breaking grips on belly down armbar

notshayndavis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Anyone got tips for grip breaking on a belly-down armbar.

Usually I've just transitioned to an omaplata, but omaplatas tend to turn into sweeps. Its rare to finish someone with it.

I've really been focusing on owning my submissions lately. I've always just transitioned a lot till I end up in a good position, and I usually do good points wise, but I just don't have a really dangerous submission game. And without that, whats the point of doing jiujitsu right. Might as well just wrestle.

Anyway, tangents aside, thanks for any advice. ^.^

Do you have your opponents thumb direction away from you when attempting the armbar? I can't imagine your partner being able to escape at all unless he is extremely flexible. if you have his palm forced in the right direction, you should be tapping people easily.

Do you have your opponents thumb direction away from you when attempting the armbar? I can't imagine your partner being able to escape at all unless he is extremely flexible. if you have his palm forced in the right direction, you should be tapping people easily.

Nah I meen if his arms not extended because he's grasping his other hand or bicep. Usually when you go for an armbar off someones back, or if they roll you from a mounted armbar while you're still grip fighting and you go belly down to keep from being stacked.

edit: I Should also point out I'm talking about no-gi. In gi, I use the trick where you grab their pant leg and flip them back over.

if you have one arm secured, twist his gripping hand's thumbs by placing your own thumb between his thumb and index finger and that should loosen his grip enough to stretch his arm.

I have no idea what to do if he is gripping his bicep, lol. Out muscle him? I have no idea.

Yeah rolling the guy over seems to be the best choice. If you don't want to go for the omoplata, you can just bring your leg that's on his face back over and keep him in turtle with one hook and work for the other hook.

if you keep a strong grip on the arm you're armbaring, you can use your feet to break his grip if you push on the inside of his far elbow.

Americana grip on the arm and work the arm back and forth; your blade on your forearm will dig into his arm, most guys will let go of thier other sleeve or hand because it sucks for them. I know it sounds weird, but it works like a charm.

Simple. Turn it out towards the legs. Get the far arm deep and torque it. I can't explain it much better without a demonstration but it works for me most of the time.

Back