*** Breaking Bad Discussion " Team Todd" edition ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proclaiming victory is a lot easier than actually emerging victorious, I commend the efficiency of his approach.

I am not aware of any history, he asked a question, I answered it, he went completely berserk.

And denying victory is a lot easier than both emerging victorious and claiming it because you know if you did the latter I'd force you to answer questions you don't have the capacity to. You might even start misusing terms again, fumbling around for the exit.

And denying victory is a lot easier than both emerging victorious and claiming it because you know if you did the latter I'd force you to answer questions you don't have the capacity to do. You might even start misusing terms again, fumbling around for the exit.

Judges exist for a reason son.

cecilpeoples.jpg

If no one else has anything for Professor Meal I'll be taking a short hiatus from this thread to watch football and think about how great I am.

Until next time.

I thought this would be an interesting theme, but there aren't enough characters to make it work.

jrCgEvEAOl3vZ.png

Every show has done it.

The Wire turned Omar into Spiderman.

In fairness, that actually happened. Omar was based on a couple of different real life people, and one of them:

actually did jump out a window during a gunfight. The only difference is in real life it was 6 stories instead of 5. The writers changed it because they thought what actually happened was too unrealistic, heh

In fairness, that actually happened. Omar was based on a couple of different real life people, and one of them:

actually did jump out a window during a gunfight. The only difference is in real life it was 6 stories instead of 5. The writers changed it because they thought what actually happened was too unrealistic, heh

Oh yeah, I remember hearing that.

Insane.

I think the twin choosing an axe was to build suspense versus what you propose, which I guess is that the writers somehow painted themselves into a corner and needed a quick and neat resolution. Not likely considering it would have been much easier to re-write in Hank shooting one less bullet so he could defend himself against the twin. Deus ex machina is commonly seen in movies and series at their conclusion when a "god from a machine" is needed to save the writers from the corner they've written themselves into. In a single scene, such as the one we're discussing, if the writer needs to be saved from himself not a lot needs to be un-done to do it. It would take much more writing, in this case, to cop out then to just re-write a few things.

Regarding your other examples: I think you more or less just want to know the potential characters in play before it's ever really needed. That's fine and all but it's not deux ex machina when these characters are introduced, even if yes, they are used to resolve something. In the case of the fake Heisenberg, for example, I thought it was both a comedic resolution and an apt display of sleazy Saul's connections. Personally, I have no heartburn with it. I think this might be lost on you potentially because you might have recently learned what deus ex machina is and are eager to use it as often as possible.

You're in a universe where a chemistry teacher with a DEA agent brother-in-law with a hard-on for meth cooks chose to go into the meth making business. If you can believe this, you can believe there's a guy that goes to jail for a living. You can't really pick and choose what to bitch about and slap the deux ex machina label on everything. I mean, you can, it just doesn't mean it's right.

I can link you up some posts in the past of me using the phrase Deus ex machina. A quick one from earlier in the year. http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/79764827-post111.html. It's a phrase that is gonna get used a lot when discussing tv series, especially ones with a lot of suspense. And in common usage the phrase isn't limited to a endings.

Whatever you want to call it, bailing out characters with cheap devices is bad writing. And again, I'm fine with suspension of disbelief. I pointed out the new identity guy not being an example of bad writing because it's been in play. But using a sudden new character to just come in and immediately eliminate the danger to the main characters isn't the same thing. Comedic relief and Saul's sleaziness are cop outs. Saul being a sleazy lawyer was already established. This scene served no purpose other than to have some lame suspense. These types of things, in any show, are almost universally considered bad by most people because they are. And the quality of writing isn't as limited in scope as you make it out to be. You not having a problem with bad writing doesn't make it good.

If during the shootout, Hank suddenly found a gun cache underneath him that was left by some other person at some other time and he used it to fight his way out and survive, would you have a problem with that? It doesn't seem so. Would you chalk it up to the show simply needing suspense and a way to get Hank out of it? I'm not sure if it's all that different than the killer suddenly deciding to very casually go get his ax with a gun and round in view and a foot away from Hank. It's essentially the same thing. Simply bad tv reminding us of something we would see on some lesser show. You can't dismiss criticism because you're willing to accept crappy events. Your willingness doesn't make them any less crappy.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I remember hearing that.

Insane.

Yeah, I tend to justify a lot of stuff in TV and movies because it's not as weird as stuff I've actually heard of happening. professional criminals can be an odd bunch. I've known a few and their priorities and outlook and what's wrong or right is unpredictable as hell. I knew a guy that who was total aryan brotherhood, and he did a stint in Folsom if Im not mistaken. Complete racist, and his cellmate was a black dude. They both got out around the same time and they're actually good friends. I asked him once how that worked with his uh..."outlook"... on things. And he told me, with complete seriousness, "Because he's not a ******. I just don't like ******s". (The N word)To this day I still scratch my head over that one.

Although Jessie in that hole is pretty absurd.

Yeah, I tend to justify a lot of stuff in TV and movies because it's not as weird as stuff I've actually heard of happening. professional criminals can be an odd bunch. I've known a few and their priorities and outlook and what's wrong or right is unpredictable as hell. I knew a guy that who was total aryan brotherhood, and he did a stint in Folsom if Im not mistaken. Complete racist, and his cellmate was a black dude. They both got out around the same time and they're actually good friends. I asked him once how that worked with his uh..."outlook"... on things. And he told me, with complete seriousness, "Because he's not a ******. I just don't like ******s". (The N word)To this day I still scratch my head over that one.

Although Jessie in that hole is pretty absurd.

And I'm definitely not going to mention how the police can have an instant trace on a cell call when they're ready for it.

First of all, fuck Meth Damon.
Secondly, fuck the wire. I could only stand 4 episodes. How in the hell some people consider it the second best series ever is beyond me. The Shield is obviously the second.

Team Jesse!!!!

aaron%20paul%20bruised%20face%20breaking%20bad.png

thank you for this. Now I realize it's all make-up. That was the most brutal scene in all series, seeing Jesse absolutely mangled and psychologically turned into a living death.

I can link you up some posts in the past of me using the phrase Deus ex machina. A quick one from earlier in the year. http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/79764827-post111.html. It's a phrase that is gonna get used a lot when discussing tv series, especially ones with a lot of suspense. And in common usage the phrase isn't limited to a endings.

Cool, so you learned it 7 months ago. I wasn't that far off.

Whatever you want to call it, bailing out characters with cheap devices is bad writing. And again, I'm fine with suspension of disbelief. I pointed out the new identity guy not being an example of bad writing because it's been in play. But using a sudden new character to just come in and immediately eliminate the danger to the main characters isn't the same thing. Comedic relief and Saul's sleaziness are cop outs. Saul being a sleazy lawyer was already established. This scene served no purpose other than to have some lame suspense. These types of things, in any show, are almost universally considered bad by most people because they are. And the quality of writing isn't as limited in scope as you make it out to be. You not having a problem with bad writing doesn't make it good.

It may not have been the best moment on the show but it's far from bad. Fake Heisenberg was 4 episodes after Saul Goodman's introduction to the show. He wasn't THAT established of a character, obviously; and so it was a great way to do a few things, all of which have been discussed. My point stands.

If during the shootout, Hank suddenly found a gun cache underneath him that was left by some other person at some other time and he used it to fight his way out and survive, would you have a problem with that? It doesn't seem so. Would you chalk it up to the show simply needing suspense and a way to get Hank out of it? I'm not sure if it's all that different than the killer suddenly deciding to very casually go get his ax with a gun and round in view and a foot away from Hank. It's essentially the same thing. Simply bad tv reminding us of something we would see on some lesser show.

Your use of hyperbole actually works against you here because what you did is demonstrate deux ex machina pretty well and by contrast show that what occurred could only be construed as such by someone looking to find fault in pretty solid writing. It's cool, we get it - you think a show that is currently a 9.4 on IMDB and a 10/10 on other ratings sites is bad.

You can't dismiss criticism because you're willing to accept crappy events. Your willingness doesn't make them any less crappy

I think the impasse here will be what constitutes a "crappy event". Anyone, but typically internet kids glad to have a forum on which to complain, will do so even when it makes them silly because what they're complaining about is highly good television by nearly everyone's standards. From this we can determine you're either someone exceedingly educated in cinema and literature unmatched by your peers or just a guy with a desire to nitpick. Maybe both, but it's most likely the latter since if it were the former you'd be too busy handing out awards for this show with the rest of your ilk, not posting on Sherdog.

Debate over. Please consult my signature if you have any questions.

Edit - after I looked into it further, fake Heisenberg was the same episode Saul Goodman made his debut. Yes, already established indeed.

Last edited:
Secondly, fuck the wire. I could only stand 4 episodes. How in the hell some people consider it the second best series ever is beyond me. The Shield is obviously the second.
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Walt Jr was a real douche in this last episode.

Walt was simply disarming skyler (who pulled a knife on her husband) and he calls the cops on him? What a bitch.

Moreover I feel that Walt wasn't responsible for Hank, for one Walt warned Hank to back off a few episodes ago, but due to ego Hank pursued him anyway. Secondly Walt told the arian dudes to not come and last he offered all his money just to save Hank.

Hank got himself killed because of pride, when he found out walt was heisenberg it hurt his ego, so he pursued walt out of revenge. He even used Jesse and said he didn't give a crap if Jesse died in the process.

I've only seen 5 minutes of Citizen Kane and MAN, that movie fucking sucks. Can't believe the film dweebs who think it's a top 3 all time. I'm definitely NOT just being contrarian. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back