Breaking down Vasyl Lomachenko

Tokyo2020

White Belt
Reaction score
Vasyl Lomachenko is the number 1 p4p amatuer boxer in the world. I love the way he fights as he utilizes his very good fotwork to get in and out and also bobs and weaves to get close to opponents similar to a mike tyson but uses his feet alot more. But can you guys the experts break down his style even more for me? I ask this because as lf now i am studying alot of film about him and trying to incorporate alot of what he does. Me and him our bodies are very similar as in height and reach and how the body build looks. I also fight at lightweight and really lose no weight at all when fighting because i am always at or below 60kg. I used to be a boxer that constatley sticks his jab out like alot of the soviet boxers do but found it hard to use that style against guys that are taller than me. Talked to my trainer and we decided that fighting close mid range while moving my head in with the good footwork i have (although nowhere near lomachenko) utiliIng angles would best fit me in the lightweight divison. So sorry this was long but please explain to me in detail Vasyl Lomachenko's style pros and cons in detail.

I'll take a crack at this before Sinister or one of the actual experts shows up. I've been watching a lot of Lomachenko lately and was just thinking of doing a thread on him. He's awesome.

It's good that you have a good jab to work off of. Vasyl's flurries are what catches the eye, but he works off his jab well. pretty standard, he'll stick the guy with it until he can nail down timing and see a couple of the guys reactions get repeated, and then he goes to work.

Compound attacks are the name of his game. He'll jab his way in, 2-4 shots, move his head or feet to either dodge a counter or reset himself in a better position, rinse, and repeat a couple times until the opponent has begun to adapt. At which point he'll step out and resume the cycle

At risk of sounding retardedly obvious, being a southpaw is very important to his style. A lot of his footwork superiority is based off of the fact that he consistently resets himself to maintain a superior outside angle.

A lot of his angles are results of him turning an opponent and nailing them in the reaction time. Watch Petrosyan do this to people all the freaking time, Vasyl uses the same basic technique. Only reason it looks different is because he prefers blasting out four punches where Petro might take his time to aim a single one.

Random: Am I the only one reminded a bit of pacquiao when i watch Lomachenko fight? not to say they're exactly the same, but there are som tactical similarities there.

He has one hell of a tough opponent picked out for his pro debut. i hope he's not playing with fire.

I notice that he constantly moves to the left when fighting southpaws to avoid that left hand and same for when he fights orthodox he moves to the right to avoid right hands. I tryed this very effective lsnded much more punches in sparring a couple weeks ago.

I'll take a crack at this before Sinister or one of the actual experts shows up. I've been watching a lot of Lomachenko lately and was just thinking of doing a thread on him. He's awesome.

It's good that you have a good jab to work off of. Vasyl's flurries are what catches the eye, but he works off his jab well. pretty standard, he'll stick the guy with it until he can nail down timing and see a couple of the guys reactions get repeated, and then he goes to work.

Compound attacks are the name of his game. He'll jab his way in, 2-4 shots, move his head or feet to either dodge a counter or reset himself in a better position, rinse, and repeat a couple times until the opponent has begun to adapt. At which point he'll step out and resume the cycle

At risk of sounding retardedly obvious, being a southpaw is very important to his style. A lot of his footwork superiority is based off of the fact that he consistently resets himself to maintain a superior outside angle.

A lot of his angles are results of him turning an opponent and nailing them in the reaction time. Watch Petrosyan do this to people all the freaking time, Vasyl uses the same basic technique. Only reason it looks different is because he prefers blasting out four punches where Petro might take his time to aim a single one.

Random: Am I the only one reminded a bit of pacquiao when i watch Lomachenko fight? not to say they're exactly the same, but there are som tactical similarities there.

He has one hell of a tough opponent picked out for his pro debut. i hope he's not playing with fire.
I think he does a little like pacquiao flurries endless stamina. But he is really right handed and what i see constantly uses right hooks uppercuts much more than his left

Sure. tactics 101. In his case I don't think he's as worried about avoiding the back hand *(although that's a factor) as he is maintaining a dominant angle for his footwork, which is something that will happen incidentally. probably also the reasopn you landed better when you tried it.

I will add few thing to mentioned above:

Against taller opponents he normally maintains the distance where he is almost on the end of their punches. So when they attack he blocks\slips and move in. Or just does half step back, make them miss\over commit and move in.

In short, he is always close enough to move in\counter attack.

When he is already winning on points, he sometimes lets the opponent to lead and tries to counter off the defensive movement.

His jab looks more like a range finder.

In a lot of cases, he fakes inside slip, and after that slips outside of opponent jab and moves in. Always works for him !

Good point about the right hand. Pacquiao turned into a true two handed fighter under Roach, but you could always see he wanted that left and he wanted it bad

Boris the more I watch of his fights the more I get the feeling he has a VERY finely tuned sense of distance and timing he relies on

Boris the more I watch of his fights the more I get the feeling he has a VERY finely tuned sense of distance and timing he relies on

I agree with that. The way he is able to maintain the distance always amazed me.

I would also add to that that his rhythm\feinting game is all about mixing in-out motion with slips left and right .

Few words about his defense - it looks to me like a VERY solid one!
At every moment of the fight he has three layers of it - movement on the feet, defensive movement with his body (like slips) and and blocking/parryinh with his hands.

Very hard to land clean on him

Watch this video. It is actually good demonstration of everything mentioned here

[YT]nVbPSZedYd4[/YT]

Its a beuaty to watch him fight and as an aspriing teen and amatuer boxer this guy is a role model inside and outside the ring. I just hope he makes it big in america and europe as of now i can see him giving champions of his weight class trouble just by style. I relize his stamina is an issue because of how long the fight can go but his style is classic but also modern. His father is a great coach seeing how he taught vasyl all of this. His style is not like alot of the soviet fighters is it more of a inbetween american and soviet.

Technically he looks perfect to me.

The only thing that worries me about him in pros it is quality of his punch.

Not saying that everybody should be knockout machine, but in order for the technique to work, opponents should have at least some respect for your punch.

Not clear on that one with him ...

Technically he looks perfect to me.

The only thing that worries me about him in pros it is quality of his punch.

Not saying that everybody should be knockout machine, but in order for the technique to work, opponents should have at least some respect for your punch.

Not clear on that one with him ...
I think hes like a bernard hopkins doesnt ounch hard but has enough power to keep the opponent alert at all times because if it lands cleanly theres a high possablity that you might get ko'd

Yes, I hope that he will be at least like Ward and Mayweather in that regard.

Looks like it is really not an easy job to keep a good guy with a style like that on the end of the jab.

Hope there was one like that in super heavyweight division...

Last edited:
the thing that stands out about lomachenko is his high guard, that along his fast feet and weaving make it hard for his opponents to hit him clean. he's similar to paqcuiao in that way, but what I don't see in him is the power in the left hand. Paqcuiao is able to generate great power inspite of the high guard cause of the tremendous drive he gets (just look at his legs). Lomachenko by compare is relatively top heavy. I wonder just how far he can make it as he is. its doubtful a guy who is trained by his father and has been so successful will make any drastic changes in his style unless he first tastes defeat a time or two.

I really doubt he would taste deafeat in the pros. His father seems very knowledgeable about boxing and i feel that he has a good chin good power and if he were to fight for a world title in his 2nd pro fight then i do think he can get it depending on who he fights though. Put him in there with a monster like uchiyama takashi hes got alot of trouble but put him in with salido then you got a world title.

I can see the Pacquiao comparisons but beyond the speed, and work rate I think they are different fighters. Certainly early Pacquiao was more of an athletic brawler, he's become more refined but in terms of technical skill Lomachenko is a cut above.

For me Lomachenko is the king of the feint. He feints with his footwork, he feints with head movement and he feints with his punches. He is constantly feinting and it bamboozles his opponents. Even when he is throwing actual punches he'll often throw rapid but relatively light combinations just to distract his opponent so he can move to a better angle and hit them with a heavier shots. His ability to angle off is only matched by Mayweather.

For me he's p4p best only behind PBF, Rigondeaux and maybe Ward. He really doesn't do much wrong technically, as well as having great speed, great timing and fantastic movement he has a tremendous work rate. For me he's like a cross between PBF and Manny just without Manny's power but he still hits plenty hard enough to hurt his opponents.

I don't think he'll have any trouble with conditioning in the pros he's one of the fittest athletes on the planet. I've never seen even a hint of him getting tired. He really doesn't seem to have any weaknesses. His defence is great, his offence is great, seems to have a good chin as far as we can see at amateur level and he has great speed and conditioning. He could hit harder but that's about all.

For me Lomachenko is the king of the feint. He feints with his footwork, he feints with head movement and he feints with his punches. He is constantly feinting and it bamboozles his opponents. Even when he is throwing actual punches he'll often throw rapid but relatively light combinations just to distract his opponent so he can move to a better angle and hit them with a heavier shots. His ability to angle off is only matched by Mayweather.

Completely agree with that. His feinting is out of this world. For me that is what distinguish him the most from other boxers. That is his signature style.

Also unlike Pac he is always balanced.

Last edited:
How would i be able to improve my footwork to be even a step closer to his? Pivoting and such i undertsand but i feel like i use all of it at the wrong time.

Back