that is just your school man. The beginner class in my school is pretty much escapes and sweeps with a few basic chokes/locks mixed in.

wow how are you ever going to learn how to hold an opponent or put in a correct move if you cant even pass the guard let alone hold it correctly so you opponent is no danger to you

Instructor asked me to work with someone on their first class on Tuesday. Taught him the basic knee in butt guard break, and a simply pass to side control. Then I taught him an armbar from guard.

I made sure to stress the importance of posture, elbow placement and grips. Not sure if he remembered, I haven't seen him in class since.

they dont teach opening guard every lesson.. There are other students in the class other than you, who probably know how to break open guard and pass, so they would want to learn sweeps or soemthing else.

go to the acedemy for a while and you will get a lesson where instructor shows how to open, and if not you could always ask him.. its not something you should get so riled up about

do you mean you go to a trial or you go to a beginner's class?

a trial will usually show you some subs as it is "cooler" than breaking guard, a trial you don't even know what guard really is.

beginner's class- sometimes you work on something --say guard for a month and then something else the next month.

also, lots of times you can pick up guard passes during rolling and talking to the person you are rolling with.

they dont teach opening guard every lesson.. There are other students in the class other than you, who probably know how to break open guard and pass, so they would want to learn sweeps or soemthing else.

go to the acedemy for a while and you will get a lesson where instructor shows how to open, and if not you could always ask him.. its not something you should get so riled up about

if you read the thread im in UFA which is an academy im trying to find a good place for my younger friend to go he is new to mma. but it seems like all place dislike teaching how to break guard during the trial run of their course

Instructor asked me to work with someone on their first class on Tuesday. Taught him the basic knee in butt guard break, and a simply pass to side control. Then I taught him an armbar from guard.

I made sure to stress the importance of posture, elbow placement and grips. Not sure if he remembered, I haven't seen him in class since.

see thats how i was tought 5 years ago when i started with jitz good going man :icon_chee

do you mean you go to a trial or you go to a beginner's class?

a trial will usually show you some subs as it is "cooler" than breaking guard, a trial you don't even know what guard really is.

beginner's class- sometimes you work on something --say guard for a month and then something else the next month.

also, lots of times you can pick up guard passes during rolling and talking to the person you are rolling with.

Thank you i have been taking him to trial versions at gyms and they dont show guard break, so you saying i should take him to a beginners school or such? :icon_idea

At AKA, Camarillo ,or whoever is teaching that day, pairs you with a blue belt and that blue belt teaches you a drill they call Jiu Jitsu 101. I can't remember the exact way they teach it but it is basically a flow drill were all one does is break guard, pass guard, get side control, mount, and then the other person does a bridge/shoulder roll escape so that the other person starts in guard and does the same sequence. I think this absolutely brilliant as it teaches you all the basics you need to know in one quick drill that can be practiced as many times as necessary before someone starts rolling.
I strongly believe this is the first thing every student of BJJ should learn.
I know there are a lot of great BJJ schools in San Jose/SF but as someone who teaches for a living I think they really know how to teach the game well.

Thank you i have been taking him to trial versions at gyms and they dont show guard break, so you saying i should take him to a beginners school or such? :icon_idea

not a beginner's school,

but a school with a beginners class/blue belt program

Back