Breaking down Vasyl Lomachenko

Also he goes onto saying you shouldn't ever stand in the middle of the ring and catch/block punches? Is this ludacris or true?

To be honest, that part sounded like crap to me )) But anyway, the author makes good videos and has some interesting observations usually ...

To be honest, that part sounded like crap to me )) But anyway, the author makes good videos and has some interesting observations ...

He's not saying dont try to block punches. He's saying if you're in the middle of the ring with all the room in the world to move, it's stupid to stand there and let someone like lomachenko punch holes in your guard freely.

He's not saying dont try to block punches. He's saying if you're in the middle of the ring with all the room in the world to move, it's stupid to stand there and let someone like lomachenko punch holes in your guard freely.

That makes sense - I thought he says in general not to block punches in the center.

What do you think about the angles that Loma got in this fight ?
I mean, f..ck, sometimes it looked like a demonstration and even too exaggerated.
To be honest, I don't remember any fight where one fighter took so many clean angles on another. It even looked unreal ...

I was waiting for this thread to get bumped. Lomachenko's control and manipulation of distance were masterful.

His footwork is amazing. I love this guy (as a boxer).
However, at this point, I think he'll have problems with a fast starter who can also move. Hopefully, his handlers don't make the Amir Khan (vs. Prescott) /Dmitry Salita (vs. Khan) mistake.

His footwork is amazing. I love this guy (as a boxer).
However, at this point, I think he'll have problems with a fast starter who can also move. Hopefully, his handlers don't make the Amir Khan (vs. Prescott) /Dmitry Salita (vs. Khan) mistake.

He will have no problems with anyone at this weight he already beat Russell who I think allthough untested before his fight with Lomachenko proved in the Gonzalez fight how good he is he is possibly the 3rd best guy at 126 and certainly top 5 and Russell can move and is a fast starter

The only fight left for lomachenko at 126 is Walters if he beats Walters and I hope that fight happens soon he should move up if he beats Walters there's no challange left.
He would annihilate Mares and stop him no doubt, he already beat Rusell, Santa Cruz has looked super average in recent fights and loses to a lot of guys let alone lomachenko and Rigondeaux is already small at 122 and could fight at 115 he won't ever fight at 126 and plus he is old and looked vulnerabel in his last fight he would get stopped.

if Walters can't beat him then no one at 126 and probably the only one at 130 with a chance would be Gamboa.

That said Walters does have a chance allthough he would justifiably be the underdog

I was waiting for this thread to get bumped. Lomachenko's control and manipulation of distance were masterful.

The angles he creates - fck, even somebody who never trained a single day in any combat sport - can probably recognize a beautiful technique. I mean, his angles are so clean that sometimes it looks exaggerated. You can literally see him behind his opponent's back - since Roy Jones days I think I haven't seen anything like that ...

What I really liked was his fast pitter patter punches to close up his opponent and then land heavy shots in the openings, like GGG but much more exaggerated. Such a great demonstration of not only how you don't need to throw every shot with power but how you can use it to befuddle and open up your opponent. Pretty sure I saw him throw a sextuple jab at one point.

What I really liked was his fast pitter patter punches to close up his opponent and then land heavy shots in the openings

I liked that as well. Interesting thing is that his father (his coach\corner man as well) told him explicitly "not to load up" on his punches. He told something like - "you want to hit him hard, but no need for that - just throw light punches, draw him out of position and punish". Also he requested to secure inside angles on opponent ...

You can see that this was an adjustment as initially Lomachenko kind of "forgot" about that approach ...

You can see that this was an adjustment as initially Lomachenko kind of "forgot" about that approach ...

Yeah he looked like he was really relaxed in there. It was interesting to see how he felt out his opponents for the first two rounds, he didn't seem to mind letting the guy hit him with fairly hard shots albeit blocked to test his power. I'd actually seen some heavy bag work outs where he specifically did the same 6 punch high speed but light combinations and I thought it was some sort of special speed drill but to actually see how he applied it so effectively in a bout made it obvious what it was really for.

He will have no problems with anyone at this weight he already beat Russell who I think allthough untested before his fight with Lomachenko proved in the Gonzalez fight how good he is he is possibly the 3rd best guy at 126 and certainly top 5 and Russell can move and is a fast starter

The only fight left for lomachenko at 126 is Walters if he beats Walters and I hope that fight happens soon he should move up if he beats Walters there's no challange left.
He would annihilate Mares and stop him no doubt, he already beat Rusell, Santa Cruz has looked super average in recent fights and loses to a lot of guys let alone lomachenko and Rigondeaux is already small at 122 and could fight at 115 he won't ever fight at 126 and plus he is old and looked vulnerabel in his last fight he would get stopped.

if Walters can't beat him then no one at 126 and probably the only one at 130 with a chance would be Gamboa.

That said Walters does have a chance allthough he would justifiably be the underdog

Few things wrong with this. For one, Gamboa is no longer near 126. Secondly Lomo isn't invincible as those first few rounds against this Puerto Rican nobody showed. And leave us not forget how effectively SALIDO neutralized Lomo's boxing acumen. Sure we could chalk that up to first fight jitters if a) he wasn't being heralded as the greatest Amateur EVER and b) he wasn't so further heralded as an impossible to beat Pro. IMO the mystique of Eastern Bloc invincibility is getting a little out of hand. Walters poses a HUGE threat to Lomo because he isn't going to give a shit about all the fancy moves in the World and he has an impeccable sense of timing. Rigondeaux is just as good a boxer and Lomo isn't mammothly bigger than he is at 126. I like Lomo, but disrupting his rhythm is not beyond the realm of possibility.

Would you bet on Walters if that fight happens ?

My feeling is that Lomachenko will have a tough time against Walters. Walters is VERY gifted physically and on top of it is a good boxer.

Few things wrong with this. For one, Gamboa is no longer near 126. Secondly Lomo isn't invincible as those first few rounds against this Puerto Rican nobody showed. And leave us not forget how effectively SALIDO neutralized Lomo's boxing acumen. Sure we could chalk that up to first fight jitters if a) he wasn't being heralded as the greatest Amateur EVER and b) he wasn't so further heralded as an impossible to beat Pro. IMO the mystique of Eastern Bloc invincibility is getting a little out of hand. Walters poses a HUGE threat to Lomo because he isn't going to give a shit about all the fancy moves in the World and he has an impeccable sense of timing. Rigondeaux is just as good a boxer and Lomo isn't mammothly bigger than he is at 126. I like Lomo, but disrupting his rhythm is not beyond the realm of possibility.

Yeah i meant Gamboa at 130 I think Gamboa is moving back down to 130

And I don't think Lomachenko is unbeatable at all I just think very few can do it at least at 126. Rigondeaux has the skill and basically everything but the size and whether him getting knocked down constantly is chin or lack of concentration or both he's vulnerable and most importantly he's getting old he had a long career if you count his amateur career and is ancient for his division.

Waltersn can win but i think he's the only one at 126 allthough I do think that Russell does better in a rematch but I don't think he would win.

I think Walters can engate nsome of Loma's lateral movement by controling distance which he does well and with his timing and power and overall skill he's dangerous. I also wonder how his jab looks vs southpaws some fighters fights southpaws as if it's another day in the office and some fighters have their game reduced by a lot when fighting a lefty (or converted righty in Lomachenko's case)

Loma is certainly not invincible, but judging things by the first few rounds would by remiss if it went unmentioned that Lomachenko stated straight after the fight that he used the first two rounds as a feeling out process. No coincidence that round 3 comes and he starts lighting him up.

I don't think the Salido fight was jitters, it was a mix of pride, inexperience and some misguided sense of honour. He refused to hit low back, he refused to complain to the ref, so he tried clinching which as far as I could see was the only way he'd left himself to deal with the problem of the low blows.

Then this fight comes and we see him not only theatrically complaning about pretty much every single low blow but he intentionally lands a heavy one himself. The result? His opponent gets deducted two points for low blows and probably wasn't far off a DQ if he dared land one more. I don't know if his team had much say in the ref for the contest but it wouldn't surprise me as he was pretty hot on the low blows which seemed marginal in many cases.

All that said Walters is a hard fight for him and Rigondeaux, well to me that's the fight of the decade not Pac/May. And I'd favour Rigondeaux if they meet sooner rather than later as he has the edge in speed, is less conventional and moves so well. If it happens post-2 years I think the pendulum swings toward Loma who will only get better with experience and age will be even more in his favour.

My feeling is that Lomachenko will have a tough time against Walters. Walters is VERY gifted physically and on top of it is a good boxer.

I wouldn't make a bet on that bout.

Yeah i meant Gamboa at 130 I think Gamboa is moving back down to 130

And I don't think Lomachenko is unbeatable at all I just think very few can do it at least at 126. Rigondeaux has the skill and basically everything but the size and whether him getting knocked down constantly is chin or lack of concentration or both he's vulnerable and most importantly he's getting old he had a long career if you count his amateur career and is ancient for his division.

Waltersn can win but i think he's the only one at 126 allthough I do think that Russell does better in a rematch but I don't think he would win.

I think Walters can engate nsome of Loma's lateral movement by controling distance which he does well and with his timing and power and overall skill he's dangerous. I also wonder how his jab looks vs southpaws some fighters fights southpaws as if it's another day in the office and some fighters have their game reduced by a lot when fighting a lefty (or converted righty in Lomachenko's case)

Russel would definitely make it more interesting. It's rare to say but I think he actually got better after that ass whoopin'. But he's a pretty fiercely competitive guy, so it's not surprising. And I get you, this post sounds very reasonable but initially I felt you were making it sound like anyone at 126 gets monkey-stomped by Lomo.

Loma is certainly not invincible, but judging things by the first few rounds would by remiss if it went unmentioned that Lomachenko stated straight after the fight that he used the first two rounds as a feeling out process. No coincidence that round 3 comes and he starts lighting him up.

I don't think the Salido fight was jitters, it was a mix of pride, inexperience and some misguided sense of honour. He refused to hit low back, he refused to complain to the ref, so he tried clinching which as far as I could see was the only way he'd left himself to deal with the problem of the low blows.

Then this fight comes and we see him not only theatrically complaning about pretty much every single low blow but he intentionally lands a heavy one himself. The result? His opponent gets deducted two points for low blows and probably wasn't far off a DQ if he dared land one more. I don't know if his team had much say in the ref for the contest but it wouldn't surprise me as he was pretty hot on the low blows which seemed marginal in many cases.

All that said Walters is a hard fight for him and Rigondeaux, well to me that's the fight of the decade not Pac/May. And I'd favour Rigondeaux if they meet sooner rather than later as he has the edge in speed, is less conventional and moves so well. If it happens post-2 years I think the pendulum swings toward Loma who will only get better with experience and age will be even more in his favour.

Now look who is putting stock in something a fighter said. Jaja. I don't think Lomo was taking punches on purpose. I think that Puerto Rican kid wasn't a total scrub and it caught him by surprise.

I'm with you on the Salido fight, I was stating people's collective reasoning. But as to what actually happened, absolutely. Like Bika vs. Ward. Bika gave Ward a hard time because he wouldn't cooperate and was willing to dirty up the pool to BE uncooperative. Salido has a History of making better fighters than he is look like shit by not going along with their M.O.

I just hope Arum doesn't ruin this one the same way he ruined Gamboa-Juanma by waiting too long.

Now look who is putting stock in something a fighter said. Jaja. I don't think Lomo was taking punches on purpose. I think that Puerto Rican kid wasn't a total scrub and it caught him by surprise.

I'm with you on the Salido fight, I was stating people's collective reasoning. But as to what actually happened, absolutely. Like Bika vs. Ward. Bika gave Ward a hard time because he wouldn't cooperate and was willing to dirty up the pool to BE uncooperative. Salido has a History of making better fighters than he is look like shit by not going along with their M.O.

Does Lomachenko not strike you as a bit of straight die? It's not bhop we are talking about here. As time goes on he may well become more *ahem 'professional'. The purposeful low blow retaliation was an indication.

It looked to me when I watched the fight like Loma was feeling out his opponent, I've no doubt he didn't intend to get hit as hard as he did but sometimes that's what happens when you see what your opponent has. And he mounted virtually no offence of his own so yeah I do believe him on this occasion. Then round 3 starts and he's suddenly all guns blazing and starts to easily pick his opponent apart. Seems like something he'd was doing on purpose.

Salido won the fight by doing what he had to do. It would be interesting to see a rematch down the line but with out same referee it would be a very different fight not matter how what Salido does short of bringing a knife into the ring.

Back