Breaking Bad interview (spoilers for those who haven't seen the show)

The alternative is to structure your series narrative better instead of just setting up a makeshift story arch to lead to a very generic resolution.

I'll pass this along to Vince Gilligan. Maybe his next show will be more successful.

I'll pass this along to Vince Gilligan. Maybe his next show will be more successful.

What does that have to do with anything?

What does a show's finale have to do with how successful the series was as a whole?

Oh, I'm betting you're one of the "don't criticize someone unless you can do their job better crowd." You know, the crowd who would lead to the extinction of popular media.

Maybe they could continue the series with Pinkman and have Walter White as a ghostly sidekick?

Jesse went back to meth curled up in some basement I bet you.

I think Todd & co left him with an extremely loose anoos.

What does that have to do with anything?

What does a show's finale have to do with how successful the series was as a whole?

Oh, I'm betting you're one of the "don't criticize someone unless you can do their job better crowd." You know, the crowd who would lead to the extinction of popular media.

Yes

The alternative is to structure your series narrative better instead of just setting up a makeshift story arch to lead to a very generic resolution.
It's an "arc" when discussing theater or other works of fiction, but your attempt at sounding erudite there was cute.

It's an "arc" when discussing theater or other works of fiction, but your attempt at sounding erudite there was cute.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Story arcs are most closely associated with continuous storytelling like TV series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_arc

Story arcs on television have existed for decades, and are common in many countries where multi-episode storylines are the norm (an example being the UK's Doctor Who), as well as most anime series.

Many arc-based series in past decades, such as V, were often short-lived and found it difficult to attract new viewers; they also rarely appear in traditional syndication. However, the rise of DVD retail and DVR of television series has worked in arc-based productions' favor as the standard season collection format allows the viewer to have easy access to the relevant episodes. One area of television where story arcs have always thrived, however, is in the realm of the soap opera, and often episodic series have been derisively referred to as "soap operas" when they have adopted story arcs.

Arc-based series draw and reward dedicated viewers, and fans of a particular show follow and discuss different story arcs independently from particular episodes. Story arcs are sometimes split into subarcs if deemed significant by fans, making it easy to refer to certain episodes if their production order titles are unknown. Episodes not relevant to story arcs are sometimes dismissed as filler by fans, but might be referred to as self-contained or stand-alone episodes by producers.

But your attempt at sounding erudite there was cute

You have no idea what you're talking about. Story arcs are most closely associated with continuous storytelling like TV series

Tread-Lightly-qgyxl8.jpg

Yes, I've used the term "arc" in reference to television many times on Sherdog. A term I've never used before is "arch". It's just not a mistake someone who has studied the term and seen it in print would make.

Your attempt at rebutting the fact that you exposed your own ignorance is cuter, still.

I loved how it ended so I would be fine with not redoing anything unless they retconned the whole thing from like season 2.

This was so obvious. Worst ending I've seen in a long time. I mean he just fucking laid down...

Yes, I've used the term "arc" in reference to television many times on Sherdog. A term I've never used before is "arch". It's just not a mistake someone who has studied the term and seen it in print would make.

Your attempt at rebutting the fact that you exposed your own ignorance is cuter, still.

Ahh, yes, a smart phone auto-correction makes my entire point invalid. I'm sorry you couldn't use context clues to remove a singular letter "h" from the post. You have my sincerest apologies, bro beans.

It ended so perfectly I don't think they should mess with it. Plus he'll probably be back as Walter White on Better Call Saul.

Agreed with it ending perfectly. But I doubt he'll be on the prequel series.

He was a straight edge high school science teacher before the show. If he has a role in which he actually 'broke bad' before Breaking Bad it'll cheapen the evolution his character made in the original show.

Next season in House of Cards, Frank Underwood will be visiting a logging community in the northwest. In the background, viewers will be able to see a former blood spatter expert from Miami and a former high school teacher from Albuquerque wearing flannel shirts and sharing a thermos of coffee.

Ahh, yes, a smart phone auto-correction makes my entire point invalid. I'm sorry you couldn't use context clues to remove a singular letter "h" from the post. You have my sincerest apologies, bro beans.
Neither Swipe nor Google keyboards autocorrect "arc" to "arch", nor would I presume do others. The only way they wouldn't is if you used "arch" regularly enough that the logical algorithm kicked in, and even then you'd have to miss the correction; yet your posts ITT up to that point were rather fastidious, and even included a multi-quote with a link attached in your rebuttal. Then you couldn't resist objecting to the notion that arcs are used in "theater and other fiction" (i.e. television) with the claim that "Story arcs are most closely associated with continuous storytelling like TV series".

No, they're not. The concept is inextricably and forever linked to Greek dramatic theory. The concept has been invigorated in contemporary American popular culture largely because of The Sopranos, and the rise of arc-based dramatic television. Just stop. I know you think you're making the right gestures, but to those of us who speak the language, you're just a fool on global television gesticulating nonsensically at Nelson Mandela's funeral.

Neither Swipe nor Google keyboards autocorrect "arc" to "arch", nor would I presume do others. The only way they wouldn't is if you used "arch" regularly enough that the logical algorithm kicked in, and even then you'd have to miss the correction; yet your posts ITT up to that point were rather fastidious, and even included a multi-quote with a link attached in your rebuttal. Then you couldn't resist objecting to the notion that arcs are used in "theater and other fiction" (i.e. television) with the claim that "Story arcs are most closely associated with continuous storytelling like TV series".

No, they're not. The concept is inextricably and forever linked to Greek dramatic theory. The concept has been invigorated in contemporary American popular culture largely because of The Sopranos, and the rise of arc-based dramatic television. Just stop. I know you think you're making the right gestures, but to those of us who speak the language, you're just a fool on global television gesticulating nonsensically at Nelson Mandela's funeral.

My god, the theatrics. It's as if your posting style aims to mimic the live theater itself. Yes, I realize the concept of a story arc wasn't invented by the American sitcom. That does not detract from the fact that the term is most closely associate modernly with television series and elongated narratives. That's what I said and that much is true. The concept of the arc itself describes the structure of the story, hence the usage of a term that is geometrically translatable. I do not specialize in Greek theater, but this much is common knowledge (yes, supported by my enrollment in a theater course when I was 20). That does not offset the fact that the term is still most commonly (at least in circles that don't deal exclusively with discussions of live theater) used to describe the breaking up of large stories using smaller story lines that are not intrinsic to the story's broadest narrative.

Also, I got on my Rugby just to make sure about the auto-correct thing. And you're wrong. And I don't think I've used either word more than a handful of times anyways.

Lastly, the last sentence of your post is just laughable. If you're going to insult someone with the flamboyant grandeur of a Glee member trying to impersonate Sartre, try to at least make a metaphor that make sense.

My god, the theatrics. It's as if your posting style aims to mimic the live theater itself. Yes, I realize the concept of a story arc wasn't invented by the American sitcom. That does not detract from the fact that the term is most closely associate modernly with television series and elongated narratives. That's what I said and that much is true. The concept of the arc itself describes the structure of the story, hence the usage of a term that is geometrically translatable. I do not specialize in Greek theater, but this much is common knowledge (yes, supported by my enrollment in a theater course when I was 20). That does not offset the fact that the term is still most commonly (at least in circles that don't deal exclusively with discussions of live theater) used to describe the breaking up of large stories using smaller story lines that are not intrinsic to the story's broadest narrative.

Also, I got on my Rugby just to make sure about the auto-correct thing. And you're wrong. And I don't think I've used either word more than a handful of times anyways.

Lastly, the last sentence of your post is just laughable. If you're going to insult someone with the flamboyant grandeur of a Glee member trying to impersonate Sartre, try to at least make a metaphor that make sense.
I don't need more of your 20/20 Google Cliff Notes. I wasn't the one spouting off a term unfamiliar to me.

Back